Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 21:03   #1
BHPian

DIY - Lock down the Woofer from moving around in the Scorpio

The Issue:
The Woofer in an 8 seater sits pretty snuggly when the third row is in place. But when it is folded, the box tugs at the wires every time you brake or go up or down a slope. I was fed up with all the unwanted bass that the speaker was making by hitting the walls and everything else around.

I thought of a really low tech solution to fix this problem. I'm not sure if it works on other cars, but this works just fine for the 8 seater Scropio.

The Solution:

You need 2 - 3 meters of Velcro and this costs about 25 Rs per meter. You usually get this at hardware shops. But if you are particular about black colored velcro, try shops that sell tailoring stuff. We need the hard part of the velcro and not the soft fibrous part. Most speakers have a fibre finish that can naturally act like the soft part of the velcro. I got this idea from Red Liner who has dome something like this for smaller speakers. But he stuck the hard part on to the base of his speakers and used the fibrous parts of his car to interlock with the velcro at the base of the speakers. I did something a little different. Here is how you do it.

1. Measure the base of the speaker and cut the velcro band to the same lengths.
2. Now that you have similar length bands, Stitch or staple these together to form a large patch. I did both.
3. Check the position at which you want the speaker to be placed and then loosen the plate you see as soon as you open the rear door. (Not sure what it is called, check the pictures.)
4. Don't remove the plate completely, you may not be able to assemble it back. We just need a small gap to insert one end of the velcro under the plate.
5. Make two holes on the Velcro patch so that it corresponds to the pitch of the screws holding the plate.
6. Now insert the velcro patch in the gap and screw the plate back on and place the speaker on top.

Result:

Rock solid Woofer that does not budge even if you can drive your car upside down..

Here is the picture of the patch that was stapled AND stitched together
DIY - Lock down the Woofer from moving around in the Scorpio-patch.jpg

After inserting and screwing back the plate
DIY - Lock down the Woofer from moving around in the Scorpio-patch-installed.jpg

Another view of the velcro being held in place by the plate.
DIY - Lock down the Woofer from moving around in the Scorpio-patch-another-view.jpg

Top view after speaker was placed on top of the velcro patch
DIY - Lock down the Woofer from moving around in the Scorpio-top-view.jpg

Side view of our new sticky woofer.
DIY - Lock down the Woofer from moving around in the Scorpio-final-picture.jpg
triedeverything is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 00:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - Lock down the Woofer from moving around in the Scorpio

I saw the thread title on the Forum home page & thought I would suggest the Velcros. But you have already done that & it will hold good enough.

Good luck mate
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 02:55   #3
BHPian

Nice work,
I was planning to do the same but didn't had time to buy Velcro and put some DIY brains to subwoofer.

May be will do this in a few weeks as currently i've other things to take care of.
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 10:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Like @blackfire, I too opened the thread to suggest velcro

Btw, is the sub covering one of the rear speakers?
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 12:15   #5
BHPian

Neat solution.

I would still tie it down with something more robust to prevent it from coming loose and hitting someone inside the scorpio in the unfortunate case of a crash.
CrackedHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 21:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Btw, is the sub covering one of the rear speakers?
The rear speakers aren't connected. I've installed ovals on the sides on the last row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Neat solution.
I would still tie it down with something more robust to prevent it from coming loose and hitting someone inside the scorpio in the unfortunate case of a crash.
At high speeds, mostly on the highway, there's usually a lot of other stuff in the back that are used to tightly pack everything in place.. including the speaker.

What did you have in mind when you say 'tie it down'?

Last edited by triedeverything : 5th June 2012 at 22:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks