Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta

Ford is in the process of revamping its product portfolio in India. The company is planning to introduce a number of new models and pull out some old ones. It has stopped the production of the Figo hatchback and the Classic and Fiesta sedans.

The Figo was, at one time, a strong seller for Ford. However, more modern products from rival companies have caused its sales to drop over the months. The Classic has also been selling in low numbers of late and Ford recently launched the Aspire compact sedan as a replacement. In the coming months, the company will launch the new Figo hatchback as well.

The Fiesta has been a poor seller since it was launched. Ford launched a facelifted version of the car and reduced its price as well. Even then, the car's sales didn't pick up. Of late, the sales have plummeted and Ford does not think it is advisable to persist with the product any more. The company has not disclosed any plans to introduce a replacement for it either.

Ford will also launch the all-new Endeavour SUV in the coming months.

Source: ET Auto
Aditya is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta

I am in the market for an automatic hatchback. During the research process, I was tempted by the Ford Classic 1.6. When I enquired with the dealer today, came to know of this news that the Figo hatchback and Classic have been discontinued. Really sad about the Classic.
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

A strong signal emanates from the US Giant.

Fiesta should have been a strong seller.
They did not promote the product at all and killed it in its nascent age.

Ideally, where they should have pushed Fiesta sales in equal proportions to Eco Sport, they just decided to promote the latter and meted out a step motherly treatment for the Fiesta.

They may launch a lot of new products and rejig their portfolio.
Yet, it will send the wrong signals to the market considering they are resting a newly launched product(Fiesta) due to poor sales.

What is the guarantee of the Aspire or the Novo Figo not being discontinued if their sales expectations are not met?

Not a correct move at all to rest the Fiesta.
Can understand the move for the Classic as it is replaced by the Aspire and the Figo with the novo Figo though.

Last edited by arnabchak : 2nd September 2015 at 16:15.
arnabchak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As usual slow and painful death.

Classic - Should have been stopped at least 4 years before
Figo - Should have been replaced by new Figo at least an year ago
Fiesta - DOA (Unfortunately). Internationally when is the next Fiesta due?

Product refreshes and replacements should be X times more quicker in future so that the new launches don't face the fate of their predecessors.

Even after all this, where's the effort to sell the Aspire? Haven't seen any consistent marketing effort. Chennai is usually kind to Fords and I haven't seen a single Aspire on roads yet.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:25   #5
BHPian

There was a time when Honda City diesel did not exist and Hyundai Verna Diesel had long waiting periods. Ford did not aggressively push the diesel Fiesta back then. Paid the price. Many people would not be even aware of the looks of current generation Fiesta (Now discontinued).
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:41   #6
BHPian

It makes me really really sad to read about the brand 'Fiesta' going down in this manner and shocking that there are no plans of its revival! This shouldn't be the fate of what was one time a segment leader.
Ford have themselves and no one else to blame. With a little bit of effort, the Fiesta would have easily done 2k units per month. What a shame this is!
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
It makes me really really sad to read about the brand 'Fiesta' going down in this manner and shocking that there are no plans of its revival! This shouldn't be the fate of what was one time a segment leader.
Ford have themselves and no one else to blame. With a little bit of effort, the Fiesta would have easily done 2k units per month. What a shame this is!
It did its job well and I guess it did help Ford rebuild its image too a bit.

Time they take it down since there are far better models in market from them and others.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2015 at 12:44. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:55   #8
BHPian

Hammer on the figo and the classic is justified as they are being replaced with new products. But Fiesta is a shocker, I agree with you people that one of the reasons for its failure is lack of marketing from Ford's end. Which they are repeating again I fear with the Aspire. I don't see the marketing as much as I would like to see so that it would start making a difference to them in terms of sales. Hey Ford, while you are at it also revamp your marketing team. I don't want to be the Aspire guy just like the fiesta guy.
kilireddy0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:55   #9

While I am happy that Ford is concentrating on better performers to improve their Indian presence, being a new Fiesta owner, this news makes me sad. From a respectable 2-2.5K sales per month around 5 years back, the curtain is now about to close on this legendary product. It's just terrible that despite being one of the best looking, involving and fun machines to own in the C2 segment, the car has to bow out of competition.

The silver lining: we, the Fiesta owners, now belong to an exclusive group owning a limited edition vehicle.
Wolfconsole is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:56   #10
BHPian

Technically speaking, the Figo & Classic are not really dead, but they are just being refreshed with the latest models. The Fiesta on the other hand was never alive anyways. Once one of the cleanest looking sedans in the market (Civic being another one) was turned into an oddball design (purely IMO). The car looked totally disproportionate from the sides with the rising waistline towards that oversized back. The lesser said about Ford's engine choices, the better. The age old 1.4 TDCi has been doing it's duty in their cars since god knows when.

The market has nicely warmed up to hatchbacks of 8-10 lakhs, so hope they do what they have to do and give us good looking powerful cars. The Aspire is in the right direction. Hope they taste success soon and we get more of Ford, like the Focus, Fusion etc.
jayded is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

RIP cars, I am glad I had the privilege to own all 3 of these cars. All 3 were the perfect cars for the petroheads on a budget. Now the game has changed in favour of the masses with the Aspire.

Hope you guys dont mind me going back down the memory lane and share some pictures of the cars that I have owned.

Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta-img_6873.jpg

Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta-dsc_0440.jpg

Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta-1383667_10152329411813919_1125950467_n.jpg

Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta-20150902.jpg
anachronix is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:02   #12
BHPian

Hasn't Ford discontinued Ecosport yet, due to the production constraints for Aspire & all new Figo hatchback??
I did not think Ford Figo is such a poor seller. It is a neat hatchback loved by many, and even though it is long in the tooth, it was still selling reasonable numbers (about 800 - 1000 units per month). IMHO Ford is pulling the plug too soon for this great hatchback, even before the launch of the new Figo hatchback.
Ford itself is responsible for being unable to sell the Fiesta or the Classic. They were too shy to promote both models. Ford Classic (old Fiesta) really has classic appearance and a standard timeless design which Ford could have marketed in a better way than just throwing away huge discounts (which further distanced the buyers).
Okay, now as the new models arrive let us hope that the same Ford Classic treatment is not dished out to Ecosport!

Last edited by hybridpetrol : 2nd September 2015 at 17:03.
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:11   #13
Team-BHP Support

So currently Ford India sells just two models in India? The Ecosport and the Figo Aspire.

Out of which the Aspire is too fresh in the market and Ford seems more interested in exporting the Ecosport than sell it here! Seems a bit directionless IMO.

At a time when even Maruti is taking risks with products like S-Cross in the Indian market- Ford is taking a very cautious route by not launching the brilliant Fiesta hatch, Mondeo sedan etc. They have put a lot of effort on the Aspire, but the lower segments are harder to crack. Time will tell.

Personally, I believe Fiesta hatch can go right to the top of the i20 and Jazz segment, even if priced at bit higher. It makes a much more desirable package than the sedan.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

It definitely makes sense to me and also gives you an impression that the company is taking stock of things and doing something, unlike Chevrolet where its stagnancy written all over the brand. The new Figo hatchback should be a worthy replacement of the current car and I expect it to do well.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2015 at 12:46. Reason: Typo
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:13   #15
BHPian

Fiesta was the car that i really wanted to buy when i was looking for my next car a couple of months back. I eventually dropped it since no one was really keen and the SA's kept asking me to consider Ecosport or wait for the Aspire.
Ford literally killed this car and they never seemed interested to sell this.
mustangvins is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks