Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 09:50   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
. But people know what they are buying since last 8 years isnt it ? Only a diesel can save i10 now.
i10 petrol sells more than swift petrol, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Also felt that i10 is roomier than the swift. Or is it because of that beige ?
And boot space of i10 is also almost the same as that of the new swift.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:44   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: March 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Also felt that i10 is roomier than the swift. Or is it because of that beige ?
And boot space of i10 is also almost the same as that of the new swift.
, but i10's boot is bigger, around 230L as compared to 205L of the Swift in current gen (previous one had slightly bigger boot than i10 IMO).
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 10:57   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Comparing i10 with Swift is not really right because Swift is one notch higher and in fact is to be seen w.r. to WagonR.
Alto sells many times of i10 but comparisons is similarly not pertinent.
i10 is not one in the B2 league really.

Last edited by rajeev k : 16th April 2013 at 11:05.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 11:11   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Comparing i10 with Swift is not really right because Swift is one notch higher and in fact is to be seen w.r. to WagonR.
Alto sells many times of i10 but comparisons is similarly not pertinent.
i10 is not one in the B2 league really.
I compared it only because @rajesh made a comparison with regards to sales of both these vehicles. I was also of the assumption that i10 compares better with the wagon R. But on closer look, utility wise i10 is as good or better than the swift. Even the kappa 2 petrol engine is one notch ahead of the new Swift's k- series ( as per GTO )
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 13:43   #110
BANNED

Quote:
But the i10 is half a segment down , even with the 1.2 Kappa.

But do keep in mind while seeing the i10 numbers that 1.1 iRDE2 also constitutes a large share of the sales. That is cheaper and costs less than 4L in most of its trims(Ex-showroom).
A layman who just wants a nicely equipped car(Power Windows +PS+ Body colored bumpers+ good space) won't give any importance to the larger engine, and just go for the cheaper 1.1.
Also, he won't care to go for the Swift, because even after stretching his budget, he would only get a Barebone LXI variant.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 22:30   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Just wondering why do you call i10 an all rounder ? You yourself agree that Swift has mileage, prestige and resale value. i10 has none.
Rajesh, I am not a fan of either i10 or Hyundai....just compared the leader with with immediate competitor in my post.

What I told is i10 is an all rounder, but not a leader. Swift lacks in space and built quality.

In my personal opinion, other than mileage i10 is a 1000 times better hatch than a swift in terms of quality, reliability comfort, styling, build quality, driving (both city and highway) and service. You may argue for highway driving. I am not going to drive a car at 160km in any of the Indian highways.

Feel free to differ.

Last edited by sunil8089 : 17th April 2013 at 22:32.
Old 19th April 2013, 08:28   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: Please stay on-topic. This is NOT an i10 versus Swift comparison thread. Any more posts on this will be summarily deleted.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 19:38   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I have respect for TML. However after reading through the entire thread, i am literally shocked at TATA sales. It just seems like deja vu of Kodak. Seems like they are suffering from classical incumbents dilemma Denial,history,resistance,mind set,brand,sunk costs,profitability,imagination). If they dont innovate faster than the competition well in couple of years i dont know where the sales will stand.

Old 20th April 2013, 22:23   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the kappa 2 petrol engine is one notch ahead of the new Swift's k- series ( as per GTO )
GTO has earlier quoted this way in the FIGO review,
Quote:
If I were to rank the 1.2 L petrols in order of competency, it would go thus : Ritz 1.2 > i10 Kappa > Figo > Punto > Fabia (3 cylinder).
This would have been about the first gen Kappa engines.

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th April 2013 at 22:28.
Old 20th April 2013, 22:37   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
GTO has quoted this way in the FIGO review,
Yes with Ritz 1.2 when k-series was first released. Not so in the new swift.

Quoting his words here.

'
The 1.2L Petrol:

Maruti's 1.2L K-series has always been considered a jewel. With variable valve tech on the intake (Maruti says this was necessary to improve fuel efficiency), the power output has been bumped up to 86 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 114 Nm of torque (@ 4,000 rpm). That's 2 BHP more than in the older Swift, and about the same torque made at 500 rpm less. Should make the motor even better, right? Wrong. Maruti insists that the engine has been tuned for fuel-efficiency, and the tamer nature is immediately evident at the bottom end. The engine feels weaker at lower rpms, where the older car felt distinctly sprightlier. The low rpm behaviour of the engine is completely different from what the specs sheet would have you believe. And yes, you will need to downshift more often than in the Ritz / outgoing Swift, or a car like the i10 Kappa2. On the positive side, the engine remains very revv-happy & refined throughout the rpm range. The feel above 4,000 rpm is just awesome. Plus, the engine & exhaust note at high rpm sound great. The 1.2L revvs clean right up to its 6,400 rpm redline, and feels at home on the limit. Still, due to the detuned nature, don't expect the outright pace of the older Swift 1.2. Other petrol hatchbacks like the Brio / i10 Kappa2 will leave you in the dust in a drag'
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:34   #116
BHPian

There is a great article on brand engineering and cannibalisation of sales in the Indian market in Business Today. I found it to be great. You can read it here. If you look at the brands separately, then the sales of the primary brand (or the first mover brand) is reduced by 50% and that is massive. But some of the peak sales would have been the initial launch "novelty-led sales". Even if you discount for it, still the drop is quite steep.

I am wondering if there is a better way to do this?

Last edited by BurningHeart : 22nd April 2013 at 09:36.
BurningHeart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:18   #117
Senior - BHPian

IMO, other than the lack of Diesel models, another problem with i10, Eon, Estilo and Spark is their image as feminine looking cars. There is a limit to these feminine cars in terms of sale - about 20K units per month. And this number will be divided among them. That is why after the launch of Eon, i10 sales went down further. Cars like Swift, i20, Ritz, Liva, Polo, WR or even Alto / AltoK10 / Alto800 don't have this image, IMO.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 14:37   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

And now the market leader sees its Q4 net profit risen by 79% based on YoY comparison! The good thing about this boost in the bottomline is that its driven by sales volume which means that Maruti is surely ruling the roost here.

Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/19739179.cms

Last edited by saket77 : 26th April 2013 at 14:39.
Old 30th April 2013, 07:38   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi zooms past BMW as number one player in Indian luxury car space.

Quote:
BMW India sold 1465 units in the January to March of 2013 of which 1410 units were BMW-branded vehicles and 55 were Mini-branded cars, a year-on-year decline of 40%. Audi in the same period sold 2,616 units posting a growth of 15% and Mercedes Benz India sold 2009 units growing by over 5%.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/19791943.cms
Old 30th April 2013, 08:58   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
There is a great article on brand engineering and cannibalisation of sales in the Indian market in Business Today. I found it to be great. You can read it here. If you look at the brands separately, then the sales of the primary brand (or the first mover brand) is reduced by 50% and that is massive. But some of the peak sales would have been the initial launch "novelty-led sales". Even if you discount for it, still the drop is quite steep.
I think a simple comparison of Vento sales (pre-Rapid) and Vento+Rapid sales now does not tell the whole story. We also need to consider how the market changed during this time - specifically the launch of Ertiga and Duster. Both of these car combined now do about 12K units a month(!!), the bulk of which should be sales lost from C-segment sedans. I think all C-segment sedans have suffered - some less (Verna) and some more (Vento/Rapid).
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks