Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 15:24   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

My friend has just bought the Duke here in Bangalore. It was pre-owned and had run only for 2800 kms or so. I did a ride test and also checked for any signs of damage. There didn't seem to be any.

But my question is this - though I have felt this on the CBR, in stop-n-go traffic, do you guys feel the heat from the engine? Does it become really hot? I haven't felt it was too hot on the CBR (maybe I have got used to it now) but I felt it was more on the Duke? Feedback?
Old 26th November 2012, 15:49   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Does it become really hot? I haven't felt it was too hot on the CBR (maybe I have got used to it now) but I felt it was more on the Duke? Feedback?
Slightly more than the CBR yes. I don't know if the faring helps channel the heat better on the CBR - I have never seen more than 3 lines on the gauge. But, for the Duke, as long as the bars stay within the first segment of the gauge (gauge is divided into 2 segments), nothing to worry.

Doc, Yes a comparo is due. I was hoping to start a new thread on it but if I can't find time soon, then will pen down some thoughts briefly here.

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 26th November 2012 at 15:50. Reason: Added last line
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 17:06   #633
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Doc, Yes a comparo is due. I was hoping to start a new thread on it but if I can't find time soon, then will pen down some thoughts briefly here.
Start a new one bro. It will get lost here. Plus this thread looks like its saturated in terms of posts.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:20   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Took part in 'Orange Day' at ecr speedway, chennai yesterday. Came 4th out of 5 :( but was happy I was in the same league as the leaders as all of us lapped the 5th guy . Was an OK event, could have done better with the time management as we hardly had 5 laps for practice and directly put to race.

Happily however I was not involved in any accidents which was my goal.

Also 1st time riding my bike 'Super moto style'..Boy it was fun. My only problem was transition bet'n rear wheel skid before entry and the entry itself, was not very confident getting into the corner with the rear wheel skiddding and so I was very slow at entry.

Other than that I learned a lot and have a new found confidence in me boike. never knew this thing was so damn capable.

Did any one on here participate as well ?? I was no.7 with a silver SOL helmet.
Was the last guy you lapped wearing an Orange SOL Helmet? If so, then that was my friend, not very sure if he's on the forum. But he did say that he came last
Old 27th November 2012, 12:16   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Was the last guy you lapped wearing an Orange SOL Helmet? If so, then that was my friend, not very sure if he's on the forum. But he did say that he came last
No, I think he was wearing a white motocross helmet.
Old 27th November 2012, 21:05   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
BUMP !!!
Most of us shift by feel.

But what makes for the quickest acceleration - shifting at peak torque (8000 rpm) or shifting at peak power (10000 rpm)?
Pls. also see
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2948258

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th December 2012, 12:43   #637
BHPian

Hi All,

My Duke had it's first puncture today. Three holes by two nails as one of the nail also brushed the sidewall of the rear tire to create another miniature gap.

The main holes were "plugged" with rubber but the one one the sidewall (the harder rubber) could not be plugged.

With a lot of hesitation, I asked the "local puncture" guy to put a tube on.

Would need all your advices on the next steps:
1. The tire as such can be repaired claimed the local guy - by heating some rubber and plugging the sidewall from inside, but I'm against this option unless someone confirms this is safe
2. Change the rear tire for ~4000 Rs - Expensive (Peace is costly)
3. Continue with the tube (meant to fit the Pulsar)

Additionally, I find the Rear Disc completely lost its bite. But since I mostly use the front, I am not that worried now. Concern comes up imagining a hard braking situation. I've closely monitored when the wheel was being put back and nothing seems to point at why the Disc is (almost) non functional now. Any thoughts here also would help if there is any DIY involved.

Thanks in advance, folks!

PS: Sorry Doc, it is your thread stolen again
Old 26th December 2012, 13:13   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
My Duke had it's first puncture today. Three holes by two nails as one of the nail also brushed the sidewall of the rear tire to create another miniature gap.

The main holes were "plugged" with rubber but the one one the sidewall (the harder rubber) could not be plugged.

With a lot of hesitation, I asked the "local puncture" guy to put a tube on.

Would need all your advices on the next steps:
1. The tire as such can be repaired claimed the local guy - by heating some rubber and plugging the sidewall from inside, but I'm against this option unless someone confirms this is safe
2. Change the rear tire for ~4000 Rs - Expensive (Peace is costly)
3. Continue with the tube (meant to fit the Pulsar)

Additionally, I find the Rear Disc completely lost its bite. But since I mostly use the front, I am not that worried now. Concern comes up imagining a hard braking situation. I've closely monitored when the wheel was being put back and nothing seems to point at why the Disc is (almost) non functional now.
Hi!
I had the unfortunate experience of cracking my rear rim on my Leh ride early this year. The rear rim had a small crack and a small bend too. At Srinagar, I managed to find a tire guy who put in the biggest tube he could find. It was 110/70 17 inch tube. I completed the leh circuit after that and then some back home in bangalore. That very same tube lasted me ~4000kms after which I eventually did a DIY to replace the rim at home.

So, to answer your query. If you have the budget, go ahead and replace the tire with a new one. If you do have the budget to replace, do try what your puncture guy suggested (i.e to fix the sidewall puncture). Worth a try anyway. Great if it works, you don't lose anything if it doesn't. I have heard of something called a 'mushroom' patch (?) to fix side wall tears on tires. Maybe you can take your wheel to a bigger tire shop. In any case, your tube should do just fine until you can save up and buy a pair of new rubber.

When I replaced my rim, the rear brake did lose almost all it's bite. I was worried too. I thought it was the de-grease spray I had generously used in the bolt holes while installing the rotor. However, it sorted itself out in maybe about 50-100kms. So, fret not if there was nothing visibly done wrong during your wheel install.

Ride safe,
Kapil
wolfy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 13:29   #639
Senior - BHPian

How many kms have you run gk01? Maybe its simply a matter of changing your brake pads, if everything else looks ok (brake fluid, brake lines not leaking, rotor not warped).

I do not think plugging a small sidewall hole should be a major issue. Its much better than running a tubeless tyre with a tube IMHO.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 13:56   #640
BHPian

Quote:
How many kms have you run gk01?
2300 Kms on the odo - about 2 months into the purchase.

Quote:
Maybe its simply a matter of changing your brake pads, if everything else looks ok (brake fluid, brake lines not leaking, rotor not warped).
I felt the same but fail to understand how re-fitting the tire could have impacted the brake pads. Will get it check with the SVC.

Quote:
I do not think plugging a small sidewall hole should be a major issue. Its much better than running a tubeless tyre with a tube IMHO.
Thanks, from whatever I was explained about the procedure - "heat a piece of rubber and seal the sidewall hole" it did sound sensible but was just concerned about any unknown side effects it could cause. Especially given the fact that this region in the sidewall is the one that clamps on to the rim (how I wish I took some pictures) and what impact and additional piece of rubber (inspite of all the heating, sealing etc.) in this region might create.

Or am I imagining too much?
Old 26th December 2012, 14:11   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
So, to answer your query. If you have the budget, go ahead and replace the tire with a new one. If you do have the budget to replace, do try what your puncture guy suggested (i.e to fix the sidewall puncture). Worth a try anyway. Great if it works, you don't lose anything if it doesn't...
True! Will probably visit another puncture shop also to see if they have a better solution than what this guy was talking of. It was the "heating" word in the process which kindled my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
When I replaced my rim, the rear brake did lose almost all it's bite. I was worried too. I thought it was the de-grease spray I had generously used in the bolt holes while installing the rotor. However, it sorted itself out in maybe about 50-100kms. So, fret not if there was nothing visibly done wrong during your wheel install.
Thanks wolfy! That puts one thing off my "worry" list
Old 19th January 2013, 00:55   #642
BHPian

Quote:
How many kms have you run gk01? Maybe its simply a matter of changing your brake pads, if everything else looks ok (brake fluid, brake lines not leaking, rotor not warped).

Ebonho, how much have you got this on the ODDO now, Mine has reached its 3rd service now, without any travel or tour on it, just normal city riding, and not even office commute on it

Any one Idea's over how much would it cost this, time,
Things worn out, Tyre, Chain Set, Cone Set, Indicators Rear, and Yes Oil
Old 19th January 2013, 13:51   #643
Senior - BHPian

Not been riding the Duke much off late bro. Just some track days and the Orange Days. Taking her to Goa for the IBW on the 1st. Looking forward to that ride. My chain has developed kinked links too. Front brake not biting as well as before. Rear pads changed (200 bucks). The clutch too is giving a hint of revving at times in top gear. Need to get it looked at.
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:17   #644

Hello!!

I am curious to know if the KTM 200 alloys can withstand the ladakh terrain, I am planning to ride this june.
I would want to know if anyone has changed the alloys to steel rims and spokes and the hub replacement which is compatible to the disc brakes to the existing DUKE 200.
I have seen the team KTM doing the Raid de Himalayas with these modifications, can anyone share the details and also the Tyre specification for the same which would be compatible.
Old 24th January 2013, 12:18   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karandb View Post
I have seen the team KTM doing the Raid de Himalayas with these modifications, can anyone share the details and also the Tyre specification for the same which would be compatible.
Hero Impulse front wheel (including tyre) with spacers, and extended fork tubes.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-1234.jpg  

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-391716_3374181408119_1916811184_n.jpg  

Attached Images

ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks