Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:49   #1
BHPian

1996 Baby Pajero - Need Advice

I came across a Mini Pajero on Carwale.com and called up the owner and went and checked the vehicle thinking that it is a Mini Pajero.

It is a 1996 Baby Pajero. The owner has done some smart body work but the vehicle is technically messed up. The owner has installed a Maruti Esteem Engine and Gypsy Axel. The mojor issue is that the owner has removed the original 4X4 gear box and installed a Gypsy one. I took a test ride and found that the Engine needs some tuning and the car is getting dragged towards right. The guy has quoted 4 Lacs but is open for an offer.

Can some one please guide me with the following.

1. Can this vehicle be restored to 4X4.
2. What are the modifications needed.
3. What should be the ideal price for this vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
1996 Baby Pajero - Need Advice-snc01342.jpg  

1996 Baby Pajero - Need Advice-snc01343.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2010, 16:30   #2
BHPian

aha
this car was offered to me about 7 months ago for 3.2L,
basically its mechanically a gypsy
was to bling for my liking,
check the ac if you do decide to go for it
the last i remember, cooling was not great and it had overheating issues with the ac on
she sported an excellent paint job then
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

as the saying goes "so many cooks spoil the dish"!

its better to drop the idea to buy this 'dish' as its no longer an original vehicle.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:12   #4
BHPian

the car should below to the wierd and wacky thread. However, i do like the wheels.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:17   #5
BHPian

@Allan: The vehicle still has a great paint job. Since you have already seen the car can you kindly let me know what all basic repairs it will need to get it ready for off roading.

@Parm: When I bought my Mini Pajero, the body was not in a great condition but the Engine and other parts were technically fit. Even I am double minded since technically its messed up. I was only interested because after working on my Mini pajero I wanted a bigger project.

@Abbas: It is not that weird it is still in its original shape.

Last edited by Cloud_Chaser : 2nd November 2010 at 17:20.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:35   #6
BHPian

Check whether the RC book reflects all the changes done.
Else you will be in a soup if you get caught in legal mess.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Offer half the quoted price and plonk in a baleno / DCM / Vitara engine, lift kit, big tyres and you got a crazy machine! It'll be like a mitsu jimny!
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:53   #8
BHPian

The whole front looks original to me , does the owner still have the original engine and gear box , this came in 660cc or 700cc petrol with turbo charger and intercooler , automatic was popular i guess , you find a lot of this in singapore and malaysia . This is kia platform branded as mitsubishi back then . before they took mini seriously .
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:55   #9
BHPian

@ Tejas: Thanks for the info. I have offered him 1.5L and am waiting for his reply.

@ Rovergen: The body is still in original shape. It has some issue with the Automatic gearbox, hence he replaced the Engine and Gearbox. I dont think he has the original Engine and Gear Box
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:04   #10
BHPian

pinin

The original pinin pajero was a kei jidosha car. 660cc with a turbo. about 2 years ago i checked out 2 for sale. they were both original but with automatic gb. the car was so sluggish |slower than mm540| they were uninspiring. i think its because the tc wasnt not working. he was asking for 3.5lacs for 1 and 4lacs for the other which was in slightly better shape

i was restoring 2 bikes then and did not have the appetite for 1 more. all original parts are available from japan.the car is still made in pretty much the original form save for some electronics added for most likely pollution control norms. i know a jdm exporter who was willing to send me all the needed parts. but parts are expensive and since then the yen has appreciated so they will be even more expensive now.

if you want to restore to original, then forget this one. it will cost you too much. if you wish to keep it as is, then as allan says you will have to deal with reliability issues through your entire ownership

good luck!!
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:55   #11
BHPian

Hey Prashant!

No no no!
I don't think it makes sense - you'll be spending way too much money to 'restore' it properly.

Even if you want to make the 4x4 function, you'll have to spend quite a bit - tyres, wheels, tc, and then the Engine tune ups, servicing, etc..

The way this vehicle looks, is putting me off the most. Too much show-sha..

Btw, are you completely done with your mini Paj?
Why don't you focus your resources towards it, instead? I'm just curious to know..
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:03   #12
BHPian

Prashant ,
Waiting for the news ,
say us you picked it at 1/4 the quoted price .......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks