Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2022, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022

If the latest rumours are to be believed, we could witness a major reshuffle in the Volkswagen line-up in the weeks to come. We all know that the Vento is being replaced with a new mid-size sedan, but another model that could face the axe is the Polo.

Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022-polo-vento-matt-edition.jpg

It is said that production of the Polo and Vento could end in Q2 of 2022. Vento sales are planned till May, while the bookings for the Polo will be stopped in June this year.

While it may be the end of the road for the Polo in India for now, a replacement based on the MQB-A0-IN platform seems plausible. Reports suggest that VW could bring the seventh-gen Polo to India, albeit with major modifications to meet the sub-4 metre tax laws.

Meanwhile, the upcoming Virtus will represent the brand in the mid-size sedan segment. It is based on the MQB-A0-IN platform, which is shared with the Taigun.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 21st February 2022 at 12:33.
TusharK is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 12:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022

I hope that the new Polo breaks ground in India. The one on sale still is one of the nicest cars to drive and is a world beater at that price point.
sameer_vwagner is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 12:57   #3
BHPian

Interesting scoop, thanks for sharing!

By now we know the exact fate of the Vento and even its replacement. I really do hope that VW India doesn't do what did they with the Slavia for the Virtus (you can call me a hopeless romantic)!

I also hope that the legendary Polo brand continues to live on in it's true form even if it is altered to meet the sub 4 metre category, it would be an utter pain to see a cost-cut local made hatchback with the Polo badging slapped on it. I would happily take a feature or two less in the forthcoming cars but wouldn't like to compromise on the tank-like quality that VAG India had demonstrated over the years.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 13:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
--
I also hope that the legendary Polo brand continues to live on in it's true form even if it is altered to meet the sub 4 metre category, it would be an utter pain to see a cost-cut local made hatchback with the Polo badging slapped on it--
A cost reduced Polo is under test for brazil and emerging markets due in 2023. Most likely it will land up here like the Virtus.

Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022-flagrapolovirtus21200x717.jpg

Link (2021 Volkswagen Polo teased; global unveil on April 22)
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 13:41   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From what I hear, there are absolutely no plans to introduce another Polo in India. That sucks. This is still the best driver's hatchback in the market today, especially with that tasty 1.0L turbo-petrol under the hood, solid build, good safety, nice suspension.

It was to hatchbacks what the 1st-gen City Vtec was to sedans. Great looking, fast out of the box, very modification-friendly and affordable. Some other engines were awesome too = that lovely 1.2 TSI as well as the torque-laden 1.6L TDI which made for a legendary car.

Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022-ajp_2763__2_.jpg

The Polo retains the award for being sold with the maximum number of engine + gearbox combinations in India - related thread.
GTO is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 14:27   #6

Another thing is that, most of these hatchbacks are getting bigger and bigger, theyve moved to a different segment all together. I wonder if VW would get one of their smaller hatchbacks, like the VW Up, which in my opinion, is unlikely.

The polo will definitely be missed.
The Virtus has been on sale in other markets for quite a while if i remember correctly.
skb1811 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 15:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
---
It is said that production of the Polo and Vento could end in Q2 of 2022. Vento sales are planned till May, while the bookings for the Polo will be stopped in June this year.
---
The VW India site has already trimmed down the number of variants for the Vento and the Polo, and per reports from Sales Advisors, only the 2021 inventory seems to be on sale for any new buys.

A great saga comes to a close.

Being a Vento owner for 6.5+ years now, I (and my family) have a great deal of happy memories. The Vento has kept excellent company all this while and ably completed a good deal of miles traversing multiple states.
And all this without breaking a sweat, or breaking my bank balance.
JoshMachine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 19:45   #8
BHPian

Go on VW, give us a farewell edition special with some decals and badges that we LOVE!
lemedico is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 19:49   #9
BHPian

A vento owner myself for 6 years now and what a car it has been since it came to the market, and I hope VAG comes out with all new polo and virtus with same if not better build quality which should keep us car enthusiasts happy for many more years to come.

Will miss these two a lot.
petrolhead777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 19:51   #10
BHPian

Polo is definitely a car that shall get the “Legendary” status in the 21st century Indian car scene. As I can recall a wise man once said-
“The Indica, being discontinued, does not have a successor planned from Tata. But by the looks of build quality, Volkswagen surely does!”
QuentinTino is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 20:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

What will replace the Volkswagen Polo in India? ( ACI report)

Quote:
VW India brand director Ashish Gupta has hinted that they are ‘evaluating’ it.
Two products that could come to India from VW, after the stabilizing of the launches ( Taigun and Virtus) will be:

1. Polo
2. Polo Track Link (New Polo Track, Compact SUV and more for Brazil : 2023)

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 22:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
What will replace the Volkswagen Polo in India?
Volkswagen India will likely launch the next generation Polo currently sold in Europe by Q1/2023.
Name:  new2021vwpolofrontblue.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  61.1 KB

The India-spec Polo will be based on the same MQB A0 IN platform like the new VW Taigun & Virtus sedan. The Euro-spec Polo is 4053mm Long which is likely to be shortened to under 4 meter for tax benefits. It will continued to be powered by the 1.0 TSI engine. VW India could launch the new Polo GT with 1.5 TSI engine & DSG Automatic by Sept, 2023 to rival i20 N line.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2022 at 07:41. Reason: Strictly no business promotion please!
madhukar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 23:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_vwagner View Post
I hope that the new Polo breaks ground in India. The one on sale still is one of the nicest cars to drive and is a world beater at that price point.
I got mine in December. I think I was lucky. Let's hope the owneship experience will be pleasant.
Old 21st February 2022, 23:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

VW should retire Vento with a bang, how about signing off with "Vento-The Last Edition" to end the production of one of the cars which probably got the maximum number of editions in India.

Where in I completely love my Vento, and the 1.2 TSI and DSG gearbox is just amazing, even I feel it has been too long now, and it is about time for VW to put the old dog to rest!! Even I am looking for a new car, and double minded if I should sell the Vento or not, it has been an absolute pleasure to drive it.

Last edited by AtheK : 21st February 2022 at 23:50.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 01:13   #15
BHPian

End of an era for the hatchback that had perfect dynamics, braking, tank-like build, precise fit & finish, first in the segment laser-welded roof, paint quality, first one to provide twin airbags in the base variant and handling like no other car. Perhaps, this leaves enthusiasts with no good options in the B2 Segment.

Polo certainly lived up to its German DNA reputation for 12 long years with impeccable quality inside-out, double-barrel horn, 3 stage door opening, proper thud, flip VW Logo boot mechanism, neat underbody layout, everlasting plastics, and the famous floor hump in the rear.

Goodbye Legend!

"Legend remains victorious in spite of history."

- Sarah Bernhardt.
Sunderdeep is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks