Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2008, 23:56   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Did you get a chance to see their private collection ?
Who are you referring to? Jamnagar or Gondal? The ones I posted are on public display in a museum
Old 26th March 2008, 00:02   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Wonderful pictures DKG just love the Daimlers, are they both Double Sixes? Quite a pretty Packard too. At one rally in the 90s in Delhi a massive Double six Daimler arrived at the judging (I think it was towed) it was a huge formal "Royal" limousine in not too good mechanical shape. Later it sat in the drive way of the house of a Raja who is a 50-60s american car collector, bits went missing then it was sold to someone, never to be seen again. I always wonder where it went. It was accompanied at the rally by an elderly mechanic who during the 1980s used to work on some of the large cars around, he got the Darbhanga Delauney Belleville (photos in the Delhi Rally pictures thread, now safe in Delhi) going and it ran a few rallies ok. Does anyone remember this mechanic? When I started restoring cars in Delhi in about 84 he seemed to be the only chap at the time involved in the big cars. I believe he is no more now. If I remember he loved a drink too many... I digress, has any one seen a huge 30s Daimler double six high roof limousine anywhere?
Again lovely photos of the Gondal cars what is that monstrosity that comes first? Thankfully the road roller never altered the cars in any way

Sharad Sanghi in Indore has a massive Daimler just like what you describe. I think its called the King George edition or something. I have pictures of it will dig them out. Huge car

The "monstrosity" is a rare car called New Engine, possibly one of very few surviving in the world.

The sedan in Gondal is a Double Six if I recall correctly. I could be wrong though as I didn't see its engine
Old 26th March 2008, 00:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Who are you referring to? Jamnagar or Gondal? The ones I posted are on public display in a museum
I am talking Gondal's private collection. because there are lots of american cars i heard.
Old 26th March 2008, 00:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Sharad Sanghi in Indore has a massive Daimler just like what you describe. I think its called the King George edition or something. I have pictures of it will dig them out. Huge car

The "monstrosity" is a rare car called New Engine, possibly one of very few surviving in the world.

The sedan in Gondal is a Double Six if I recall correctly. I could be wrong though as I didn't see its engine
i guess its BRG 4, must have reached indore, iv seen the original rc when it was with chetan, showed Dr Sir Kameshwar singh of Darbangha as the owner, also had war time fuel ration stamps in it, didnt realise maharaja's cars had to go through fuel rationing too for the war effort.
(my studebaker's rc even has tyre rationing entries)

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th March 2008 at 09:48. Reason: posting error/typo
Old 26th March 2008, 00:31   #20
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
I am talking Gondal's private collection. because there are lots of american cars i heard.
Oh yes, the museum displays many many more cars. Quite a few Cadillacs and many others too. As I mentioned I took pictures mostly of stuff I liked and hopefully we can get subsequent visitors to capture pictures of all the other cars and post here. I think barring a couple in Bombay most of their cars are in the museum display (to my knowledge)

Awini the Daimler with Mr. Sanghi I remember was a maroon and black, will post pictures once I find them

Last edited by DKG : 26th March 2008 at 00:32.
Old 29th March 2008, 04:33   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't get through to seeing the Jamnagar collection, as I had to move on, but managed to see this Lanchester convertible sedan on display at a local fair

PS The royals were referred to as Jamsahibs of Nawanagar. I think they are Jadejas
While on the subject of the Jamsahibs of Nawanagar, the "Automobiles of the Maharajas" mentions on pg 220 that
"In 1931, the cricketing prince, the Jamsahib 'Ranji' of Nawanagar imported a 5-liter, 8-cylinder, Bugatti with a flamboyant, sporting boat-tail body by Corsica Coachworks with mouldings depicting flashes of lightning on the sides and equipped with twin stepneys"

Could this be that very car ???
(source www.bugatti-trust.co.uk)

Bugatti Type 46 (likely Nawanagar)

The Gondal Collection-nawanagar-maybe-bugatti-corsica-type-46-lightning-1.jpg

The Gondal Collection-nawanagar-maybe-bugatti-corsica-type-46-lightning-2.jpg
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2008, 12:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Could this be that very car ???
(source www.bugatti-trust.co.uk)

Bugatti Type 46 (likely Nawanagar)
Id think there couldnt possibly be 2 of those manufactured! I cant say Im impressed by it though. Great find all the same.
Old 29th March 2008, 15:23   #23
BHPian

It is a bit gross isn't it. I once heard of a few bits surviving of a Bugatti down South somewhere. I wonder if they are from this car.
The Bugatti trust is a lovely place with a small museum at the bottom of a hill climb track where hill climb events are regularily held. We used to go often when living in Gloucestershire nearby.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:24   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a better pic of the superb XK 150S of the Gondals.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gondal Collection-jag01.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2008, 09:09   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the great photo's and information....keep posting
Old 12th January 2009, 13:24   #26
BHPian

Found these pictures on Flickr.

LINK
Attached Thumbnails
The Gondal Collection-1.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-2.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-3.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-4.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-5.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-6.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-7.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-8.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-9.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-10.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-11.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-12.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-13.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-14.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-15.jpg  

The Gondal Collection-16.jpg  

-GS- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2009, 14:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pics Deepak and everybody who has posted pics here. As in Gs's post we know that the Gondal collection is not only restricted to Vintage and Veterans. They have been constantly collecting cars through a while now. The W116 is the 280S previously belonging to Ex-Siren Zeenat Aman. The Blue Camaro was owned by a friend from Nepeansea Road and was sold to the Gondals some years ago. They also have recently acquired the only Dodge Viper in India (IMHO)
The prince is seen driving around these days in a CLS 55 AMG or is it a 63, im not too sure.

Have been invited to see the collection and will be doing so in a few days.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

I must say wonderful collection of car's.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The Blue Camaro
Sorry for the mistake, to be read as the Blue Trans Am.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Sorry for the mistake, to be read as the Blue Trans Am.
Their Orange Camaro is Super Charged!! Gogi Bhai. Maybe for sale at a Price, Im told expecting 20ish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks