Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 17:48   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
This is perfect now. Dont disturb it any more. Pleaseee!!
Sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Woow looks very effective, now this gets on to my "wishlist"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Likewise!

A good mod, Rahul!

Do post back your driving experience with these lights.
A word of caution though. Please plan some kind of auxillary lights with this mod as everyone knows what pain it is to drive with HID's in rainy season. Google up you will see lots of tangible information. For me i have Hella's to my rescue as they double up as driving lights as well.

Honestly, i am getting adjusted to the new lights still and haven't done long night driving to share my experience with that, but soon soon

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 15th September 2012 at 17:50.
Rahulk76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 12:58   #422
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rahul, will keep that in my mind, in this case it would be adouble expenditure for me as i would have to invest on the Hella aswel

however for now am happy with "philips extreme vision", this works very well in rain just tested it other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Sure

A word of caution though. Please plan some kind of auxillary lights with this mod as everyone knows what pain it is to drive with HID's in rainy season. Google up you will see lots of tangible information. For me i have Hella's to my rescue as they double up as driving lights as well.

Honestly, i am getting adjusted to the new lights still and haven't done long night driving to share my experience with that, but soon soon
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:01   #423
Senior - BHPian

In the mean time around 5 pm went on quick run to Taminhi Ghat, near Pune. The purpose was to check the HID's on the roads and yes i was amazed, the clarity etc were really good.

I guess, my eyes are getting adjusted to the HID's, may be a couple of late night drives will acclamatize my night vision

Lazing around..
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-p1030226.jpg
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-p1030230.jpg
Old 28th September 2012, 14:16   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, thats true... the headlamps are going to be reopened this week to align correctly the beams parallel to the ground level and i believe that it will solve the problem. I guess thats the only part left and yes they will be further lowered

Difference lighting.. you have to see it to belive it. I feel that stock lamps are like zero watt bulb in front of projectors seriously. I can drive with more confidence without blinding other motorists.
The best part is that, high beam to warn other morons who dont respect other fellow motorist.

Somehow i feel in rain 4300 hid disperse lite a lot during rains, so myself and S_U_N were contemplating 3000 hid based on practicalities and long run.

The HID kits are on AES http://www.aescar.com/

PS: My car is 3 in the series of retrofit upgrades so the costing part and reliability factor will be shared soon for sure http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2885696

Hope this helps

Dear Rahul,

Great Job! Does this involve any cutting of parts etc? I would like to get it done on my Safari. Seems no one in my small town ( Mahe/Kerala) is offering this kind of job. Do you think this could be done as a DIY? Any pictures showing the whole process could help.

Thanks
Bip
Old 28th September 2012, 23:19   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Dear Rahul,

Great Job! Does this involve any cutting of parts etc?
None No Cutting it was like.. Open --fix--align..seal and close 5 hrs job

Quote:
I would like to get it done on my Safari. Seems no one in my small town ( Mahe/Kerala) is offering this kind of job. Do you think this could be done as a DIY? Any pictures showing the whole process could help.

Well it can be a DIY provided you have all the patience and tools needs.
Bumper of safari is a little tricky to get down, not meaning its hard but I thought a little bit for myself doing it DIY, but then the fitter who charged approx 2k for whole process was expert doing the things i could have done in 3-4 hrs in 30 mins.. if you get a drift. so it was the fitter doing the job
No I dont have many pics except wat are posted because after he started his work i got bored and went for a stroll

I would suggest you follow some DIY on projectors on the forum. THe logic is same.
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 12:42   #426
BHPian

Quote:
None No Cutting it was like.. Open --fix--align..seal and close 5 hrs job
Thanks for your help Rahul, I had read another thread where some cutting was involved and thus skipped it. Now,this is in the to do list on next vacation! Will see if some local fitter can help me get through it.
BipB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 16:55   #427
Senior - BHPian

Closing to 60K KMS, nothing major to report. Apparently loss of coolant is happening perhaps a leaky water pump. No drops on the ground yet but still thinking pessimistically.

Anyways its almost 4 years now. I think I will get the timing belt examined and replaced if necessary.

After getting the brake cylinder issues resolved, the milege has increased in city to 12 KMPL.
Old 4th February 2013, 19:42   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Closing to 60K KMS, nothing major to report. Apparently loss of coolant is happening perhaps a leaky water pump. No drops on the ground yet but still thinking pessimistically.

Anyways its almost 4 years now. I think I will get the timing belt examined and replaced if necessary.

After getting the brake cylinder issues resolved, the milege has increased in city to 12 KMPL.
Rahul,

What was this brake cylinder issue you were facing?

-Ijeet
Old 4th February 2013, 19:51   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post

Rahul,

What was this brake cylinder issue you were facing?

-Ijeet
Here you go the entire details below

Quote:

Ok so after a week or so of testing the brakes, it was confirmed that

1. Rear Wheel Cylinders of TVS Girling make had developed sticky pistons (Covered under extended warranty)

2. The LSPV valve resetting was done again. They said that the gap had increased . I wonder how (Thanks Dadu for the Tip)
Suggest all owners to check the heating on the rear rhs wheel after a days run.

3. After putting new cylinders the RHS side (which had issue) was resetted. Some nuts and screws stuff.

After hard driving 70KM and braking more than required (Keeping all the safety in hand and mind ), the heat generated is uniform on both the rear wheel drum.

The brakepads and the liners are holding good for another 10-15k kms. (I am on second set of brake pads)

In the meantime also took care of the creaking front suspension, got them to overhaul it and put the full suspension bushkit. The OEM quality of bushes was indeed damn pathetic. It seemed like they were battle casualty. Worn and torn and cut

I guess now i can look forward to another peaceful 50-60k kms of niggle free suspension bushes unless the morons didnt pressfit the bushes properly.

Hopefully the issue wont repeat again. I will check milage again during the next fill. It should increase substantially now to 11-12 in city from present 9
Old 24th April 2013, 17:36   #430
Senior - BHPian

3.10 yrs / 58,000KMs & beyond

3.10 yrs / 58,000KMs & beyond-

Sometime last month I noticed that, the tires were eating up asymmetrically and had feather wears. Mechanics at A.S.S said, it cant be done it cant be properly aligned.. i have set the toe.. 300rs please.

The same story with outside alignment guys, only work around, no diagnosis of the root cause with saying that camber caster is out and A.S.S is only place you can get it corrected, but it never used to happen at A.S.S. Someone also said, gaadi accident, chassis bent, upper arm bushes gone, bent and other crap and not possible. I guess i must have paid almost 3000 bucks on the alignment shops.

But then enough was enough. I had to get to the bottom of it because why would tata make a vehicle which cant have proper alignment.. Something was wrong. Some one is making jackass out of us. Hey, i am in mid 30's not old to have a weak shoulder cmon..

Managed to find the correct factory specs of Safari alignment from manual which are below (PS: This holds true for Storme as well. Saw it in mannual)
-------------------
Camber 0° + 30´

Caster 3° ± 30´

Toe – in total 2 – 5 mm
----------------------
LH to RH variation of caster to be within 45'
LH to RH variation of camber to be within 30'

If caster is off, vehicle pulling is the symptom
If camber is off, then it eats your tires.
PS: The tire pressure and the vehicle height needs to be as prescribed while during alignment
----------------------
Anything out it is bad and has to be in specs for proper tracking of the safari.

Armed with information, went to A.S.S and insisted again I am paying for alignment, please get the specs in line to TML specs change the damn things whatever is bent and lets see.

Usual brouhaha but then slowly it took two-three hours to correct the specs in order. (Thanks to A.S.S Concorde to be patiently insisting the alignment guy at their workshop to get the specs correct)

A short test drive.. voila.. all in order. the safari goes straight like arrow.. no pulling, no longing, steers good. 200 km run, the tires when felt with hand feel smooth no nicks nothing on the tread.

So dear friends, please insist on getting alignment in order should they even deviate from the setting prescribed by Tata.

The guys want to work shortcut and make easy money without labor at our cost which makes me wonder that TML cars are kinda OK, its often the wrong diagnosis of alignment at A.S.S and elsewhere which screws up.

For reference i am posting the alignment details after correcting it on my vehicle. Note the correct camber/caster/toe readings. This requires correct shims placements and is a skilled labor intensive work

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-alignment.jpg

Perhaps i should have heeded to HVK advice and climbed on top of A.S.S to get the work done. Thanks to Nikhil @ blr too for helping out with much needed information.

Its almost 1 month now and few thousand kms and the alignment holds good.I have a happy shoulder now.

Next week the safari goes in for 60k service.. (Thanks for AMC i pay zilch). Why early because its part of preparation of upcoming trips.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 24th April 2013 at 17:38.
Rahulk76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 16:45   #431
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle was recently serviced for 60K
All the serviceable parts like oil, oil filter, coolant, brake oil, airfilter, fuel filter etc were replaced. Cleaning and Washing will be done later.

To take care of the leaky sump, this time instead of regular anabond rs. 45(Red color) , i asked them to put in the high quality sealant rs. 450(black color) used by fiat for sump sealing. It is assumed that this will be much better than the paltry anabond..

All in all I paid only for gear oil, differential oil, sump gasket and sealant.

For the 60,000 km service. I paid ZERO. Thanks to AMC.

Now the good news is that the root cause of the wheel jamming ultimately was diagnosed when again the darn rear wheel jammed again.

Earlier details at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2991781

Why it was jamming again and again, is due to the stuck brake booster. (one channel)

Thanks to timely servicing, the extended warranty for the brake booster was honored and the part was replaced. The non abs booster took its own sweet time to arrive at Concorde motors Pune and then fitting and then brake bleeding.

The funny thing is that the front left wheel is locking up first than the other 3 wheels. I wonder why, so here is the riddle to all you experts out there. Can you suggest what could be wrong ?
(the veh has new brake booster, castrol DOT4 fluid, brake properly bled etc) Not flushed.

One moron told that it was due to the tyres so lets change to BS. I told him dont BS me. Find the root cause.

I had also requested them to change the rubber brake hose pipes which go to the front wheel. But as it wasn't done. I was suspecting blockage in it.

I have the vehicle with me to do the testing etc and then go back after couple of weeks though.

The engine is purring, and as all of you safari owners know the linear pull in 3rd gear is as enjoyable as it can be as always.

EDIT: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3032726

I had noticed loss of coolant before and noted in the log above. Apparently there is a Spider T Joint hose which was loose. It had been ordered and is available. But on the vehicle it was found to be little loose and leaky. That is something also under observation which if found again to be leaky will be duly replaced.

You may wonder lots of replacements eh.. but then its required. Its major major service. Sundar, Sasta, Tikau..(Ahem)

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 9th May 2013 at 16:54.
Rahulk76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 15:27   #432
Senior - BHPian

Happy to report that all is going OK with vehicle so far. The brakes are much better due to booster replacement.
The milege (filled to brim) has jumped from measly 10 ish to 11.5/7 in city runs and on highways 14.5 /15 KMPL.

Over next few months i guess the following will be addressed
1. AC Cleaning 2. Rear Shockers and Spring check 3. Brake Pads and Liner Changes.

All in all expensive to maintain but see the terrain and conditions it saw through 4 years (Solace ).

I guess T-Fort would have been much more cheaper on service costs and other wise. (Barring FE)

EDIT: Is the future bright for TML ?
Well

Answer: moneycontrol.com/news/features/karl-slym-has-fix-for-ailing-tata-motors_871489.html & http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3100066

Will I hold on to the Black Elephant ? Well umm only July will be answer to it post next months 65xx km trip to the north.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 20th May 2013 at 15:31.
Old 20th May 2013, 16:43   #433
BHPian

Hi rahul,

You didn't pay for the fuel filter and oil filter during the 60k service?

Cheers!
Irish :-)
Old 20th May 2013, 16:56   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Hi rahul,

You didn't pay for the fuel filter and oil filter during the 60k service?

Cheers!
Irish :-)
For the 60,000 km service. I paid ZERO ( Rs. 0.00/- ). Thanks to AMC.
All the service consumables + labour is covered .
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:00   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So did you debug this coolant leakage yet?
What are the checks and preventive maintenance you are planning before Leh?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks