Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2014, 19:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review. EDIT, now sold!

This scooter served us for past 7 years as my Dad's daily ride and for past 6 months, it is used by my better half (Yamaha Ray became dad's ride now)

About the vehicle
Make: TVS
Model: Scooty Pep+
Color: Red + Silver
Year: 2007
No.of owners: Single

Purchase Background
Though we have 4+ cars in the family, my Dad don't drive 4 wheeler and doctor advised him not to use geared vehicles (some nerve problem, he shouldn't stress his foot by frequent usage of gears and brake) So left with the choice of gearless scooters.

When we decided to get a new vehicle, we had the below 2 wheelers at home
- 2004 TVS XL Super (used by Dad)
- 2004 TVS Scooty ES (for Bhabhi)
- 2004 TVS Max 100R (Bro's spare bike)
- 2003 TVS Max 100R (my daily ride)

One could notice all the vehicles are of same age. We used to change our rides once in 3~4 years irrespective of the mileage (to be frank, we are forced with love to change the vehicles by TVS dealer) Except the Scooty ES (which covered less than 3k km) in the above list, other vehicles are replaced with 07 Scooty Pep, 07 Star Sport, 07 Star Sport respectively.

Another point to notice is 2 Max100Rs were replaced by 2 Star Sports. Myself and Brother (elder) had 2 TVS 50 XLs, 2 Max100Rs, 2 Star Sports. After that he stopped using 2 wheelers and I keep on changing my rides.

Requirement:
* Gearless Scooter
* Light weight
* Soft Suspension
* Economic (FE + maintenance)
* Wide seat
* TVS brand preferred

Though the last point isn't a mandatory criteria, dad used to be TVS customer from 1995 (ever since the dealership was opened in our town, right from day 1) and we had/have a very good relationship with that particular dealership. I remember those days I never paid them for the service, they will collect the money from my dad at home on weekends. Even we have taken delivery of bikes without paying anything / without submitting any documents. Everything is processed at our home 2 or 3 days later. Till date whenever my Dad visit them, the only person to attend him will be the Owner (be it new vehicle purchase or the current vehicle service)

With the above criteria, we are left with the only option of Scooty Pep and this beauty joined our family on 1st Mar 2007.

Added Accessories
- Indicator buzzer
- Body protectors

Ownership review
Covered 70k km in 7 years, with
- 3 sets of tyres
- 2 or 3 batteries (couldn't recall)
- Approx 1500 liters of Petrol
- Engine is untouched (touch-wood)
- Drive belt complete assy replaced a year ago
- Front fork serviced twice

- Fuel Efficient (Best: 58kmpl, worst: 42kmpl)
- Super soft rear suspension*
- Wider seat
- Practical storage area
- Good lighting

Dislikes:
- Poor braking (worse than Scooty ES)
- Super soft rear Suspension*
- Not sturdy on windy days / highway drives

Soft suspension is both +ve & -ve. Gives comfort on country roads for solo rides, whereas with a pillion it scraps every humps and ride becomes so bouncy.

Some sweet & sour memories:
- On weekends almost everyone in family (except Mom) will use this vehicle (we are so much fond of driving it)
- My nephews prefer Scooty pep over other vehicles at home (may be due to the bright color)
- Wider seat was enjoyed by Mom and the old couple started travelling together for shopping / temples
- This scooter is considered to be one of the luckiest and had a great attachment with everyone in family (that's the reason to have it still)

- Met with an accident once and all the plastic parts were replaced (it was parked on the road side and a TATA Ace hit the vehicle, loosing control)
- Mom & Dad fell once, when avoiding a dog hit
- 2 punctures made my Dad push the vehicle for about 5 km (could have been avoided, either by calling our driver or mechanic. but Dad is a kind of person never depend on someone / hate disturbing others)
- Vehicle was scratch-less till last September. When I taken her to Chennai, I was almost like crying when I was her with broken body panels, scratches in every panel. Thanks to the transporter.

From Sep'2013 she got retired (Gifted my Dad Yamaha Ray)
Overall we are very much satisfied with the vehicle and we still love it.

Adding few snaps.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review. EDIT, now sold!-dscn7830.jpg  

TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review. EDIT, now sold!-dscn7831.jpg  

TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review. EDIT, now sold!-dscn7832.jpg  

TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review. EDIT, now sold!-dscn7833.jpg  

TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review. EDIT, now sold!-dscn7834.jpg  

TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review. EDIT, now sold!-dscn7835.jpg  

TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review. EDIT, now sold!-dscn7836.jpg  

Mr.Boss is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 00:40   #2
BHPian

re: TVS Scooty Pep+, 7 years & 70k kms : Longterm ownership review

Great review there and nice TVS family. We were also a TVS family until I bought my latest ride. My mom rides a TVS Scooty Pep (same color) too and she loves the freedom that it gives her and the convenience of the CVT. While you were doing 10K a year, our Scooty has done only 15K in 7 years, battery changed once. Hardly used for long distances, but it's up for it when you ask it.
hellmet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Recent Service Update:
Odo: 70800km (Couple of weeks back and the previous service was at 66k km)
- Transmission Oil change : Motul Semi-synthetic
- Fork Oil + Oil seal change (LH fork started leaking) : Endurance Oil + OE Oil seals
- Carburetor cleaning
- Brake cleaning (Didn't change the shoes, they are left with a good life)
- Water Wash

Didn't touch the battery as it is less than 6 months old

Entire process took less than 5 hours and costed 700 INR

In this 70k km, she never visited any garage outside TVS.A.S.S and this is the first service done at a private garage (the one where I restored my couple of RXs)

Observation after service:
- No major change in engine behavior (or I failed to observe) except for a improved acceleration
- Braking improved significantly
- Ride quality improved drastically (front suspension)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Great review there and nice TVS family. We were also a TVS family until I bought my latest ride.
Thanks hellmet. Nice to hear about another 'TVS Family'
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:14   #4
BHPian

Hi, My daughter has a TVS Scooty Pep+, but it is me who uses it more than she. Over the past 7 years it has covered just 5k odd km. From the last year or so, I have been getting a lot of starting problems which incidentally gets right by itself in a couple of days. Such episodic occurrences have frustrated me and the recurrent visits to the ASS were of no help. Now, again the ride is in the ASS for repairs. Hope it gets well this time.
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Hi, My daughter has a TVS Scooty Pep+, but it is me who uses it more than she. Over the past 7 years it has covered just 5k odd km. From the last year or so, I have been getting a lot of starting problems which incidentally gets right by itself in a couple of days.
5k in 7 years? Which translates less than 2km/day.

And regarding the starting trouble, try with some private garage. Have you changed the spark plug? If not check for the condition of spark plug and try cleaning the carburetor once.
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:57   #6
BHPian

re: TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review - Now Sold !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Hi, My daughter has a TVS Scooty Pep+, but it is me who uses it more than she. Over the past 7 years it has covered just 5k odd km. From the last year or so, I have been getting a lot of starting problems which incidentally gets right by itself in a couple of days. Such episodic occurrences have frustrated me and the recurrent visits to the ASS were of no help. Now, again the ride is in the ASS for repairs. Hope it gets well this time.
Starting trouble on our equally less used Scooty was due to a bad battery. I was told that even the kick-start uses the battery (don't know why). Once we changed the battery (that was obviously dead), no issues anymore.
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:06   #7
BHPian

re: TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review - Now Sold !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
5k in 7 years? Which translates less than 2km/day.

And regarding the starting trouble, try with some private garage. Have you changed the spark plug? If not check for the condition of spark plug and try cleaning the carburetor once.
Yes Mr.Boss, I take the scooter for odd purchases and very short trips only. Hence the extremely low running. Thanks for the suggestion to visit private garage. This time round I have given it to the ASS. Lets see the outcome.

hellmet, my scooter battery is totally dead too. I have asked them to replace it.

Last edited by anilagdr : 2nd June 2014 at 19:09.
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Clicked 6 months ago, at my hometown.
Both scooters posing together
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Scooty Pep+, 9 years & 76k kms : Longterm ownership review. EDIT, now sold!-dscn5991.jpg  

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 2nd June 2014 at 20:15.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 12:06   #9
BHPian

Hi Boss,

I think yours and mine scooty are identical twins
Same color, same year etc.

Well, My car was loved mainly by me but our Pep+ was loved by entire family.

Three of us rod on it defying the limit of 130 kg and never had any problem. Just changed the battery after 3 years.

We liked its lightness but at the same time a strong chassis.
The service is cheaper too.

Last edited by Wanderers : 5th June 2014 at 12:09.
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
We liked its lightness but at the same time a strong chassis.
The service is cheaper too.
I do agree here.
The only let down is the weak rear suspension.
Old 22nd November 2016, 09:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Update : Scooter Sold
Close to 10 years and 76k+ on odo (covered only 6k km in past 3 years)

Reason for sale : We have a 2012 Scooty Streak within family, covered around 5k km and hardly used in past 1 year.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks