Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 01:19   #601
BHPian

I had bought and installed a Daikin 1 ton split AC on 31st May, you can find my buying experience here in post #486. The electricity bill for the period 08-06-09 to 07-07-09 came in today and I am pleasantly surprised to find that my bill have increased by just Rs.767. I didn't know how much exact increase to expect but was prepared for about twice of this amount.

On a unit basis, the increase is 219 kW (units) over the previous month. This translates to 7.3 units of additional consumption per day. Exact increase on account of the AC will be more because the Symphony room cooler (rated at 100W) is used much less often now. We also run the ceiling fan at lowest speed except when sleeping. Our typical AC usage is 16 to 18 hours per day.

So our 1095W (~1.1kW) rated AC is, on an average, drawing about 0.5 kW per hour. A more accurate way to put it would be that it is running only 50% of the time, if you know what I mean . Don't flame me because both statements are not technically correct. LOL

A little note about BEE star rating:
This Daikin is from their most energy efficient 'G' series and has an EER of 3.38. This far exceeds the 5 star minimum EER of 3.1 as per BEE version 1 valid from Jan 07 to Dec 07 (see page 7 of this official pdf document). Note that BEE star rating points are at an increment of 0.20. Minimum EER for a 5 star is 3.30 as per BEE version 2 for Jan 08 to Dec 09 (see page 8 of same document). It is worth noting that Samsung and LG (maybe others too) are still using version 1 rating bands to sell their products.
Old 13th July 2009, 14:54   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Thanks a ton devakj!

Taking inspiration from you, I googled around, and managed to get hold of email id of Samsung India's Deputy MD. Shooted a polite mail across to him last night. And, just an hour back, I got a call from a very senior manager from their customer care department, and he said he will be personally taking care of this issue, and will be sending somebody at my place in couple of hours.

Meanwhile, I asked a local AC mechanic to inspect my AC. He said that cooling is there... but its not upto the mark. Secondly, he said that being a 5 star rated AC, this unit should draw less power, but actually, it was consuming more energy than specified on Samsung's sticker on the AC.

Anyways, lets wait & watch.
So, the mail to Deputy MD did worked. Engineers from Samsung visited my place, and agreed that the cooling is not upto the mark. They changed the gas. And, the so far the AC is working fairly well now. Will try and test out its performance over the next few days before closing this issue.
Old 14th July 2009, 00:27   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
One of my frinds bought a 0.75 ton split Samsung AC which is only having a 1 star BIS rating. How much more will be the power consumption when compared to a 4 star BIS rating ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Each star saves you about Rs 300 in electricity bills if used 24 x 7 for a month.
A bit of a late response but its only now that I have the basis to calculate, see my previous post above. So lets see for a 1 ton AC whose standard cooling capacity is 12,400 btu/hr = 3634 W.

Star ___ E.E.R. ___ Power consumed_
5 star ___ 3.3 _____ 3634/3.3 = 1101 W
4 star ___ 3.1 _____ 3634/3.1 = 1172 W __ Difference = +71 W = 71/1101*100 = +6.45%
1 star ___ 2.5 _____ 3634/2.5 = 1454 W __ Difference = +282 W = 282/1172*100 = +24.06%

So, hypothetically, my one month AC bill of approx. Rs.800 for a 5 star AC would have gone up by 800*0.0645 = 52 rupees if it were a 4 star AC! In response to mithun's question there would have been a 24% increase = Rs.852*0.24 = Rs.204.

I tried various other methods of calculation and still end up with similar figures. I am a bit disappointed. Is my calculation method wrong? Difference between two consecutive star is negligible considering the initial investment. It makes sense if you compare a 1 star to a 4 star or something like that. Of course the difference is more pronounced at higher capacity like 2 ton.
Old 14th July 2009, 00:35   #604
Senior - BHPian

I always trusted Hitachi as the power consumption is less and the cooling is very effective.
Hitachi is japanses stands for " We are"
Old 13th August 2009, 00:23   #605
BHPian

Just to add up a picture-my Electrolux 1.5 Ton A.C.-its working for past 1 year without any problem.The cooling quality,seems to me quite good in contrast to Hitachi in other rooms,but it is less costly.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-10102008134.jpg  

Old 25th August 2009, 10:10   #606
Senior - BHPian

Small piece of advice solicited.
Want to change by 2004 1.5 tonne General window AC now. Requirements:
1. only window AC (bedroom) room size 10x15
2. preferably 2 tonne
3. which brand: General (good blower speed), Godrej (Gree one), Hitachi. Only these 3 to be considered unless Panasonic is now back in window AC.
4. does 2 tonne give higher blower power, and can be used at higher temps. General has great blower speed, but efficiency has definitely come down (from the first 3 years).
Old 25th August 2009, 10:38   #607
Senior - BHPian

I would look at the Hitachi Whisen range. They being imported do not have an EER but are known to be very efficient, due to their 'split motor(s)' design
Old 25th August 2009, 10:46   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I would look at the Hitachi Whisen range. They being imported do not have an EER but are known to be very efficient, due to their 'split motor(s)' design
Split ACs for bedroom are no for me. They are cool but do not give a blast of air, which I prefer. Hitachi is perhaps 5-10% cheaper than General, but are they acceptable enough (I have 2 Generals at home, but as I said, efficiency of 1 has gone down, need to reduce temp from 27 C during 2005-07 to 25 C during 2008 and 23-24 C in 2009).
Old 25th August 2009, 13:39   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
.... (I have 2 Generals at home, but as I said, efficiency of 1 has gone down, need to reduce temp from 27 C during 2005-07 to 25 C during 2008 and 23-24 C in 2009).
Is your conclusion valid?
I think the thermostat is coated with dirt or grime!
Old 25th August 2009, 13:42   #610
Senior - BHPian

Have done everything with 2 service people incl. General service. However, not helped. Clean filter every 2 weeks (not too dusty), also exterior cleaning. Gas is fine. What could be the solution to this reduction in efficiency.
Old 25th August 2009, 17:11   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Split ACs certainly give a blast of air! Just set the flap so that the air is pointing at you.
Old 26th August 2009, 09:18   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Split ACs certainly give a blast of air! Just set the flap so that the air is pointing at you.
Split ACs are out because of two major factors:
1. breakage required in bedroom and mods to close the window AC space.
2. repaint of the damaged area

Even if I could do this, I find window ACs better because:
1. they give a blast across the room. Split ACs give more diffused cooling.
2. I find that window ACs can be operated at higher temps=lower power bills. Split ACs operated at lower temps (remember temp for sleeping is lower than temp for relaxing/lounging)= higher bills. On this point, I am not so sure as I have heard that splits are more efficient. Does this mean that even though splits are required to be operated at lower temps than windows, do they consume less power for the same cooling effect.
Old 26th August 2009, 09:20   #613
Senior - BHPian

I always prefer Window A/cs.The cooling effect is better than the splits.
My house is equipped with 3 Hitachi Window A/cs 1,5 tonners.They are the best with 5-Star rating and conserve electricity for upto 30%
Old 26th August 2009, 09:26   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I always prefer Window A/cs.The cooling effect is better than the splits.
My house is equipped with 3 Hitachi Window A/cs 1,5 tonners.They are the best with 5-Star rating and conserve electricity for upto 30%
I have heard that General is quite good, but Hitachi is supposed to be better. Even General has saved me money on power compared with Carrier.
Old 26th August 2009, 09:56   #615

o general and hitachi are really good in terms of the technicalities and functional specs. they have an amazing life and equally great customer support. but they are high priced and thus have become a brand for office and middle higher income group use brands. simply to classify them, they are no nonsense brands.

samsung and lg have understood the indian market really well. they have good technicalities and good functional specs, the best thing about them is that, they made every indian middle income groups dream of owning an AC come true. they priced their product well and they have dominated the market. after service is quite good. life of the products are good too. they may not be as good as o general or hitachi but there are offering the best possible things for the price that they have positioned for.

And there are others in the list: videocon, carrier, etc, etc but they have been a silent players and would remain silent by targeting a niche group.

personally i use LG (both at home and in office)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks