Old 1st September 2006, 10:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Okay so I need to budget approx :

Amp wiring kit (4ga) - 3000
Speaker cable 15mtr(16ga) - 750
Subwoofer cable 5mtr(12ga) - 750
Sealed sub enclosure - 1500
Labour - 1500

I was told by an installer I required 2 amp kits + distribution box/fuse holder wasnt included in the kit. For example JBL kit will be enough to wire just one amp and I need the get the other etxra's.... problem is he quoted me approx 8k for the entire setup but using 8ga amp wiring and 24/25ga speaker. Which kinda sucks if you ask me !!

Can anyone recommend some 4ga amp wiring kits which come with the works ?

B&T if there's any stuff available in lamington road, tell me, I will try and search for it here. otherwise my bro is in mumbai, he can send it down to bangy for me.
Old 1st September 2006, 11:40   #47
BANNED

Go for audison cabling! They're of very good quality as I've seen in many installs. They have 4GA too.
Old 1st September 2006, 11:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Can anyone recommend some 4ga amp wiring kits which come with the works ?
audison kit 4 ga is for 3.3 k......

get a finolex wire 35 mm for 6 metrers it will cost nearly .5k to .7k it will work fine no need to spend alot on that u can adjust the amount in getting some good speaker wire and other stuff like enclousre.....
Old 1st September 2006, 13:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Audison

LBM, would the kit you mentioned be sufficient for 2 amps ??
Where does the finolex come into place?

Thanks guys
Old 1st September 2006, 13:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

the audison kit has the following stuff in it...

the main stuff is
4 ga 5.2 meter main wire with a afs fuse holder with 60 amps fuse and thimble at one end....
4 ga 1 meter ground wire with thimble at one end....
5.2 meter ground wire...

and some ties split loom etc....(doesnot count much as all these stuff is already with the ICE installler shop)

so the main two wire are of 4 ga which u can replace them with 35mmsq (2ga) finolex wire which can be bought at any good electrical shop if finolex is not there u can try havells and rr cable...but do this only for power not other wiress......

some pics of the kit....

this kit will not be sufficient for two amps......as it is a 600 watts kit .......

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 1st September 2006 at 13:31.
Old 1st September 2006, 13:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
this kit will not be sufficient for two amps......as it is a 600 watts kit .......
Thats the issue here! Getting 2 kits will dig deeeeeeeep into my pockets. I need a cheaper alternative for the 2 amps, so that i can spend on the other stuff also

Or is the following budget very unrealistic (2 AMPS) ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Okay so I need to budget approx :

Amp wiring kit (4ga) - 3000
Speaker cable 15mtr(16ga) - 750
Subwoofer cable 5mtr(12ga) - 750
Sealed sub enclosure - 1500
Labour - 1500
And then there is damping also to think about !
Old 1st September 2006, 14:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Man what I said above is that get a 35 mmsq copper wire it will be for Rs 700 to 900 only for 6 meteres... this will bring down the overall cost .

the above wire can easily handle your two amps so from the battery to the 2 ch amp as it will take huge load and from that amp connect the 4 channel with a thin wire take 8 ga as it will be sufficent.......ground the 2 ch amp with 4 ga wire and the 4 channel as it will be running mids and highs with a 8 ga....

U dont nee a distribution box at all....

or u can do one thing ....

here i am using two 4 ga wire to connect three amps u can use the same but single wire to two amps....simple and yet effective....here I have used thimble to crip the wire so that no loose connection is there and then bolt the thimble for a tight connection.....after that I wrapped the whole with a FRICTION-INSULATION TAPE it is a black color cloth tape used to cover any loose wire.....cost of the tape is Rs 80 for 20 meters...easily avalable at any good electical shop....the cost of thimble is Rs 14 each....no do the costing your self......lol
Old 1st September 2006, 20:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
the above wire can easily handle your two amps so from the battery to the 2 ch amp as it will take huge load and from that amp connect the 4 channel with a thin wire take 8 ga as it will be sufficent.......ground the 2 ch amp with 4 ga wire and the 4 channel as it will be running mids and highs with a 8 ga....
how do u plan to connect two amp with each other then??

From 2nd pic,i cam guess that u r using nuts and bolts instead of distribution block.
Old 1st September 2006, 21:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

my Pio amp was done with finolex or so cables/ RCA ( x 3; 2 for Pio amp and one for blau ) by Connection Audison

My Blau amp was installed using Twister amp kit; 1800rs

In future, when I get $$, I plan to get teh Audison kit ( with distribution blocks etc)
Old 2nd September 2006, 00:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
how do u plan to connect two amp with each other then??

From 2nd pic,i cam guess that u r using nuts and bolts instead of distribution block.
Ya ine can bring one wire from the battery crimp a thimble to it and make two wire one for each amp and crimp a thimble on there ends and tighten all of them with a nut and bolt.....

Ya I am using a nut and bolt to connect wire no need to get

The purpose of a dirtibutuion block to distribute the main wire to different amps that all. this all can be done with above.........
Old 2nd September 2006, 16:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

I dont doubt LBM's diy method as many people have vouched for his ICE, especially since the Delhi Meat

I think the first option you mentioned of

a. Battery --> 2 channel (finolex or similar)
b. 2 ch --> 4 ch (8ga)
c. Ground 2 ch --> (4ga)
d. Ground 4 ch--> (8ga)

Is workable and will also ease up on the budget.

Option 2 where you have replaced the dist. box also seems to be a smart alternative but onyl in the hands of yourself or a worthy installer, otherwise it might lead to complications. Not sure if Im ready for a DIY!!

JK, has your setup used a similar method to replace the dist.box ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
my Pio amp was done with finolex or so cables/ RCA ( x 3; 2 for Pio amp and one for blau) by Connection Audison

My Blau amp was installed using Twister amp kit; 1800rs
Thanks for the pricing of the twister.

Do you remember what you paid for Connection Audison ? (those are interconnects/rca right? )
Old 2nd September 2006, 16:45   #57
BHPian

LBM,shorely u can use nuts and bolts in place of dis.block but what about fuses.Dont u need to put fuses while going from bigger to smaller power wire??? Or u r bit sceptical of using fuse after u melted one.

BTW how was delhi meat!!!!
Old 2nd September 2006, 17:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what about fuses.Dont u need to put fuses while going from bigger to smaller power wire???
The fuse will still be required in the setup, he didnt mention it thats all.

Quote:
BTW how was delhi meat!!!!
Delhi : TeamBHP MEAT

Last edited by s0uljah : 2nd September 2006 at 17:11. Reason: added link
Old 2nd September 2006, 18:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
U dont nee a distribution box at all....

or u can do one thing ....

here i am using two 4 ga wire to connect three amps u can use the same but single wire to two amps....simple and yet effective....here I have used thimble to crip the wire so that no loose connection is there and then bolt the thimble for a tight connection.....after that I wrapped the whole with a FRICTION-INSULATION TAPE it is a black color cloth tape used to cover any loose wire.....cost of the tape is Rs 80 for 20 meters...easily avalable at any good electical shop....
LBM, I like your DIY effort but dont you think the above method is a potential fire hazard. Insulatation tape over a metal bolt and nut will easily deteriorate over time due to heat, quality of adhesive, and the fact that the taped joint isnt mounted securely and might get pinched between seats etc. With no inline fuse in your car (I am assuming you dont have any fuseholder near the battery, I may be wrong), that will set you car on FIRE.

And please consider that a basic distribution block costs only Rs 700 more or less. And this is mountable and comes with cover. Is this "jugad" even worth the headache?

Last edited by gunbir : 2nd September 2006 at 18:08.
Old 2nd September 2006, 19:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Insulatation tape over a metal bolt and nut will easily deteriorate over time due to heat, quality of adhesive, and the fact that the taped joint isnt mounted securely and might get pinched between seats etc. With no inline fuse in your car (I am assuming you dont have any fuseholder near the battery, I may be wrong), that will set you car on FIRE.
The tape used is not insulation tape if u have read it earlier I have used a friction insulation tape it is made up of cloth and it is tough enough to widthstand minor mutilation so no need to worry on that part....

PS this friction tape is used in industry to cover the open section of wire where joints are made.....

very smililar to this....

about the fuse there is one close to the battery where need....also there are fuses on the amp also.......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks