Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2006, 20:11   #91
Senior - BHPian

What are these DiVINE looking speakers?? .. In that Sail install??

And These??... they look so much like the HErtz??.. are they??

Old 5th April 2006, 20:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Navin u like this installation very much man but it has got active crossover in it . are they like EQ or they are different than that
He no like it, man. He wants his wife to get something like this, so that he knows he's always one up on her on tonal balance all his life (atleast when it comes to the car audio system)! Just Kidding LBM.

Crossovers are way different from equalizers, although they fall under the same category i.e. signal processors.

A signal processor basically takes your audio signal, in this case from the pre-out of the head unit and modifies it depending on the nature of the processor.

Simply put, an equalizer allows you to boost/ attenuate the signal at certain frequencies to overcome certain inadequacies or extravagance in the input waveform. A crossover would generally cut the signal into two or more bands depending on whether it is just a 'single pass filter' or 'multi-pass' i.e. 2-way/ 3-way etc.

Assume your signal is a basket of fruits. An equalizer will allow you to reduce the oranges, increase the apples, deduct a grape or two etc. A crossover will alow you to seperate the apples from the oranges, and maybe the grapes too. (What a lewd example, no wonder people think I'm fruity )

Both can be extremely hazardous if used without a prescription and if not administered in the presence of an adult (read as: experienced installer)

Crossovers that come as a matching set for a component set are passive and undertake the same job as the active ones, except that the filtering is being done to the speaker level signal as opposed to the line level. These are optimised for the pair (or more in case of a 3-way) of drivers in concern that comprise the component set so that you dont have to do some PhD in figuring out what crossover frequency to set/ what slope etc. Sometimes you have a passive equalizer on the crossover too, which is like a switch that allows you to defeat or enhance the tweeter by 3dB or so. So I hope you understand that they're both doing very different jobs.
Old 5th April 2006, 22:04   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000
hi navin ,are you a member on www.diyaudio.com ?
Navin is. So am I. Are you?
Old 6th April 2006, 01:14   #94
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100

And These??... they look so much like the HErtz??.. are they??

Well they do look similar to the Hertz ESK 165s ... But they look a lot more like the yellow cones blah blah from pioneer ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Assume your signal is a basket of fruits. An equalizer will allow you to reduce the oranges, increase the apples, deduct a grape or two etc. A crossover will alow you to seperate the apples from the oranges, and maybe the grapes too.
I just hope v1p3r is not lurking around here .. What say JB , sam ??
Old 7th April 2006, 16:51   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
Navin is. So am I. Are you?
wow ,nice to meet you guys ,never interacted with both of you that much on diy .,but ,i think you are vivek on diyaudio ,if i am not wrong !
greatmana2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2006, 23:33   #96
Team-BHP Support

i have been off diy for a while. last time i was active was on the EL34 thread. I have got a EL34 and EL84 amp in the oven.
Old 8th April 2006, 00:05   #97
BANNED

fried ?,that supposed to be excusable in diy .hehe

anyways ,i havent been into diy these days . i am busy concentrating on my career than tinker with sillicon .
Old 8th April 2006, 00:17   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000
wow ,nice to meet you guys ,never interacted with both of you that much on diy .,but ,i think you are vivek on diyaudio ,if i am not wrong !
You are right. I do not go there too often now.
Old 8th April 2006, 00:26   #99
Team-BHP Support

not fried. baking. in the works.
Old 16th February 2008, 06:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It's usually printed on the magnet. Post a Pic if you cant tell. maybe someone here can.

here is the pic this should do the job!

Old 16th February 2008, 12:36   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
here is the pic this should do the job!
Rider I think you posted in a wrong thread
Old 17th February 2008, 00:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It's usually printed on the magnet. Post a Pic if you cant tell. maybe someone here can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Rider I think you posted in a wrong thread

no its this thread and navinji asked for it checkout the third page and see navinji's query! it is in this thread that he said "may be someone here can"!
Old 13th February 2009, 06:13   #103
BHPian

Sub Woofer Enclosures

Sub Woofer Enclosures
The purpose of the subwoofer enclosure is to allow a subwoofer driver to produce the desired bass frequency response. Not everyone likes the same kind of bass. A 19-year-old hip-hop fan would want a different kind of sound from a 30-year-old jazz lover. The keys to getting what you want is understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each type of box and matching the right box to the right driver.

Source

Sealed Enclosures
Sealed enclosures will take up less space in the vehicle. Use a subwoofer driver that is specifically designed for small sealed enclosures like the Polk dX and Polk/MOMO subwoofers. Sealed enclosures usually produce a flat, extended and "tight" bass response but are less efficient than ported enclosures, so you'll need a powerful amplifier to get loud bass. A sealed box is a good choice for customers looking for an accurate, more sophisticated sound. It is critical with this kind of design that the box be well constructed and absolutely airtight. Air leaks will cause noises that are easily mistaken as blown driver noises.

Ported Enclosures
Ported or "vented" boxes have the advantage of delivering high bass output with less amplifier power than is needed for a sealed enclosure. Ported boxes can have very good deep bass response but will be less "tight" sounding than a sealed box. Vented boxes are larger than a sealed enclosure. At high volume levels the port can make a "chuffing" noise because of high speed air-flow in the port tube. Ported systems with high "Vent Air Velocity" are not good choices for people who want to play their systems very loud.

Bandpass Enclosures
This type of enclosure consists of two enclosure sections. The first section is a sealed and the second section is ported. The woofer is loaded into the sealed side and then the front of the cone is firing into the ported side. This design is called "Bandpass" because it will only reproduce certain bass frequencies |within a narrow section of the audio band. The advantages of this type of enclosure are very high efficiency and steeper filtering of unwanted midrange frequencies. Bandpass boxes can produce awesome amounts of bass with very little amplifier power. But there is a price to pay for this efficiency. Bandpass boxes tend to produce "one-note," somewhat "boomy" bass and are large. People who like to listen to Bass CDs tend to like bandpass boxes. They are also a good choice in systems where another woofer handles the mid-bass chores and the bandpass is needed only for reproducing the very lowest bass range. Even though they are ported, bandpass boxes have low Vent Air Velocity and can play very loud without excessive port noise.
DON'T FORGET
To Ensure Good Bass from Your Box:
1. Pre drill all screw holes.
2. Seal all interior seams with a silicone caulking.
3. Install a gasket on the back of the basket.

Source

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Do make sure that you provide the references/original source for every piece of material that has been taken from another website/publication, to give credit to the original author.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sub Woofer Enclosures.doc (48.0 KB, 506 views)

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th February 2009 at 14:53. Reason: Source added, see note in post for details
Old 13th February 2009, 14:47   #104
Senior - BHPian

It would be advisble to mention the source of the piece that you have pasted here. For future reference, this link might be handy. Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Announcements
Old 13th February 2009, 14:50   #105
BANNED

Good explanation M@verick..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks