Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 15:21   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: RE Classic Chrome 500 (9500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
hey avi congrats man.Love the helmet work done, brilliant is an understatement.

OT : Wonder why is that you havent made an attempt to smile in a single picture with the RE. You seem to have taken a liking for tbhp's Usher a.k.a samurai .
Thanks Riju. I have several more pictures and some of them with wifey where I am grinning for the camera. I didnt notice so much about the smile for camera pose. Will smile one specially for the camera and post it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
LOL!! Pandeyji, I am also on the same boat!!
I also bought my Gladiator in June 2006 on 3 yr loan. Pre paid the loan in full and received the NOC from ICICI bank and it's still lying with me for all these years and I haven't done anything to remove the hypothecation yet
Welcome to the club. I got the NOC twice from ICICI bank and once it got expired ( its valid for 3 months only). The one which i have is valid till March-2012. Hope I can get it done before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
What a BRILLIANT write up, nurtures every single emotion in the ownership of the beast.
The chrome is such a "drooool" and to complement that, the helmet
Congratulations on owning your dream, alas !
Thanks. I never was a huge fan of Bullet but, more of sportsbike but, after riding a bullet now i know what is the brohaha about it. Its an undescribable feeling.

Quote:
PS : This is the fastest bullet delivery i have ever come across
Even I think so. < 1 week is a record of sorts. Should I approach Guiness Book of world records?

Quote:
Second you on that. Even i am of the opinion that its either a classic or its none !
It was exactly the same feeling for me when I even remotely contemplated it. Classic OR No Bullet

Update

Today morning rode the bike first time after our Shamirpet ride with TBHPians on Sunday. It was a nice smooth run within the city to cover various personal errands.

After some 40kms when I returned home when i glanced down to my horror, the exhaust near the right foot peg was highly discoloured.

I immediately rushed to Kay Jee and started blazing away my guns in full glory. They put me on to the AP sales manager and he was polite and courteous and calmed me down and said, do not worry. We will get the silencer ( only the first half of the portion) replaced.

The portion that is discolored will be replaced with a brand new one when I go for my first service at 500kms (Current odo reading is 250kms)

However, I am a bit disappointed that this has happened so early in my ownership and would appreciate inputs for reason of same. My pulsar bike mechanic mentioned that due to improper tuning of the engine, the exhuast got really hot and got discoloured. So, he asked me to get the tuning rectified and it should be resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-img2012011300762.jpg  

Old 13th January 2012, 15:26   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
So, he asked me to get the tuning rectified and it should be resolved.
That is correct.

Silencer would either become blue or gold depending on state of engine tune.
One is lean and the other is rich. AFAIK blue is lean but not 100% sure.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 15:39   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Congrats Avinash, (hope i got your name right)
Congrats on the 500, beautiful pics and am loving the fact that you have a Cruze as well as a 500 as they both have a "THUMP" of different kind
The thrill of riding a motorcycle, early morning rides on the highways with chilled air gushing through the helmet, getting soaked when in rain, ahh i can never get enough of it.

Any other bike you really wanted to buy or was 500 the only choice?
Yup, you got my name right. And, thanks for your compliment. As you can imagine, I am a lover of power and willing to sacrifice in comparison to even comfort. That's why you see a Cruze and C-500 in my stable. Both, brutal to the core in performance

If I had the money, I would have bought a sportsbike like an R1, CBR1000 or ZZR-1400. Nothing less than a litre and 180bhp, you see

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That is correct.

Thanks. So can I ride it till my first service in same condition without any issues?

I still have 250kms for my 1st service and that is alteast 20-25 days away
Old 13th January 2012, 15:41   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks. So can I ride it till my first service in same condition without any issues?

I still have 250kms for my 1st service and that is alteast 20-25 days away
No idea on the FI controlled bikes.

Since its electronic, it might be some sensor issue and a quick check by the service center would be a good idea.

Found some interesting read: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/fo...pic=8580.0;all

and also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Only our bazooka comes with the cat in the bend but with the upswept its all free flow with just a baffle in the upswept.

Pros of Cat is only for pollution regulations

Cons- restricts free flow. It needs certain temperature to become functional until then it is a bit useless. Makes bend pipe a bit hotter and cause of discoloration of the bend at the exit on C5's

Last edited by bblost : 13th January 2012 at 15:51.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Today morning rode the bike first time after our Shamirpet ride with TBHPians on Sunday. It was a nice smooth run within the city to cover various personal errands.

After some 40kms when I returned home when i glanced down to my horror, the exhaust near the right foot peg was highly discoloured.

I immediately rushed to Kay Jee and started blazing away my guns in full glory. They put me on to the AP sales manager and he was polite and courteous and calmed me down and said, do not worry. We will get the silencer ( only the first half of the portion) replaced.

The portion that is discolored will be replaced with a brand new one when I go for my first service at 500kms (Current odo reading is 250kms)

However, I am a bit disappointed that this has happened so early in my ownership and would appreciate inputs for reason of same.
Welcome to the Bullet Club

Quote:
My pulsar bike mechanic mentioned that due to improper tuning of the engine, the exhuast got really hot and got discoloured. So, he asked me to get the tuning rectified and it should be resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That is correct.

Never knew that this could be the reason. Anyways always had my bikes set for slightly rich as high speed starvation didn't happen.

BTW Avi, you'll need to get the bike coupled to a scanner to check the air fuel mixture ratio and to change it.
Old 13th January 2012, 17:10   #66
BHPian

"After some 40kms when I returned home when i glanced down to my horror, the exhaust near the right foot peg was highly discoloured"

The spot where you have the blue and golden colour on the exhaust is where the CAT converter is fixed. This thing gets bloody hot and transfers the heat to the silencer, discolouring it. It is nothing to worry about.

But yes, if your silencer turns deep blue or golden at the bend pipe or the exhaust (Dholki) then it needs to be replaced. Cheers.
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 05:06   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that the colors are caused by the catalytic converter that is inside of the silencer.
When the cat is working, its temperature is a reflection on the amount of unburned hydrocarbons the engine is emitting. The more hydrocarbons emitted, the hotter the catalytic converter becomes.

More hydrocarbons equates with a richer fuel/ air mixture so the discoloration that is being seen indicates your engine is running slightly rich.
Rich is much better than lean for the engine, especially during its break in period.
A lean condition will cause burned valves and valve seats. The richer mixture on the other hand will not damage the engine parts (with the possible exception of fouling the spark plug) but the fuel economy will be somewhat lower.

For those interested, the colors are the same colors that bare steel goes thru when it is heated.
The first color is a yellow followed by a pale straw yellow followed by a brown, red/brown, then purple, then blue.

Those of you who followed the link to the American Royal Enfield site posted by bblost 3 posts up may have noticed the comment made by Kevin Mahoney which said:
"The issue is the heat at which the catalytic converters operate as pointed out by Bare.
Unfortunately there is no answer other than to grin and Bear it. "

Kevin is the man who owns the company which imports the Royal Enfield to America.
There are few people in America who know more about the UCE powered Royal Enfields because it is his job to know the product he sells.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 11:52   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
The spot where you have the blue and golden colour on the exhaust is where the CAT converter is fixed. This thing gets bloody hot and transfers the heat to the silencer, discolouring it. It is nothing to worry about.

But yes, if your silencer turns deep blue or golden at the bend pipe or the exhaust (Dholki) then it needs to be replaced. Cheers.
Wonderful to know that I am getting worried for no reason. In any case, I am getting the bend-pipe replaced during the 1st service (free of cost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
More hydrocarbons equates with a richer fuel/ air mixture so the discoloration that is being seen indicates your engine is running slightly rich.
Rich is much better than lean for the engine, especially during its break in period.
A lean condition will cause burned valves and valve seats. The richer mixture on the other hand will not damage the engine parts (with the possible exception of fouling the spark plug) but the fuel economy will be somewhat lower.
Thanks for the detailed inputs Jim. I am now much wiser in terms of exhausts, CAT's, Discoloration etc and read through that forum page including Kevin's comments

In short, my bike's engine is currently running in rich condition and wont damage any engine parts. As you right said about fuel economy, though I rode pretty sedately with no high revving throttle I still got a low FE (details in my update below)

So, when I give my bike for 1st service, should i ask the mechanics to tune the engine better so this discoloration doesnt happen? Thoughts please?

Alright, today is memorable in small way :-

a) I was successfully able to kick-start the bike in 2 attempts in cold condition. And, just for fun sake, during my short ride this morning used only the kick-start and was able to start in first attempt. I reckon I am slowly getting the hang of it

b) Got my first tankful this morning before heading out. It was at 240kms (Minus 11kms) : 9 Litres of petrol = 25.55KMPL

However, I dont think this method of calculation is most appropriate as I dont recall how much I filled up at time of bike delivery. Next tankful will provide a much accurate figure.

Some queries :-

a) What is the accurate air pressure for a better ride, comfort and also fuel efficiency? I am 80% of time riding alone. Remaining time wifey will be riding along.

b) I recall reading in manual, high pressure water wash is not recommended. Before washing, there are a set of instructions like cover the sensor console, engine bay etc before water washing the bike. It sounded too cubersome.

Is that method to be followed for real or can be discounted as a manafacturers advice bordering on ideal conditions?

c) At 60kmph, I feel a very slight vibration in handle ( tried leaving the handle and riding, goes straight). Is this normal?

d) Front disk brakes are excellent. However, when you apply them, there is a very light whirring noise (cannot be heard in traffic conditions). Is that normal for a disk brake?

And, Blisterning Barnacles and Ten Thousand Typhoons, just when the throttle slack is completed, odo is at 60kmph.

That is when main throttle is not even opened. Awesome, Super Awesome. I am lovin' this bike !!!
Old 14th January 2012, 13:22   #69
BANNED

Congrats 008! Quite a stunner you got there! Didn't know CL500 Chrome could look this mesmerising. And the power and torque you spoke about. I got to ride one and see. Enfield sure has come a long way. No wonder it is raining Enfields everywhere. As for your thread, your bike pics will send many non-RE guys to RE showrooms.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 14:43   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Welcome to the Bullet Club

Never knew that this could be the reason. Anyways always had my bikes set for slightly rich as high speed starvation didn't happen.

BTW Avi, you'll need to get the bike coupled to a scanner to check the air fuel mixture ratio and to change it.
+ 1 to both MC

My assumption was that the ECU is already tuned to provide the optimum fuel and air mixture. Unless there is something which is not working well. My suggestion dig a little deeper, I can understand this happening in a Carb bull, but a FI...well very interesting.
Old 15th January 2012, 09:22   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

mobike008:
These are just my thoughts on your questions. I've been wrong before so take them for what they are worth.

What is the accurate air pressure for a better ride, comfort and also fuel efficiency?
A good starting place is the recommendations in your Owners Manual. You may try raising the pressures slightly to improve your fuel economy but some have found that at higher speeds which you may be using after the engine is past its slow speed break in period some instability may be noticed. If this occures, lower the pressures back to the ones in the manual.

At 60kmph, I feel a very slight vibration in handle...
Your motorcycle is a large displacement single cylinder bike with a very large piston. These have always been noted for having some vibration but the vibration should seem to be tied to the engine speed. If it is a much lower frequency it may be that your wheels are out of balance.

Front disk brakes are excellent. However, when you apply them, there is a very light whirring noise
You must have very good hearing! I think the sound is probably just the sound of the holes in the disk passing the brake pads while they are clamping the disk. If it is more of a grinding sound, examine the disk to see if there are deep score lines or grooves on both sides. If the disk looks like something has been just rubbing on it then everything is all right.

As for the discoloration of your silencer be sure to mention it to your dealers mechanic and perhaps they will give you a new one. They should also be able to patch into your computer to verify its settings.
These computers monitor the various sensors that tell your computer what the engine is doing. If there is a problem with one of them you will get some flashing codes from the engine light. This is the same light that glows for a moment when you begin to start the bike. If there are no flashing signals, the sensors are working correctly.
It is possible that the computers internal program might have a bug in it so it is worth asking them to check it.
If it has a problem they should be able to reprogram it.
Keep it shiny side up.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 15th January 2012 at 09:29.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 19:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
If I had the money, I would have bought a sportsbike like an R1, CBR1000 or ZZR-1400. Nothing less than a litre and 180bhp, you see:
You can still ask your Dear Father in Law for a Gift: You will definitely get nothing less than a liter and 180 bhp

Your Bike Colour is awsome. Earlier Bullets used to have bad quality build. But the new generation seems to have better build with the UCE Engines.

My Dream Bike. Hope to own one day with the launch of TBTS 500. I occasionally ride a Road Vibrator (Diesel Bullet) belonging to my friend. Awesome Mileage - 70 KMS to a liter of Diesel with awesome vibrations.
Old 16th January 2012, 11:58   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
mobike008:
What is the accurate air pressure for a better ride, comfort and also fuel efficiency?
A good starting place is the recommendations in your Owners Manual. You may try raising the pressures slightly to improve your fuel economy but some have found that at higher speeds which you may be using after the engine is past its slow speed break in period some instability may be noticed. If this occures, lower the pressures back to the ones in the manual.

At 60kmph, I feel a very slight vibration in handle...
Your motorcycle is a large displacement single cylinder bike with a very large piston. These have always been noted for having some vibration but the vibration should seem to be tied to the engine speed. If it is a much lower frequency it may be that your wheels are out of balance.

Front disk brakes are excellent. However, when you apply them, there is a very light whirring noise
You must have very good hearing! I think the sound is probably just the sound of the holes in the disk passing the brake pads while they are clamping the disk. If it is more of a grinding sound, examine the disk to see if there are deep score lines or grooves on both sides. If the disk looks like something has been just rubbing on it then everything is all right.
Thanks Jim for the detailed feedback. I dont think there is anything wrong with the disc brakes, as said, there is a light whirring sound which cannot be heard in traffic. I will now assume that sound is just part of its functionality

I havent even glanced at the air pressure section in the manual. Good idea, will start from there.

With regards to vibration, it is so slight that its not an issue. I am just a bit too finicky with overall feedback of most mechanisms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Congrats 008! Quite a stunner you got there! Didn't know CL500 Chrome could look this mesmerising. And the power and torque you spoke about. I got to ride one and see. Enfield sure has come a long way. No wonder it is raining Enfields everywhere. As for your thread, your bike pics will send many non-RE guys to RE showrooms.
Thanks! Rightly said, this color combination has set my heart flutter from the moment i laid eyes on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Your Bike Colour is awsome. Earlier Bullets used to have bad quality build. But the new generation seems to have better build with the UCE Engines.
I bieleve the new generation bullets with UCE engine is much lighter, shiner and supposedly more fuel efficient especially the FI engine. Agree that overall built quality has improved a pretty good notch

Came across these accessory for the Bullet. Doggone, the pricing is steep though. But, makes it a nice accessory for sure, what do you think?

Petrol Tank Lid (Risky..eh?)

RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-402422_227858297294882_100002121390841_529135_318746847_n.jpg

Bull Brake Levers

RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-399648_228358180578227_100002121390841_530184_1456742153_n.jpg
Old 16th January 2012, 13:08   #74
BHPian

Quote:

Even I think so. < 1 week is a record of sorts. Should I approach Guiness Book of world records?
The random visit to the RE showroom and the entire smooth process is a record in itself.
But im sure many 'influential' bhpians may have a similar delivery experience.

The silencer part is funny though.
Wonder how it might look if you would keep it intact for another couple of rides and let the engine do its part.
You then might try approaching Guinness for the weirdly looking bullet you'd have.
Old 16th January 2012, 20:29   #75
BHPian

Petrol Tank Lid (Risky..eh?)

Stay away from the tank lid ! it could change your voice from tenor to soprano

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th January 2012 at 10:59. Reason: removed invalid quote strings
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks