Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 13:38   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012

Note from Mod: Thread closed as our Official Reviews for these vehicles are online:

• Chevrolet Sail U-VA Official Review : Link

• Chevrolet Enjoy Official Review : Link

Please continue the discussion on the review threads.

As expected, cars from Chevrolet India's 50% owner - Chinese Company SAIC - are making their way to India.

Chevrolet Sail Hatchback

I'm afraid Chevy might be doing another Aveo here (the Aveo & UVA ended up as market duds). The Sail hatchback already looks like an old design, and it's only just been unveiled! Except for the headlamps, nothing else looks contemporary enough for a 2012 launch. Sure, Ford had a similar approach with the Figo, but they priced it really well @ 3.xx lakhs. Another reason for the Figo's success was Ford's super-aggressive marketing. Will Chevrolet be able to pull it off, or will it meet the Aveo's fate? The Beat & the Cruze have given Chevrolet India a new identity...people have started equating the brand with modern, funky products. Somehow, the Sail doesn't fit into the new family.

The Sail is only intended for sale in emerging markets. Going by the length of the wheelbase, the interiors should offer decent space, much like the Aveo UVA which the Sail will replace. Interestingly, the petrol tank is placed at the center of the car. Chevrolet had jointly developed the 1.3 MJD with Fiat and thus, chances of the engine making its way to the Sail are very high (the Beat already uses a 3-cylinder version of the same diesel). The Sail hatchback will be launched in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2012, and be positioned a segment above the Beat (alongside the likes of the Swift).

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-sail.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-sail-2.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-sail-3.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-sail-4.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-sail-5.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-sail-6.jpg

Chevrolet MPV

The Chevrolet MPV, on the other hand, looks pretty good by people carrier standards. It will be sold in 7 & 8 seater configurations. Dual-row air-conditioning, airbags and ABS will be optional extras. It will be interesting to see if the new MPV replaces the Tavera, or sells a market position above. Also, the Tavera sources its new BS-IV compliant 2.0 turbo-diesel from ICML. Will the same engine power this MPV?

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-mpv-2.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-mpv-3.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-mpv-4.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-mpv-5.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-mpv-6.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-mpv-7.jpg

Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-mpv-8.jpg

Remember the "flying" Beat mentioned in the main Chevrolet Report? Well, it flew yesterday:
Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012-chevrolet-x.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th May 2013 at 12:46.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 14:22   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV : Auto Expo 2012

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Auto Expo 2012 section
Old 7th January 2012, 14:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

It would have been great if they had launched the Sonic here instead of this outdated hatchback. I hope they launch it with diesel. Otherwise it will hardly sell anything. I hope they have made interiors better than before. Something from sonic will be great which i don't expect.

OTOH, I liked the MPV. If priced right with right features, it could be a segment buster especially as a Taxi.
Old 7th January 2012, 14:50   #4
BHPian

It seems Chevrolet needs some duds in its product line to be happy This Sail could as well go the similar way of the earlier one (remember old Corsa Sail?)

For MPV, pricing could make or kill it.
Old 7th January 2012, 15:13   #5
BHPian

SAIC "Chinese" products coming in the guise of Chevrolet brand. The Sail hatch back looks very similar to Aveo. Nothing new there. I heard that they are going to price this car very aggressively. Only that can be the saving grace for this vehicle.

MPV looks good though
Old 7th January 2012, 15:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
This Sail could as well go the similar way of the earlier one (remember old Corsa Sail?)
However, the Corsa Sail at least looked nice!

This one not only looks outdated, but the rear quarter is horribly 'designed'(if one would like to call it that), and the rear hatch looks like a tinkered FIAT Punto rear, albeit with an unnecessarily large Chevrolet emblem! Thumbs down from me as far as cosmetics are concerned!
Old 7th January 2012, 15:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The MPV looks interesting. From the size it looks like a very spacious vehicle. If launched at good prices it can shake up things in the MPV segment alongside the Innova. The shape is a little bit of a let down since this resembles more of a Maruti EECO to me from the sides. The GC looks quite less which may become an issue with 7 people on board.

Offtopic: I feel after the hatchbacks and the C segment sedans, the MPV segment is the one which is going to see a revolution. Afterall these vehicles will appeal the most to the sensible conscious Indian buyers specially with large families.
Old 7th January 2012, 16:19   #8
BHPian

Door handles of Sail seems to be old style. Another indication of it's dated origin?! They can surely refresh the design more.

On the other hand, MPV looks pleasing, apt as an elder brother of Tavera.
Old 7th January 2012, 16:19   #9
BHPian

Only way out for this car to do well is super aggressive pricing for the MJD variant from day one just like Ford Figo.
Old 7th January 2012, 16:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that Sail would be priced as affordable "premium" compact car. It may be priced about 50K less than the rivals and GM may be able to sell it in some decent numbers a month.

It doesnt look great, but it isnt offensive either. Many people like me would lap it provided the interiors are nice.
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 16:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Sail looks atleast a decade old already! Was hoping for something on the lines of a Cruze hatchback.

The MPV looks decent, should do well in the market. I think the Tavera will remain and serve mainly the taxi market. The MPV will be positioned at private people. Replacing the Tavera with the MPV would damage the current Tavera sales as well as the prospective customers who might not really like the Tavera image/brand.

Last edited by anekho : 7th January 2012 at 16:27.
Old 7th January 2012, 16:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Any interior shots of the Sail? Btw, isn't the Sail Saloon going to be introduced?
Old 7th January 2012, 17:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think GM should remove Chevy brand from the equation and use it's Chinese partner's brand name; then let's see how these cheap Chinese tin cans sell. Why not brand it SAIC instead of hoodwinking the Indians with the Chevy bowtie?

Last edited by Durango Dude : 7th January 2012 at 17:44.
Old 7th January 2012, 18:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

GM will have to play the value card with the Sail. Conservative styling has nothing special going for it. Best to benchmark it against the Vista rather than falling flat while aiming for the Swift.
Old 7th January 2012, 20:05   #15
BHPian

Dont they say that you are supposed to learn from your mistakes?? Changing the name won't really change much. Come'on GM!

As others have said, only if they price it right then SAIL may click a bit, but I see it going down the U-VA road (or sea)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks