Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 19:22   #1
BHPian

Am i Doomed With respect to ICE in DZire Vxi

Hello ALL

Here is my query ( please excuse the long essay!)

First let me start by quoting a fellow bhpian

A HU is the foundation of any ICE install;
It is the source of the music.
It is also the control centre of your set up.
IMHO it is most important part of an ICE install.

You need to set the X-Overs from here.
Frequency + Slopes
Time Alignment + Bass Management
Equalizers [I never use them]
Faders + Balance etc.

So much is done by the HU.
It controls the Amplifiers, send signals to it etc.

Please do choose your HU very very carefully.
I always do...

NOW HERES MY HUGE PROBLEM!

im thinking of buying the new Swift Dzire VXI

now the problem is that this car comes with the stock HU and speakers with the ICE panel like whats on the SX4
i auditioned it and i must say - my 8yr old 2*** series pioneer HU with 4inch fronts + 6*9 rear pioneer speakers in my maruti 800 sounds better!

yes the Dzire "facia" does look really good but i know the actual Hu quality behind it must be just below average or at best average.

i think its Nippon ( considering the speakers are of the same make)

Though im willing to change all the speakers and add an amp im quite hesitant to rip off the stock facia (bcause of its good looks)

i was suggested that we could use the stock HU and use line output converters and then add an amp and change all the speakers.

is there any way of keeping the facia controls and changing the HU behind ???(i.e to control another HU using the same buttons on the facia )

Furthermore this HU has no XO over controls frequency or slope controls.its got only bass and treble setting

How then wud this Setup be tuned???
will it still be worth going for components with crossovers?

i hope you guys do some Magic so that at least my new setup sounds better than my 8 yr old maruti setup

PLease suggest new setup.

I was thinking (pending your advice )_

Stock HU (if at all the HU cant be changed!! - was initially planning 5050 pio)
EL 6.1 (Amp driven)
use the stock speakers for the rear and drive it off the HU
Add a sub in sealed box-bridged amp output-was thinking GZTW30T (Please suggest alternative)
Amp Kenwood 8401 or an older series Ground Zero AMp which im in consultation with Ajayji for (PLs Suggest alternative)

Total amount willing to spend including GZPK 8gauge wiring kit and labour 20-25k

my parting question - Am i really stuck with the stock HU and doomed with reagurd to ICE in this car ( keeping in mind i want to retain the facia controls)
Looking forward to some valuable solutions from you all

best regaurds
Ali
Old 28th March 2008, 19:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

I think by upgrading the speakers and adding an amp will give you good satisfaction.

Try that first and then think about replacing the HU with a better Double DIN unit.
Old 28th March 2008, 19:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

If the stock HU has 2 pre-outs, you'll be better off with all you need to do. At least you can keep the Stock HU and try doing rest of the stuff at the amp level.

Like Jaggu said, you never know, you may be happy with just a speaker upgrade (stock speakers are usually crappy). If that doesn't do it, try adding an amp. If there are no preouts, try the speaker-level inputs to feed the amp (the amp will need to support this). Last, try replacing the HU.

You'll most likely lose steering-wheel controls if you swap the HU, but since the other Swifts can take an aftermarket HU (single-din or Double-din), I don't think any real butchery will be needed on the dash. And a better sounding HU is definitely worth losing the steering-mounted controls.

I guess you need to decide whether you want to keep the looks or enjoy a better-sounding setup
Old 28th March 2008, 20:06   #4
BHPian

You need not be worried about the look of the dash if you changeover to an aftermarket HU. You can easily remove the integrated HU from you car and use a DAsh-Kit from Maruti which comes OE in the Swift LXI/VXI and the DZire LXi. Then you can easily install any Head-Unit of your choice, be it Single or Double Din and your dash will look just the way it looks with an after-market HU installed in a stock DZire LXi.............Neat and Stock!

Yes, you will lose the Steering mounted remote, but if you can spend upto i think 7k, then there is an IR-remote module (contact Gunbir for more details) which can be installed and then you can control your after-market HU from the stock steering remote and thereby you wont lose the steering remote.

Cheers
Old 28th March 2008, 22:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Dzire VXi does not have audio controls on the steering.
Old 28th March 2008, 23:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
The Dzire VXi does not have audio controls on the steering.
I second that! Soo Magma, you need not worry about losing the steering remote since the Vxi does not come with one

Cheers
Old 29th March 2008, 13:40   #7
BHPian

guys
i have never stated that the dezire VXI has steering mounted controls

what i have been talking about is the Stock HU - the good looking dash layout ( Facia) controls!

Behind this Facia there lies a crappy nippon unit.
i was wondering if the dash buttons can be retained after changing the unit behind after doing some jugaar
HOwever i have found out that its not posible ( and if it is then it caals for some really major jugar and a piece of electronic equipment that would connect the Facia buttons to the new head unit behind)
Old 30th March 2008, 08:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

I faced the same problem in my civic. I managed to retain the original HU and upgraded the rest. Its fantastic now. I must add that I do not have too much control from the HU apart from bass and treble and fading, but I've managed to retain the stock slick look of the dash. Have a look at my thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...e-upgrade.html
Old 30th March 2008, 09:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I faced the same problem in my civic. I managed to retain the original HU and upgraded the rest. Its fantastic now. I must add that I do not have too much control from the HU apart from bass and treble and fading, but I've managed to retain the stock slick look of the dash. Have a look at my thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...e-upgrade.html
thanks dinu
ur thread helped a lot
i envy the fibre glass work you got done on the rear parcel but the FG sub enclosures are just superb! - man i wish i could get that kinda stuff done here in mumbai.
(not heard of FG fellows here recommended b bhpians)

Also the direct IC connections done to avoid the spekaer level inputs/
i need to know more man
Old 30th March 2008, 11:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Magma. I'm sure there are many competent installers in Mumbai who do a real good work. FG is no big deal, 'm sure TBHPians can help in locating installers who do this work in Mumbai.

For DZire, I can suggest one more option for you. You can retain the HU and you can add one more HU in the space behind the gear lever. I think there is ample space there. Why don't you look at that option where you can get the best of both worlds.

PM me if you want more details on the work I carried out.
Old 31st March 2008, 12:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

C'mon Mumbaikars, you can help Magma find a good installer !!!
Old 31st March 2008, 13:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

Dinu, Anwar is very good. Dont know anyone in Mumbai who is in his league.
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:47   #13
BHPian

Dzire VXI ICE

Hi Experts,

I wanted to open this thread again. I have a Dzire VXI(1 week old). As everybody, I am not happy with the sound quality .

Can you please give suggestions on what best can I do with a budget of around 10K?. I would prefer not to change the HU. Is it possible to get good results without changing HU ?.

Thanks

Regards,
Vishal
Old 24th July 2009, 12:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

@cbzire, please refer to the Swift audio thread for more inputs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks