Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2009, 18:31   #31
BHPian

Congrates pho3n!x, the Getz CRDi is becoming very popular here in TeamBHP. Have you ever driven the petrol Getz 1.3L? If yes, how does engine noise compare as felt from inside cabin, all windows rolled up?
Old 21st June 2009, 19:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car, have fun!
Old 21st June 2009, 20:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I really didnt push the car all that much in stock, and neither am I pushing it now!! Will give a final on the handling when I do a highway run to Bangalore next weekend. But from whatever I have run in (in stock and now) in the roads here, and the IT Expressway, the ride has become stiffer- road feel is more audible in the cabin, and it does not feel "soft" like the stock tire. I dont feel any difference in the steering.

Yokos do not come in 195/55, and I did not want to go for 205/50 (the other choice in Michelin was 195/50... Yoko S.Drives are known to be noisy, but their purpose is to hug on to the road- and they do a good job of it. And with the windows rolled up and music playing...

Here is a link to the meet thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...et-thread.html
PM petrol_head your number, and he will make sure you are in.

btw, I think its ShyamsCRDi who posted that you got a leather steering cover for his car... Where was that made? I'd love to have one in dark / black leather...
Sorry if I missed a point somewhere. You said you got 195/55 yokos. You ve mentioned in this post that yokos dont have 195/55? Cabin noise aint good. I guess yokos are supposed to have a reputation for being noisy as compared to the michelins right?
I got my interiors done at choice seat zone on peters road, next to new college complex. His name is Mahesh and he'll know me if you tell him Prasana mentioned the shop. He has the ready made steering covers of very good quality, thats the one shyam took. I wanted a dual tone, so he stitched it for me separately. He does a good job for a reasonable price.
Any suggestions for 2 din ICE here in chennai man? Some place where i'll get a good exchange price for the current system?
Old 21st June 2009, 21:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Its lugging when your dash starts rattling.
100-120kph is no big deal for this car. In 5th gear it does 100 @ 2000rpm and 120 @ 2500rpm.
O yeah, it reaches the ton before a blink, and you wont even know on a highway unless you look at the needle! But tell me, in city traffic is it good to drive in say 1st or 2nd if the higher gears will fall below the 2-2.5k mark? Also am thinking about K&N rightaway (after 1st service), is that a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbind85 View Post
congrats pho3n!x. nice colour choice. i wanted to make use of the offer and buy one for me, but dad's finances did not allow me to do so. if u like the debadged look at the back do it, it will add to the looks.
Thanks mate!! I am going with the "stock" look. Things inside the hood is what will be undergoing changes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Congrates pho3n!x, the Getz CRDi is becoming very popular here in TeamBHP. Have you ever driven the petrol Getz 1.3L? If yes, how does engine noise compare as felt from inside cabin, all windows rolled up?
Thanks Guite! I haven't driven a 1.3, but have traveled in one. The Diesel clatter is audible, albeit not as much as a few other brands. The car definitely is pretty solidly padded to keep off external noise, and a music system will ensure you wont know you have an oil mill running in the front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Congratulations on the new car, have fun!
Thanks sirji!! Was waiting for you advice on the wheels, but didn't want to lose on the exchange value (Odo was close to 200!!), so went with the Yokos and the alloys- hope you approve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Sorry if I missed a point somewhere. You said you got 195/55 yokos. You ve mentioned in this post that yokos dont have 195/55? Cabin noise aint good. I guess yokos are supposed to have a reputation for being noisy as compared to the michelins right?
I got my interiors done at choice seat zone on peters road, next to new college complex. His name is Mahesh and he'll know me if you tell him Prasana mentioned the shop. He has the ready made steering covers of very good quality, thats the one shyam took. I wanted a dual tone, so he stitched it for me separately. He does a good job for a reasonable price.
Any suggestions for 2 din ICE here in chennai man? Some place where i'll get a good exchange price for the current system?
O my, my bad!! I meant to say Michelins do not have 195/55, and Yokos do- and thats why I have the S.Drive on !! I am told that the A.Drive does not have a noise issue, only the S, but A.Drives are not performance tires, more on comfort and economy.

Let me get to GP Road sometime, I am right now looking for the steering covers in leather. Not decided on the seats yet- does he do part-leathers?

I am not sure about ICE- check it up with nitrous, probably during a weekend meet (guess you would have PM'ed you # to petrol_head...)
Old 21st June 2009, 22:15   #35
BHPian

Part leather? I'm not too sure what you mean by that! If you meant art leather then yeah thats what I have got. The steering covers he has are leather. You can probably check them out and see if you like them. Yup I will pm my number to him.
Old 22nd June 2009, 00:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Part leather? I'm not too sure what you mean by that! If you meant art leather then yeah thats what I have got. The steering covers he has are leather. You can probably check them out and see if you like them. Yup I will pm my number to him.
Umm.. what i meant was that the body-touching parts will be leather- the middle part of the back rest and bottom, and rest will be art. Let me check him out, maybe next weekend or so.
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:51   #37
BHPian

@Ph03n!x- Dude congrats on your new purchase & please post some more pics of the car.
Old 22nd June 2009, 08:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Umm.. what i meant was that the body-touching parts will be leather- the middle part of the back rest and bottom, and rest will be art. Let me check him out, maybe next weekend or so.
Oh right! I'm not too sure about that buddy. You can check it out. Let me know if your there. I will try to come if I'm at home. I just stay a few minutes away.
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
O yeah, it reaches the ton before a blink, and you wont even know on a highway unless you look at the needle! But tell me, in city traffic is it good to drive in say 1st or 2nd if the higher gears will fall below the 2-2.5k mark?
i think 1500-2250 range would be good for 3rd to 5th gear during break-in.
for 1st 900 (or whatever is the idle revs) to 1500, for second 1200 to 1750.

BTW.... how much exchange price did you get for the stock goodyear tube-type
tyres?
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
i think 1500-2250 range would be good for 3rd to 5th gear during break-in.
for 1st 900 (or whatever is the idle revs) to 1500, for second 1200 to 1750.

BTW.... how much exchange price did you get for the stock goodyear tube-type
tyres?
Thanks for the rev range buddy! The stock was a tubeless, and considering a new goodyear is being sold at about 30%-40% discount, I got about 1300 per tyre (new ones being 1800-1900). Rims went for 500...

@pras.oct25- will do, but that will take a week or two, am travelling this evening on (not on the baby, though :( ), and then again on Saturday- this time on it!!

@caroholic1- please hang on, am out till Sunday, will post some good shoots by Sunday night for sure!
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The stock was a tubeless .....
well i have read almost all of the getz crdi ownership reviews, and all of them have mentioned that stock tyres are tube-type on 5j rims.

so now hyundai have changed these to tube-less?
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
O yeah, it reaches the ton before a blink, and you wont even know on a highway unless you look at the needle! But tell me, in city traffic is it good to drive in say 1st or 2nd if the higher gears will fall below the 2-2.5k mark? Also am thinking about K&N rightaway (after 1st service), is that a good idea?
Phoenix
There's no issue driving in 2nd gear. If u leave the clutch without pressing the accelerator in 2nd @ 0kph it will still start crawling and gain speed till the rpm reaches 1k rpm. Changing the filter after the 1st service also won't be an issue.

It must have come with tube type 175/65-14 Goodyear GPS2 tires. I got a buy back value of Rs 1700~1800 per tire.
Old 29th June 2009, 01:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

More photos, and a long drive!

Atlast- got some photos, and a long drive experience to post

Here is a photo taken by my friend at the time of delivery
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-dscn2007.jpg

With about 290 KM on the clock, I started off to Bangalore on 27th morning for a marriage reception party- eager to see how she behaves on the highway, a tad apprehensive because I was told she does not handle curves all that well.

With my experience of driving her in city, I was accustomed to an extent to her sounds, gear shift/ power delivery pattern, steering sensitivity and braking. While on the highway, I put her through the paces- 100 was a no-sweat deal, she was there in about 2200 RPM in 5th. I cautiously let her through the curves of NH45, and she behaved exactly as I had expected. 120 came at about 2500 RPM, and she was still behaving properly and predictably- no under/over steers, minimal body roll, and the beefy Yokohamas hugging the roads. I had 3000 RPM as my limit, and she did 130+ within that. The steering was not as good as, say a Palio's, but was nothing to complain about at 130's on the clock. I pushed her once on a straight stretch till 160 for a few seconds, and a slight shudder crept up on the steering, and I felt that it had loosened considerably- compared to how it felt at 120 or 130.

The turbo lag was hardly visible. The car has enough horses to move it from stand still, and once the turbo hits, it races. I feel the power surge and can see the road race by, as well as the speedo climbing- but don't quite feel pushed-to-the-seats. Maybe because I am driving, and expect / know when it is going to hit...

I did do a few braking tests to see how well she stops- she did slow down as expected, proportional to my pressure on the brake pedal. And during those few times when I really had to brake from 120s to a 30+ or to a halt, the brake behaved adequately well- that cyclist / pedestrian who made me skip a beat by jumping medians and running across the highway, and the traffic cop who assumes a speeding car will stop at his will if he walks to the middle of the road with a STOP sign- all escaped unhurt!! I never jam the brakes, and after putting ample pressure as necessary/ required to slow down the car, I usually cut down to 3rd gear. IMHO, my car has adequate stopping power, helped by the wider tires.

The best part- overtaking. There are no words to explain the experience. I was absolutely confident each and every time- there were some tight-cuts-between-trucks that I wouldn't have dared with another hatch. The seemingly unlimited power available at the tap of the right foot, even in the 5th gear, is something every hatch driver must experience in a Getz CRDi. Corollas, Octavias, Lauras, Innovas, Vernas, Citys, not-deserve-to-be-named hatches from all car makers- all of them saw the Team BHP sticker on my rear glass, when I overtook them- that too when they were at 120+ speeds. No offence to anyone who swear by the names I have given, it could also be the man behind the wheels of either of the cars!!

Driving in Bangalore city is a pain- even on a Saturday / Sunday. But I never once felt uncomfortable in bumper-to-bumper traffic. All I need is to understand when will she start pulling herself in 2nd, and use my left leg- least she backends some poor soul in the front!

The way back was part-night, and the stock headlights were pathetic! I at times wondered if they were even on. While the 65W bulbs that come with it are the legal limit, I think I would need 100/90 for night runs- no way I am taking her for a night ride with the stock bulbs!

I drive with the seat pushed all the way back, and backrest adjusted to hold the steering with a straight right arm. After this long drive, I am getting a pain in my wrist- will be experimenting with the steering rake adjustment to see if I can figure it out, or if I have to get used to the position.

I had filled a full tank (37.48 litres) at about 150 KM on the odo (at Ekayaars, VN Road, T.Nagar), and did a refill for 37.49 litres at Krishnagiri- it was an auto-stop refill both times. Although the first refill was after the low fuel indicator had come on, the second time it was not on yet (wonder if the pump under-filled me...!). The approx mileage I calculated was 13 KMPL- that was 50% for city and highway, with A/c on all the time. And I keep her in the 1500 to 2500 RPM range, hence was doing a lot of driving in the 2/3rd gears. I am going to do a check by filling at the same pump, after the first service.

Here are some clicks on the way, after filling her up in Krishnagiri:
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-dscn2091.jpg
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-dscn2097.jpg

She has already clocked 1125+ on the Odo, and first service should be due this week. I am planning to:
1) Drain and change the engine oil- refill with company specified oil
2) Check the "burrrr" kinda sound that comes at about 1500-1600 RPM in most gears
3) Had some vibrations/ rattle-kinda noise from the fake-wooden center console and the rear-left. Though I didn't hear it in the last couple of days, will get it checked anyways.
4) Check the "clank" sound from the driver side window when the glass is being rolled up, and reaches the top.
5) Remote locking

These are after-service to-do items:
6) Sun-films - though I wanted to leave her unshaded, the sun demands some cover. Planning to go for 20% or 30% black on all windows and back.
7) 100/90 headlamps

Rocket Gurus- please let me know your suggestions on the list. Also, is there a wider mud-flap available? Got a feel that the puny stock flaps are not good enough with the wider tires.
Old 29th June 2009, 01:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
well i have read almost all of the getz crdi ownership reviews, and all of them have mentioned that stock tyres are tube-type on 5j rims.

so now hyundai have changed these to tube-less?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
...It must have come with tube type 175/65-14 Goodyear GPS2 tires. I got a buy back value of Rs 1700~1800 per tire.
Am confused now- I remember being told it was tubeless when we were discussing the exchange, let me recheck when i go there sometime next week...
Old 29th June 2009, 01:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

She has already clocked 1125+ on the Odo, and first service should be due this week. I am planning to:
1) Drain and change the engine oil- refill with company specified oil
2) Check the "burrrr" kinda sound that comes at about 1500-1600 RPM in most gears
3) Had some vibrations/ rattle-kinda noise from the fake-wooden center console and the rear-left. Though I didn't hear it in the last couple of days, will get it checked anyways.
4) Check the "clank" sound from the driver side window when the glass is being rolled up, and reaches the top.
5) Remote locking

6. Rocket Gurus- please let me know your suggestions on the list. Also, is there a wider mud-flap available? Got a feel that the puny stock flaps are not good enough with the wider tires.
1. Oil change at 1000kms ? Why? Just Ask them to reset the ECU once.

2 & 3 . Aren't both problems inter-related ? The burr kinda sound is the diesel engine vibration being transmitted onto the dash when it gets bogged down at <1700 rpm.

6. Sparco has some big mud flaps but that may spoil the look of the car.

OT :I guess i saw your car in Bangalore. Which part of Bangalore did u come to ?

Last edited by kpzen : 29th June 2009 at 01:31.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks