Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 00:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Aha! Now this sounds like a juicy, masala story. Bring it on.
By the way, I did not get this tell-tail. I mean, from that pic I felt it is a small knobby kind of thingy peeping out from the bottom of the rear bumper but not entirely sure. Could you please elaborate what this exactly is in terms of functionality?
I think its a tow bar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaver_prad View Post
Its a trailer hitch. it comes on all Scorpio 4wd.

BTW Congratulations. Hope to read the full story and some pics

Yea..its used for towing trailers!

Last edited by Zappo : 15th October 2009 at 01:28.
Old 15th October 2009, 00:29   #17
Team-BHP Support

Ah! That's a nice story, you must have loved the look on the salesman's face when you went back. And congrats on one of the first mHawk 4WD on the forum. Are you the first?

Team-BHP keeps us so well informed, none of local dealers in my area bother to second guess my info anymore.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2009, 00:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Awesomes. If that is what one gets with the "URGENT FOR DESPATCH" sticker, then ho gaya kaam.
Very nice - congrats on the first 2.2 mHawk 4x4
Thanks, Hitanshu. toh kaam finally hua na?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
well congrats on your buy of the possibly first 4wd Mhawk on the forums.
put the vehicle through good use
Thanks, Vinay, I sure plan to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Aha! Now this sounds like a juicy, masala story. Bring it on.
By the way, I did not get this tell-tail. I mean, from that pic I felt it is a small knobby kind of thingy peeping out from the bottom of the rear bumper but not entirely sure. Could you please elaborate what this exactly is in terms of functionality?
That is the rear tow-hook. I didn't know it would be there till I saw it today! Here's another look.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-abcd0013.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah! That's a nice story, you must have loved the look on the salesman's face when you went back.
Oh yes, the salesman's face! I met the guy when I went to put in my booking, and I was kinda insistent that he writes 4WD in big bold letters in the OTF (order taken form) - just in case the fellow actually tries to sell me a 2WD by default! He was really, really embarrassed, but didn't lose his spunk. Saar, the customer is always right. And customers are so well informed nowadays, we dealers get to know about new cars from our customers before the company tells us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And congrats on one of the first mHawk 4WD on the forum. Are you the first?
Team-BHP keeps us so well informed, none of local dealers in my area bother to second guess my info anymore.
Thank you. I suppose this is the first mHawk 4WD ownership thread on T-BHP, but I really don't know if this was the first delivery. As to the info on the starting up of the mHawk 4WD production line, that surprisingly did not come from T-BHP - it came from a confidential source of my own. I did enquire about this a long time ago (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...nyone-got.html), but there was no definite info from forum members since then.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2009, 01:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
I think its a tow bar!
Its a trailer hitch. it comes on all Scorpio 4wd.

cadaver_prad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2009, 02:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

aha Doc. Well written. And well done!
Congrats!
Old 15th October 2009, 05:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Saw these trailer hooks on the vehicles in the US and was impressed that mahindra has added that on their scorpio.

Congrats on your new car man. Give us details on pricing and driving experience
Old 15th October 2009, 07:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

this is called a Pintle Hook. It has been available for years as an extra accessory at Mahindra spares division ever since they introduced the Scorpio 4WD version. they cost around 1000/- for the Scorpio one which is pictured in this thread but if you want to fit it onto a regular 2WD Scorp you have to change the rear bumper to a 4WD type - which costs about 8000/-.

You get also the heavy duty pintle hook which is used by the army jeeps.this heavy duty pintle hook costs about 1200-1300 and can be fitted onto the Bolero by cutting a piece off the rear door step OR removing the step altogether. then it is welded on using a bracket and for added security, bolted onto the rear lateral ladder bar of the chassis. this can even be fitted on to a gypsy or any other such vehicle by making some slight modifications to accommodate the nuts and bolts.

the towing capacity of these is very good - it can tow a regular trailer fully laden with farm produce. OR it can serve as a saviour to smaller vehicles stuck during floods and muddy times.

While on the estates we had these heavy duty pintle hooks fitted on to the jeeps as a matter of course and subsequently, I ve had the old heavy duty hook fitted onto my old Bolero and put it to good use during the floods of 2005.

Now the Scorpio "tail" pintle hook is fitted on my 2WD Scorp with the rear bumper changed. So far its proved to be a useful accessory to deter potential "tail sniffer indicas" etc. Heres a pic for you to see;

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Saw these trailer hooks on the vehicles in the US and was impressed that mahindra has added that on their scorpio.

Attached Thumbnails
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-jeepus.jpg  

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-bus-bum.jpg  

Old 15th October 2009, 07:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

SS-da, Congratulations !! When is the MHawking starts? What did you do to the Accent?

Abhi
Old 15th October 2009, 08:00   #24
BHPian

zappo,

I think the knobby peeping thing is for towing???

S.S: Please come out with the details.
Old 15th October 2009, 08:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

umm that is the tow hook right? its standard on all Mahindra 4x4 scorpios.
Old 15th October 2009, 08:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this is called a Pintle Hook.
This is just a ball hitch or trailer hitch. Pintle hook will have a locking/closing pin system. I have a pintle hook in my Jeep. Some pintle hooks have ball hitches on the lower arm.

Name:  pintle_hook.gif
Views: 9140
Size:  3.0 KB
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2009, 08:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Thanks hondadude. Pics and details coming up soon.

Yes, it was all of 10 weeks. Well, it began on 2nd August. Based on some information I received, I walked into the Koncept showroom at Safdarjang Enclave, and asked for the price and other details of the Scorpio mHawk VLX 4WD.
congrats on the first 4x4 mHawk buddy, i envy you! nice review but i hope there is lots more to come.
Old 15th October 2009, 08:53   #28
BANNED

Congrats on buying the first 4X4 M-Hawk on TBHP, probably among the first few in India as well. The Scorp looks cool with the tail....

Some interior pics and the delivery experience please, alongwith the salesman's face if possible he he heh......
Old 15th October 2009, 09:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

So, confirmed!

Congrats, once again, SS! Mighty kind of you to post from the phone the first few shots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
... i envy you! ...
Raj,
You certainly will have a lot of people for company on that boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on buying the first 4X4 M-Hawk on TBHP, probably among the first few in India as well. The Scorp looks cool with the tail...
Definitely a first on T-BHP. And definitely one of the first to be delivery across the nation.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:23   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

The BS-III/BS-IV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
SS-da, Congratulations !! When is the MHawking starts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
aha Doc. Well written. And well done!
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaver_prad View Post
@ Abhi, maddy, frank, prad: Thanks a lot for your congratulations. And finally I know what that little tail is called - a tow hitch or towball.

The mHawk engine has BS-III and BS-IV options for the 2WD Scorpios, but only BS-III option in 4WD guise. Now who doesn't want the latest technology under the bonnet? BS-IV equals less pollution. Maybe better mileage. And M&M wasn't offering BS-IV for my 4WD. So I went into petulant-child-who-wants-the-moon mode. I asked everyone I knew. I tried all resources. No one was remotely showing me any ray of hope. BS-IV 4WDs are for the US, they said. Being made, but not for India. But how can that be? An Indian company offering the good stuff to the Americans, but not to us? We definitely deserve better treatment than this...

Until one day, I started off the same rant with a close friend who works in Shell. Are you crazy? You want BS-IV? You'll just be spending money to buy trouble. WHAAAT?

What he had to say opened my eyes and left my mouth agape! BS-IV compliant diesel engines require the use of ultra-low sulphur diesel (ULSD), with a level of sulphur less than 15 ppm. Despite notifications that BS-IV standards would be implemented in Delhi-NCR and 10 cities by April 2010, there is apparently no way as of now that ULSD can be made available to the customer so soon. For one, the refineries do not produce ULSD. For another, the 15 ppm limit cannot be maintained because of the manner in which the fuel is pumped through the pipelines.

To separate diesel of different batches, a "plug" of kerosene is used inside the pipeline. Now this kerosene plug is supposed to be discarded once one batch of fuel reaches the distributor, but for obvious reasons it is not, and is allowed to mix into the diesel, contaminating it. Kerosene, being a high
sulphur fuel, contributes both towards increasing the sulphur content of
diesel as well as the profits of the distributors! And currently, there is no way the government /oil cos. / refineries can put an end to this practice.

The surplus sulphur plays havoc inside the engine, the sensors, even the BS-IV compliant engine oil that's supposed to be used. Result: Fouled engine, poorer performance, lower mileage than what a BS-III engine can manage.

Therefore, no BS-IV for me. Not any time soon!

EDIT: @raj, devdath: Thank you for the congratulations!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th October 2009 at 09:26.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks