Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2011, 16:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Horses for Courses - A 100 bhp Figo?

- IMHO that bringing in the 1.6 as just another mass production car wouldn't be very successful. It would end up like the palio 1.6s and the octavia vRS and probably where the t-jet is headed. Very popular with people who understand their worth but low real world sales.

- The ford figo, for most people is a VFM hatch. It's neither a performance hatch nor is it a premium hatch. Compare this with something like a VW polo 1.6. It looks fast, has a premium badge and costs as much. I feel this is essential to have such a variant succeed.

- Lets look at the target groups for the 1.6.
1. Enthusiasts. From this point of view, nothing special is needed other than the car itself unless there's direct competition to it's cheap performance hatch tag. And there currently isn't any in that price range. The closest is the swift, which would a good 16bhp away. There's the vista safire90 but i don't think any of us is going cornering in that. (no offence to vista owners but i own one myself, and it's a fact). Not to mention i'd pick the figo's hydraulic assisted power steering over the swift's electric motor assisted power steering on any day.
All this sounds good but true enthusiasts as hard to come by. And they while we can educate, we can't drive sales all by ourselves. So, we do have to target other groups simultaneously.

2. Younger buyers. The trick to this group is the coolness factor. Coolness is the looks. Coolness is the brand value. Coolness is public perception. Coolness is everything. For example, if the punto was produced by maruti and the swift by fiat, the sales figures would be that very different. How fast a car is doesn't depend on the number of horses under the good but rather how fast everyone thinks it is and how it looks. To give an example, this is the group which would take their swifts up against a getz crdi in a drag and not know what they are dealing with. Practicality is important (friends or new families) but can be easily overruled if the car is not cool. Case in point, the vista tdi. For example, I had to face a lot of jeering and criticism from my friends for that choice. "Why are you buying an indica? Don't you know it's a taxi car?" "Because it's the only diesel that'll fit in my budget" "Why don't you buy a swift petrol instead? Same price.". Well, multiple road trips later, nobody complains any more, but lets get back on topic.
So, lets apply all that to the proposed figo 1.6, we realize that sells not just because it's practical and affordable but because it's ford which is a decent brand. I'll bet that the vast majority doesn't even think of the excellent handling characteristics it's got. It wouldn't be an easy task to convince people that it's cool not just a good brand and a practical hatch but handles awesomely too. Adding to existing coolness is easy but creating coolness in a new area is hard. It'd be so very easy to sell a 100bhp swift or polo as it's considered to be fast as is. So, selling it just as a variant won't work. You'll need to separate it from the existing figo somehow. Preferential treatment (a la tjet), extensive marketing specifically for this variant as a "performance" or "hot" hatch. Or maybe as the "true enthusiast's car" (hmmm..fiat really should do this). Some body work, perhaps, to separate it from the regular figo (a la alto and alto k10) and to make it look more aggressive, and hence look like a fast car. All that is a huge investment for ford, but hey, changing public opinion is never easy but has awesome results.
3. Highway travellers. All that power just invites gear number 6. And adding tall overdrive gear lets you advertise it not just as a hot hatch but also as that perfect small car for weekend road trips. It's a double win as you'd be attracting those "tripping" young buyers.

- Maybe in the future, we can have a figo cup :-D i'd love that.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:40   #47
BHPian

ACI seems to think that the Figo 1.6 is definitely on the way, but they dont have exact timelines. Heard Hormazd Sorabjee say this on last weeks show.
Hope FORD goes all the way with this one and offer customized for FIGO, factory fitted body kits, alloys, stiffer suspension and special detailing just like the Fiesta 1.6S or better still like the Fiesta Hatch in the UK

VW and Skoda would be running to the high hills then with their tails between their legs
Old 27th March 2011, 09:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Ford India also has the option of launching Figo 1.4 . The Fiesta was launched with a 1.4 litre petrol engine along with the 1.6 litre petrol. This variant was later discontinued.

In South Africa the Figo is offered with this engine. It will offer decent performance without effecting the fuel economy too much. Moreover it will also not invite the additional Rs 15,000 tax applicable on cars with engine capacity in excess of 1500 cc.
Old 27th March 2011, 11:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

^^ The 1.6 Figo for South Africa is produced in India and exported. So the vehicle is ready, its just a matter of launching it in the Indian market.

Motoroids seems to think its coming as well. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Ford India may launch the Figo 1.6 petrol soon!
Old 27th March 2011, 12:43   #50
Team-BHP Support

IMO, this would make for an ideal hot hatch.

1. It would be decently priced unlike the German, Czech and Italian competition.
2. The 1.6 is proven in the fiesta already, and returns decent FE for a 1.6L engine.
3. Good driving dynamics.
4. Decent interior space.

IMO, they need to brighten up the exteriors a bit, for a sporty feel. And most important stuff- ADD REAR POWER WINDOWS. I know, i will be one prospective customer!

Was dreaming of a Figo 1.6S (pic is not a scoop, and is photoshopped by me), since i first saw pictures of Figo from Ford's first official photo release.
Attached Thumbnails
Horses for Courses - A 100 bhp Figo?-4312610175_330076588e_blue.jpg  

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th March 2011 at 12:45.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Refer latest, i.e. the APRIL 2011 issue of AUTOCAR India. Page 27:

Quote:
"The FIGO could soon be transformed into a hot hatch with the introduction of the Fiesta's 1.6 Litre 100bhp petrol motor under its hood. Ford India is keen to further build on the huge success of the FIGO by making it a more exciting car to drive"

Seems us T-Bhp'ians are forecasting things quite well !
Old 28th March 2011, 12:56   #52
BHPian

If Ford does introduce a 1.6L 100bhp Figo, then where does that leave the Fiesta hatchback? How would Ford differentiate the two?

I would prefer the 1.6L 120bhp Fiesta hatch, but I really don't think there is space in the Indian market for both of them.
Old 29th March 2011, 09:51   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
If Ford does introduce a 1.6L 100bhp Figo, then where does that leave the Fiesta hatchback? How would Ford differentiate the two?
Fiesta hatchback is not AT ALL in the same category as Figo. Its a much larger and modern car, and should easily start at a price tag of 6.5L+ for the basic model.

Assuming 1 lakh price difference for a 1.6L Figo over the current 1.2L titanium, it should still leave a gap of over Rs. 1 lakh between the top end Figo 1.6, and starting range of Fiesta hatchback.

Figo 1.6 will face tough competition from the Fiesta classic though. Same 1.6, fun-to-drive, VFM with the new (hopefully much lower) price tag, better looks and the status of a sedan as well.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:09   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Fiesta hatchback is not AT ALL in the same category as Figo. Its a much larger and modern car, and should easily start at a price tag of 6.5L+ for the basic model.

Assuming 1 lakh price difference for a 1.6L Figo over the current 1.2L titanium, it should still leave a gap of over Rs. 1 lakh between the top end Figo 1.6, and starting range of Fiesta hatchback.
And to add on, it is the Fiesta Sedan which is coming to India first, and not the hatch. By the time they bring the hatch (maybe in 2012), Figo 1.6 would have garnered enough fans
Old 1st April 2011, 13:22   #55
BANNED

There is a press conference at Ford India on APril the 7th, Maybe the 100 BHP Figo 1.6 will be announced there.
Old 1st April 2011, 13:36   #56
BHPian

Figo 1.6 is what I am eagerly waiting for as the 1.2L still doesnot exploit the chassis completely. But as some one said, this may not be for the mass market where fuel economy is one of the key factors in buying a hatchback car.
Old 1st April 2011, 16:13   #57
Senior - BHPian

IMHO Figo should come in more colors. The current colors look boring already. Also the colors will help distinguish the 1.6 from the 1.2.

Also, I wish the 1.6 were a diesel instead of a petrol. Now that would grab my attention
Old 6th April 2011, 04:13   #58
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Ford has a big launch scheduled for 14th April!

I hope its the Figo 1.6 since I believe its still too early for the Fiesta to launch in India.
Old 14th April 2011, 21:34   #59
RGK
Senior - BHPian

This is the SMS got from Ford Ind today

Live Unveiling of All-New Fiesta on Facebook today at 12 noon. logon to fb.com/fordfiesta and click "fiesta for India". I doubt whether this is the launch of Figo 1.6
Old 14th April 2011, 23:04   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a scoop pic which was taken long time back. What I noticed was that the tail light was slightly different. I had posted this in t-bhp and there was some discussions around it and later died since one one had any solid data on this. re-posting it since the 100 bhp Figo discussion is LIVE now. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sta-hatch.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks