Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 07:36   #1
BHPian

Torn skin around sub woofer

The cone around the subwoofer (I'm not sure what it is called) has developed a tear. Is it possible to change this? Where do I get this done in Bangalore?
Old 19th December 2009, 18:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Rubber surround.

A couple of guys in SP Lane can, but would need a replacement surround. Which make / model is your sub?
Old 19th December 2009, 19:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I got mine repaired at a tyrewallah's, the tear was not big ( puncture from a nail or so)
snaps here
Repairing a rubber surround

I'm yet to upload the 'after' snaps ( they do look kinda ugly )
Old 19th December 2009, 19:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

The correct way to fix a torn surround is to get a replacement recone kit. Most companies won't carry it for entry level subwoofers atleast. Getting a replacement surround only, is also fine. But gluing it to the cone which is already assembled is a bit dicey without a proper jig.

Using the rubber patches used for fixing tyre tubes is completely unacceptable. The patch will have very little elasticity when the glue hardens. And this can cause the coil to move in a misaligned manner and damage the sub.
Old 19th December 2009, 23:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I got mine repaired at a tyrewallah's, the tear was not big ( puncture from a nail or so)
snaps here
Repairing a rubber surround

I'm yet to upload the 'after' snaps ( they do look kinda ugly )
I used araldite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Rubber surround.

A couple of guys in SP Lane can, but would need a replacement surround. Which make / model is your sub?
I think it is a Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The correct way to fix a torn surround is to get a replacement recone kit. Most companies won't carry it for entry level subwoofers atleast. Getting a replacement surround only, is also fine. But gluing it to the cone which is already assembled is a bit dicey without a proper jig.

Using the rubber patches used for fixing tyre tubes is completely unacceptable. The patch will have very little elasticity when the glue hardens. And this can cause the coil to move in a misaligned manner and damage the sub.
You are right... hence the thread

Last edited by triedeverything : 19th December 2009 at 23:16.
Old 20th December 2009, 00:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

-well, it worked for me

A change in the compliance of the surround is a far lesser issue for me compared to the back wave leaking through a hole in the surround. An issue, yes, But I can live with it!

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th December 2009 at 00:38.
Old 20th December 2009, 18:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-well, it worked for me

A change in the compliance of the surround is a far lesser issue for me compared to the back wave leaking through a hole in the surround. An issue, yes, But I can live with it!
It's fine for your setup, I'm sure there isn't even an audible difference. My reference was to folks who are using high quality speakers/ subwoofers.
Old 20th December 2009, 20:23   #8
BHPian

Speaker suspension Repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post

I had repaired 6 sets of speakers which had the flexible suspension around the edges crumbled away. Some one adviced me to get it repaired by a guy known as "Speaker Babu" in SJP road. He could not do it so adviced me to use cloth and repair it my self. Its a bit tricky bussiness.

So I decided to do it my self. I used the thin flexible packing material in which normally video players etc comes packed. Silicon rubber is used to fix this material to the Cone and the frame. All the speakers are working fine without any noticable difference in sound quality.
Old 20th December 2009, 20:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the back wave leaking through a hole in the surround ...
Greenie, you are really at your humorous best today!

Leaking through the 'nail-puncture hole'? Consider this: the rubber surround is pliant enough that the back pressure in the box can bulge it enough to create a wave in phase with the back wave - and this wave is likely to be much more powerful than the one leaking through the hole. Does that happen?
Old 20th December 2009, 22:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

well, the thing was that I could feel the air coming out through the surround, kinda like a puncture in a tube. I'm not sure how this other surround wave happens
Old 20th December 2009, 23:34   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I used araldite
araldite is the wrong glue to use if any the glue should be a rubber glue.
Old 21st December 2009, 10:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
araldite is the wrong glue to use if any the glue should be a rubber glue.
Because araldite gets hard when cured but the rubber glue has a bit of flexibility which is good in these type of conditions.
Old 21st December 2009, 10:11   #13
BHPian

You need a speaker foam repair kit something like these,
PRO GRADE 10" SPEAKER FOAM SURROUND REPAIR KIT !!!! - eBay (item 380189136028 end time Jan-16-10 03:29:37 PST)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks