Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 12:41   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Finally changed the bulb to Philips xtreme - vision. Got it for Rs.500 from GP road. Changed the pilot lamps to LEDs.
Have to test it tonight. The only issue till now is that when the headlamp is on and the bike is in idle, the battery indicator starts to blink after a couple of minutes. Have to switch it off on signals i guess. Apart from this no issues.
I changed the stock bulb with Osram NBs 60/55W on saturday. Went on a trip to Mysore and back yesterday. Used the low-beam mostly and was happy but it needs a little focusing.

Can you let me know the brand,price and details of the LEDs? I would like to upgrade the same to save some power.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:05   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I changed the stock bulb with Osram NBs 60/55W on saturday. Went on a trip to Mysore and back yesterday. Used the low-beam mostly and was happy but it needs a little focusing.

Can you let me know the brand,price and details of the LEDs? I would like to upgrade the same to save some power.
The ones i changed were cheap chinese ones. They cost 100 a pair and have 5 LEDs per unit. They are direct fit inplace of the existing pilot lamps on my bike. There are expensive options available with more number of SMD LEDs, the max i saw was 18 per unit. They are available in either white or blue. Check if the color output of your HL matches with these LEDs, else it might look a bit odd like it does on mine
knaveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 15:54   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
There were a couple of days when it was really cold in winter, I took out the scooter early in the morning, and it would stop if the accelerator did not give any input. I thought it would be because of the higher wattage lamp, which made the battery die down. But haven't faced the issue since. Even when I gave it for servicing a couple of days back, he did not report any problem.
Going from the bold parts, I guess there's no need to upgrade. Seems more like a cold start issue. Try warming up the bike in the mornings before you start moving for a minute or so. You can do this by just leaving the bike on idle with the choke pulled for a minute or so. I doubt you should have the problem after that.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 14th January 2013 at 15:55.
Old 14th January 2013, 20:43   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I replaced the stock bulb on my TVS Wego with the Philips Xtreme 60/55 H4 bulb from my car. No changes done to any electricals whatsoever.
Now the throw in low beam is superb and quite wide and bright for a Scooter. I try not to go on high beam as this is extra bright and may end up blinding motorists.

I am on the stock battery which was 4 amp i guess. There were a couple of days when it was really cold in winter, I took out the scooter early in the morning, and it would stop if the accelerator did not give any input. I thought it would be because of the higher wattage lamp, which made the battery die down. But haven't faced the issue since. Even when I gave it for servicing a couple of days back, he did not report any problem.

Is there a need to go for a higher rated battery or a relay? My scooter was bought in April 2011. The replacement was done at the TVS service station itself. My two year warranty expires in April 2013.
Since Wego is not fully DC, i dont think its deriving power directly from battery. So its drawing power from the alternator. BTW i thought wego has 9Ampere battery. Can you check your manual.If battery is indeed 4A then upgrading to 9A does not make sense because it will take long time to charge it!

No need for relay et all. Stock wiring can handle +20W of power easily.
Old 14th January 2013, 22:36   #155
BHPian

Attaching pics of the new HL.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-low-beam-low-res.jpg  

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-high-beam-low-res.jpg  

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-pilots-low-res.jpg  

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-pilot-headlamps-lowres.jpg  

Last edited by knaveen : 14th January 2013 at 22:44.
knaveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 20:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I was checking the manual of my pulsar, and looks like the headlight bulb is a H7 bulb, so looks like i cant fit the h4 bulb from my car on to my bike.
So does it mean I need to buy a H7 bulb for the same.
Please advise.
Old 17th January 2013, 20:35   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Guys

So does it mean I need to buy a H7 bulb for the same.
Please advise.
Sir,
Why are you not exploring the option of upgrading it to the projector headlight similar to that of 220P. It has a good spread and quite powerful. Have a check on it before you want to explore anything else.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:13   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Sir,
Why are you not exploring the option of upgrading it to the projector headlight similar to that of 220P. It has a good spread and quite powerful. Have a check on it before you want to explore anything else.

Can we fit the projector of 220 in pulsar old gen 200 ?
I basically wanted something better than the present headlights.
Let me see if we can do that.
Thanks Maheshji
Cheers
Old 18th January 2013, 08:40   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Maheshji
Cheers

Old gen 200 uses a H7 lamp? I dont think so. Because, it has both high and low beam in a single bulb. It has to be H4. Can you verify?
Old 18th January 2013, 11:42   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Maheshji
Cheers
Sure you can. I have a P220 projector fitted in a Fiero with stock electrical. I want to now increase the power rating by doing the works at Ruby. Unfortunately, have not been able to find the time to go visit them.

I want to change the whole electrical system in the Fiero and upgrade it to RTR system. Anyone done this? How long would it take? Would like to have a little idea before I visit Ruby.

MaSh
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-blue.jpg  

Old 18th January 2013, 11:42   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Old gen 200 uses a H7 lamp? I dont think so. Because, it has both high and low beam in a single bulb. It has to be H4. Can you verify?
Yup, i was also surprised to see the same in the manual itself.
Can any of pulsar owner check the same in their booklets also and confirm.

Cheers
Old 18th January 2013, 12:14   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Maheshji
Cheers
Sirji,
Absolutely no hassles in getting them fitted. Since they both are from the same stable it should be a seamless shift except for some damage to your wallet.
This would be a worthwhile exercise if you plan to keep the bike for long else not worth spending that much on it.
Am not quite sure on the lighting coils in Bajaj, else you might want to upgrade the lighting coil and fit a 55/60 or even better go in for those 90/100 head light bulbs. Bulbs might not be an expensive affair and coils would be a one time investment. Not sure if the reflector can hold up to the heat though which needs some citation.

All the best and please do post some snaps of your bike in your garage
Old 19th January 2013, 01:29   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Sirji,
Absolutely no hassles in getting them fitted. Since they both are from the same stable it should be a seamless shift except for some damage to your wallet.
This would be a worthwhile exercise if you plan to keep the bike for long else not worth spending that much on it.
Am not quite sure on the lighting coils in Bajaj, else you might want to upgrade the lighting coil and fit a 55/60 or even better go in for those 90/100 head light bulbs. Bulbs might not be an expensive affair and coils would be a one time investment. Not sure if the reflector can hold up to the heat though which needs some citation.

All the best and please do post some snaps of your bike in your garage
Its not a direct snap on transformation like you think. Separate brackets has to be fabricated and welded to accomodate the 220's fairing. Above all P220 has got a meaty 200W 3phase alternator to support the 55W twin pods whereas the 200 has got only 130W single phase alternator. On lower rpms battery drain will be the biggest issue. Another catch will be the conflicts with the BCU for the extra load which I doubt. It may not turnout to be a worthy effort.

Assume that your bike is UG4 which is DC lighting. Try with a 55/60W on the stock reflector and observe its supporting without any battery drain and BCU issues for a few days and then go with the upgrade. My 2 cents.
Old 26th January 2013, 19:33   #164
BHPian

DIY Headlamp upgrade on TVS Wego!

Last year I had upgraded the stock Headlamp Bulb (H4 55w/60w) on my CBR250R to a Philips Crystal Vision H4 55w/60w.

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-xtreme-vision1.jpg

So the OEM bulb from the CBR (Philips H4 55w/60w, made in Germany) was still lying with me.

Today being a holiday, I was home and had time to kill on my hands, so decided to plonk the 55w/60w bulb into my one month old TVS Wego

The OEM bulb on the Wego is Halonix HS1 35w/35w which is a PX43T socket.

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-oem-halonix-hs1-35w35.jpg

The bulb i intended to replace this with was an H4, which is a P43T socket. But, the good news is that, a PX43T socket can also accept a P43T socket bulb! So, you can use an H4 bulb on a HS1 socket, but cannot use a HS1 buld on a H4 socket.

Opening up six screws with a philips head screwdriver, and you can pull out the headlight console..

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-open-headlight-console.jpg

Replace the bulb and screw everything back into place..

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-philips-h4-55w60.jpg

Thats it. Done!

I did the headlamp change in the afternoon, hence could not click before after pics to show a true comparision.

Though this is an apples to oranges comparision, I did a comparo with a neighbours 2yr old honda activa equipped with a Halonix 35w/35w halogen bulb. See for yourself...

Back alley (no light)
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-no-lights.jpg

Activa OEM 35w low beam
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-activa-low-beam.jpg

Wego 55w H4 low beam
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-wego-low-beam.jpg

Activa OEM 35w High beam
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-activa-ligh-beam.jpg

Wego 55w H4 High beam
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-wego-high-beam.jpg

Only cause of concern is that, I'm not too sure whether the skinny bulb connector / low gauge wiring will be able to handle the additional 20watts of current in the long run.

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-bulb-connector.jpg

So, overall..

+ 10mins DIY job that cost me nothing!
+ two fold increase in headlight intensity & spread!
+ The illumination can now rivall that of my CBR250!

So far, I'm loving it!
vikash49 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 20:32   #165
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY Headlamp upgrade on TVS Wego!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Last year I had upgraded the stock Headlamp Bulb (H4 55w/60w) on my CBR250R to a Philips Crystal Vision H4 55w/60w.

The OEM bulb on the Wego is Halonix HS1 35w/35w which is a PX43T socket.

Only cause of concern is that, I'm not too sure whether the skinny bulb connector / low gauge wiring will be able to handle the additional 20watts of current in the long run.

So far, I'm loving it!
Even I found the original lamps of the Wego are a dud. I upgraded to Philips Xtreme Power 80%. I share your concern on the wire. I've been running it for over three months, sparingly used during night time driving. So far so good.

Last edited by hrman : 26th January 2013 at 20:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks