Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 11:42   #1
BANNED

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread

This is my first thread about the ownership of the Swift Dzire VXI.

We needed a replacement for one of our cars, the Tata indica DLS. The indica had clocked 80k on the Odo and needed an urgent replacement. We did not have anything particular in mind but still, we needed a value for money and a decent looking car which returned good mileage.
The maruti stable had just launched the Swift Dzire. It looked pretty good according to me and had really good interiors if compared to the Swift and the Tata Indica we owned.
I told my dad about it and showed him the swift dzire website. He too liked the car and agreed for a test drive.

That was the end of discussion for the time being.
The very next day, my Dad called me up and asked me to come to the office. He said he had something important going on and he needed me help. I rushed. As soon as i reached, i asked the receptionist what was going on and she told me that there was some Maruti Suzuki guy sitting inside.
There was a sales rep from spectra motors, with a brochure of the Swift Dzire. Dad told me that he was going to book the car and he wanted me to select the color and the variant.
I asked him, 'Dad, did you take a test drive?'
Dad- 'No son. I do not think it is needed. Maruti is a trusted brand and we own many maruti cars. Plus, the Dzire is just going to be a spare car and not me neither your mom is going to drive it.' (My dad always does this. I don't think he has ever taken a single test drive in his life. Its like buying a car is not a big deal for him )

I was disappointed. I had driven the swift, but i wanted to test drive the dzire before closing the deal. But again, my dad was not ready to listen. He wanted to book the car once and for all.
So, i gave up and took a thorough look at the brochure. Maruti had done a great job and the car looked really good in the pictures. I wanted the navy blue color but it had a six month waiting period. The sales rep told me that if i chose the silky silver, or the golden, he could give me the delivery within 2 months. So, i chose the metallic Silky Silver.
For the variant, i chose the VXI as it was only me who was going to use the car and I was going to use it for city driving only. (We had a Scorpio V series for long trips).
So, the car was booked. A brand new swift dzire vxi, metallic silky silver.

Six or Seven weeks later in the second week of April 2008, We got the delivery of the Dzire. The car looked really good and was as equally good in driving. I was pleased. Not taking a test drive was not so bad and I don't regret buying the Dzire.

I really liked the car. Till now, i have never let anyone else touch it and not even once has a driver driven it.
Maruti has great after sales service and I have not been experiencing any problem with their service.

Till Date, my car has crossed 17000 km and it performs as good as it did when it was new. Though there are some bits where i think maruti should have done better.

What i like;
1. The looks
2. Gearshift is really smooth and hassle free.
3. The car gives a really good mileage of 17-18kmpl on the highways.
4. The music system is really good and looks good too.
5. Front legroom is great.
6. Touches 160kmph easily on the mumbai-pune expressway.

What i dont like;
1. I started hearing rattling and creaking noises from the front left side.
2. Maruti should take steps on improving the ride quality of the car.
3. The quality of plastics could have been better
4. The rear legroom is unacceptable and not suitable for tall people.
5. The horn stopped working before the first service.

Here are some aftermarket parts i installed;
1. A sporty looking spoiler with led.
2. Rear parking sensors.
3. Seat covers (which need replacement now)
4. Floor mats
5. Window films.

here are some pictures of the car...
I will upload more pictures later.
Do not hesitate to give me your suggestions and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12985.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12976.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12977.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12978.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12980.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12982.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12983.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12984.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12986.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12988.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12989.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12993.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12994.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12995.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12996.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12997.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12998.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc12991.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th January 2011 at 09:38. Reason: Blanked out number plate on request
Old 27th December 2010, 12:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread

DMehta, I own a swift Dzire VDI and it is due for 20K service now. I too face the same rattling and creaking noisesnoise from left side. I hear from most of the swift owners about this front left side rattle consistently. I got to face this from 10k kms and pointed it to service guy in my third service, He told it was fixed when i took the car back. But it was actually not. Please let me know if you have any idea about source of this noise. My local mech told that it is coming from the left side coil spring, I will have to get it fixed in coming service somehow as it irritates a lot in slow speeds . To avoid and ignore this noise i started to keep my sound system on by default whenever ignition is on.

Last edited by BulZire : 27th December 2010 at 12:08.
Old 27th December 2010, 14:57   #3
BANNED

I dont have nay idea about the source of the noise! and i too do the same thing, I increase the volume of the stereo when i hear such noises.
Old 27th December 2010, 15:10   #4
BANNED

The seat covers i presently have, are really bad. The leather has started peeling off and it looks really ugly. specially the driver's seat. I will post the picture too, but i want to change the seat covers now. I went to santacruz and browsed through many shops all the good seat covers with warranty were 6k plus.
But i came across a guy who told me he had seat covers for 4k, with 2 year material and stitching warranty and he swore that the leather would not peel off. What should i do? and plz if anyone can recommend any good accessories dealer where i can find good seat covers and steering cover?

I need new seat covers, can anyone please suggest any good accessories dealer in mumbai? The seat covers i have are really bad and the leather has started peeling off.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th December 2010 at 16:11. Reason: Back to back posts within 20mins. Please use edit button if posting again within 20 mins. Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 15:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

It is a known fault with Swift and Dezire and greasing the caliper pin is a temporary fix.
Old 27th December 2010, 15:21   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It is a known fault with Swift and Dezire and greasing the caliper pin is a temporary fix.
So what is the solution for this fault? (if there is a solution)
Old 27th December 2010, 16:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dmehta :
Nicely written report and good pictures too, but please don't mind me saying this but the spoiler on your car looks too big and out of place.IMO it makes the already bigger behind of the Dzire, even more bigger.
I have not much experience with the car.I have driven a relatives car very briefly(diesel). The engine was good and I must say the drivability was good, but it has got horrible rear seat space. The leg room is not much and three can't seat comfortably, but as you mostly drive alone, that should be non-issue for you.
Enjoy your car.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:32   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Dmehta :
Nicely written report and good pictures too, but please don't mind me saying this but the spoiler on your car looks too big and out of place.IMO it makes the already bigger behind of the Dzire, even more bigger.
I have not much experience with the car.I have driven a relatives car very briefly(diesel). The engine was good and I must say the drivability was good, but it has got horrible rear seat space. The leg room is not much and three can't seat comfortably, but as you mostly drive alone, that should be non-issue for you.
Enjoy your car.
Thanks for your view.
Even i thought that the spoiler looked too big at first, but then slowly i started liking it. It looks really good at night and gives a sporty look to the car according to me. I will post the night pics soon, do check them out.
Old 13th January 2011, 20:28   #9
BANNED

Here are some more pictures i clicked
Also, I am thinking of changing the tyres. Any recommendations? I dont want the mileage to be affected. I read somewhere that over sizing the tyres, may result in drop of mileage. So i need some advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-mkc.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc13016.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc13009.jpg  

Old 26th January 2011, 14:16   #10
DNM
BANNED

Hi DMehta.
i never liked the Swift Dzire, but after seeing you thread, i have started gaining interest in this car.
And yes, Maruti takes a lot of time to diagnose any kind of problem! being a maruti user myself, i know how it feels.
Enjoy your car and take it on long drives!
Old 27th January 2011, 09:38   #11
DNM
BANNED

Also, DMehta.
i wanted to ask about the handling of this car.
i went on a late night drive yesterday, with my wagonr (i was too bored to remove my civic out of the parking) and when i was driving it on the highway, it topped the speedo on 110. the car was very smooth and had no problems, except for a few noises here and there. the steering too was a little glitch and was not very responsive. do you have any similar problems on your Swift Dzire? ( i know the comparison between your car and mine is just not possible, but i was just asking to know, as you and i, both are maruti suzuki owners)
Old 28th January 2011, 20:11   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNM View Post
Also, DMehta.
i wanted to ask about the handling of this car.
i went on a late night drive yesterday, with my wagonr (i was too bored to remove my civic out of the parking) and when i was driving it on the highway, it topped the speedo on 110. the car was very smooth and had no problems, except for a few noises here and there. the steering too was a little glitch and was not very responsive. do you have any similar problems on your Swift Dzire? ( i know the comparison between your car and mine is just not possible, but i was just asking to know, as you and i, both are maruti suzuki owners)
The steering is very responsive and and there is no problem except for the rattling noises. Apart from that the car runs like a dream.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:29   #13
BANNED

The last sunday was a very unfortunate day for me and my car. Was driving comfortably on the western express highway at a speed of 60 kph. I had maintained my proper distance from the car in the front (Omni cab), but the driver driving behind me in a santro was continuously sticking to my car, not maintaining his proper distance and was trying to overtake even when there was a considerate amount of traffic. Suddenly, a car about 3 cars in front of mine stopped. The car behind it banged it, followed by several other cars banging onto each other. I applied brakes and my car would have stopped but the santro guy behind me was just too fast to stop. he banged onto the rear end of my car and due to that, my car moved forward and ran into the omni in front of it.
The damage-
1. Front bumper broken. (has to be replaced)
2. Rear bumper (has to be replaced)
3. Denting job on the bonnet
4. Denting job on the boot.
5. Front left mudguard broken
6. Headlights broken (both)
7. Alarm system of the car ringing continuously because the bonnet wasn't closing.
8. Fenders need to be replaced.

The car right now, is at the authorized maruti Suzuki workshop (Spectra Motors) They had given us an estimate of Rs. 45000/-
Insurance Claim - 25000/-
Will post all the details of repairs once the car is back .
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc13075.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc13071.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-img00056201101231812.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-img00055201101231812.jpg  

Swift Dzire VXi 17,000 km ownership thread-sdc13077.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd February 2011, 06:50   #14
TOR
BHPian

So sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope you are ok physically after the bang. Dont worry these things do keep happening and its not your fault.

Majority of the parts being classified 'plastic/rubber' is the real sour experience i guess as you will have to dish out 50% of the cost for the same.

Do keep us posted on the outcome of the repairs.

p.s : dont think the fenders need to be replaced at all.

Last edited by TOR : 2nd February 2011 at 06:51.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

When I started reading the thread I wanted to mention "17k km and scratch less in Mumbai" but then the sad experience of the accident. front headlights look good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks