Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 09:18   #721
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
He fined me Rs. 600 for an expired emission certificate and let me go.
As per norms, if you are caught without an emission certificate, they should give you a notice asking you to submit the renewed PUC within 7 days and only after this, are they supposed to fine you.

I had a similar experience because, once the cops caught me with an expired PUC certificate and guess what ? they challaned me with a notice which stated "failed to produce PUC within 7 days". This was for an offence for which they caught me for the first time, still, to pocket 100 rs, they issued the challan as if I didn't produce the PUC after getting a notice.

Ideally, I could have questioned as to why this challan, but then didn't want to drag on for 100 rs.
Old 6th February 2012, 15:47   #722
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
well to me it makes no sense. as the previous posts say, all you need is to prove you are not in KA for more than 11 months. Somebody who is driving a KL or TN or PY registered car can very well send his/her car to those states once every 6 months to get PUC and refuelling! And thats it! You have a proof that car is just visiting in KA (might as well get an address proof document also in those states, how hard would that be?) No need to pay the stupid high taxes here.

If only govt here realises this, rationalises the taxes (bring it to same levels as others) and offset the difference by increasing fuel costs! It will be a win-win for them! People will then go for KA reg (so no revenue loss there) and increased fuel costs would mean even more revenues and more money in neta's fat swiss bank accounts. already fuel prices here are highest in the country and still people dont crib (some people in the posts above even say if its a tax you otta pay up! thats their defence against this sort of illegal double taxation drives KA govt is undergoing). there is no sense of country anymore. everywhere just my region/language/state/religion whatever
I agree to you on few points. I also strongly am for a unified tax structure. I see no reason why I should pay more to drive in Bangalore and less in Cochin or Chennai or Delhi for that matter.

But at the same time, its a law that one has to follow. Its your choice to find the loop holes and cover up. But end of day, what you are doing is illegal.

IMHO
Old 6th February 2012, 16:09   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I also strongly am for a unified tax structure. I see no reason why I should pay more to drive in Bangalore and less in Cochin...
IMHO
Well the constitution of our country provides a ferderal-state and central union structure. Essential states are federally governed (locally mismanaged) and centre chips in with funds (rarely), which states request.

So a federal things leads to different taxes and unheard of taxes like Karnataka's entry tax for certain commodities.

But if we were to say that leave all things aside and keep a uniform tax for roads across India, it still would not happen due to the federal screw up
Old 7th February 2012, 07:54   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
well to me it makes no sense. as the previous posts say, all you need is to prove you are not in KA for more than 11 months. Somebody who is driving a KL or TN or PY registered car can very well send his/her car to those states once every 6 months to get PUC and refuelling! And thats it! You have a proof that car is just visiting in KA (might as well get an address proof document also in those states, how hard would that be?) No need to pay the stupid high taxes here.
I am not talking in favour of the high taxes or the Kar Govt. I just asked people to play safe since the amount of money involved is huge and I personally feel its not a risk worth it GIVEN the current situation. And i have two reasons to it :-
1) Driving a non-KA car in Blore is definitely going to be a headache. All the time you need to watch for the RTO's. Even if you pay the tax in fact you are sure to be stopped and checked! regular headache it becomes!!!

2) You can give ample proofs to substantiate that you are a 'visitor', be it service receipts, fuel receipts or toll bills. Every non-KA driver in Blore does all this circus here. But dear joslicx, the technology is too advanced here. Once caught they log the number and if caught multiple times (Which happened with my friend), THERE IS NO ESCAPE. No fuel bills or receipts are going to help you. They will SEIZE YOUR CAR. And the most important factor which turns up here is your employment details. If you are working Bangalore, YOU ARE DONE !!!

Note: My points are not against the current owners. Just my few cents to people who are planning to buy car soon.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 7th February 2012 at 07:59.
Old 7th February 2012, 08:06   #725
Senior - BHPian

How does this work for a used car? A colleague is considering paying up. It is a 2006 MH registered Ford Fusion that was bought from Mahindra First Choice. Is the tax percentage calculcated on the invoiced amount from Mahindra or the original cost of the car? What is a registration card? I have been reading this in several posts but never heard of any thing like this.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th February 2012 at 08:07. Reason: rephrased
Old 7th February 2012, 09:24   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
How does this work for a used car? A colleague is considering paying up. It is a 2006 MH registered Ford Fusion that was bought from Mahindra First Choice. Is the tax percentage calculcated on the invoiced amount from Mahindra or the original cost of the car? What is a registration card? I have been reading this in several posts but never heard of any thing like this.
Even for used car, road tax is calculated from the original cost of the car only. Registration card is nothing but the RTO card that you will receive after the ownership is transferred to the current owners name, it will consist of the vehicle details and owner details.
Old 7th February 2012, 09:48   #727
Senior - BHPian

Road tax would be calculated on the depreciated value of the car, not the original invoice figure.

There is a document available on the Karnataka RTO website which gives the details.

Rohan
Old 7th February 2012, 11:44   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

True, but depreciated value can be calculated only from the original invoice figure. If you are not having the invoice figure then RTO will put their own figure(this might be more than the original invoice) based on the type of vehicle and they will calculate the road tax.

Edit: Road Tax will be certian percentage(depreciated value) of the total invoice amount.

Last edited by arun_josie : 7th February 2012 at 11:50.
Old 11th February 2012, 07:38   #729
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a report on TOI-Bangalore.

Quote:
The department collected a whopping Rs 1.4-crore tax and penalty from 2,106 vehicles, including cars and two-wheelers, booked under various cases of violation. The drive to target vehicles registered in neighbouring states and plying on city roads without paying tax......
2105 non-state vehicles caught for evading tax - The Times of India
Old 11th February 2012, 09:04   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
There is a document available on the Karnataka RTO website which gives the details.
Here is the link:
http://rto.kar.nic.in/KMVTA%202010.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
True, but depreciated value can be calculated only from the original invoice figure. If you are not having the invoice figure then RTO will put their own figure(this might be more than the original invoice) based on the type of vehicle and they will calculate the road tax.

Edit: Road Tax will be certian percentage(depreciated value) of the total invoice amount.
First, the tax is computed from the original invoice. Then, depending on the age of the vehicle, the tax value is brought down.

e.g. Suppose a Jan 2002 hatchback car was invoiced at 4.25L. Based on the schedule, the life time tax for the car is 55,250/-. (13% of invoice). The tax liable as on today would be 24,862/- (45 % of lifetime tax for 10 year old car)

Here is the section (Part A.5) from the above file document:
Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached-ka_tax_schedule_2010_cars.gif
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 11:17   #731
BHPian

Again the headache started !!! Whenever there is some fund issue with treasury, these guys will wake up and will come on road to catch "aam aadmi" (simple people). We are buying cars with loan and all. Every year whenever the company transfer us, we need to go through this head ache of transferring car to the new place. Tax refund is another head ache, how much money we need to give to officials to get this work done? Agents again, another set of people who is happy with these kind of rules.

Why government is not making this road tax an yearly deal, like insurance? So that we can pay the tax to the government wherever we are.

Any team-bhpian got experience in getting caught in the last fridays RAID in Bangalore?
Old 11th February 2012, 12:25   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Any team-bhpian got experience in getting caught in the last fridays RAID in Bangalore?
I was caught on 4th Feb at Mekri circle by RTO. I convinced him that I was on a short trip and he asked me to prove. The toll receipts helped me here.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:26   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I was caught on 4th Feb at Mekri circle by RTO. I convinced him that I was on a short trip and he asked me to prove. The toll receipts helped me here.
Hi, by the way any-chance he noted down your registration number or something? Just to clear myself that, if they did note of that, then next time we cant say the same excuse.

I have the pollution certificate issued from kerala which is valid till april 2012. The car went to kerala and came back after a month, will this help?
Old 12th February 2012, 15:26   #734
BHPian

I have seen lot of folks working in IT companies displaying 'ARMY' in bright red on the top portion of windshield. And at the bottom half of the windshield you have the IT company sticker.

Surprised to quite a few non KA vehicles (esp 2 wheelers) having registration plates in Kannada.

A comprehensive /countrywide licensing policy would certainly help matters. For army/central govt /transferable employees, why can't the central govt have a separate registration series without having any mention of state, and charge a small premium for such registrations.
Old 12th February 2012, 17:43   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq
For army/central govt /transferable employees, why can't the central govt have a separate registration series without having any mention of state, and charge a small premium for such registrations.
Till last year the Central Government employees had an option of paying Road Tax yearly. The amount was too little and to be renewed every year. From this year they have stopped this and whoever came for renewal was asked to pay Lifetime road tax.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks