Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 20:03   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Transfer Cases

If a "thanks" button had shown itself, I'd have thanked you all. It seems to be all working out for the best. A seemingly very clean BW transfer case is now fitted in the Marshal and ready to go, pending driveshaft shortening (rear) and lengthening (front).

I feel blessed to have found a quite knowledgeable and actually formally trained mechanic at a typically grimy little outdoor shop just a couple km from my place north of Manali... I'd originally wanted to do the T90/T18 rebuilds by myself, but being pressed for time and not having the hours to study the books / take disassembly photos, etc, or to shuttle the units back and forth from my workplace, and since even a very strong man would find it near impossible to do the removal and refitting to the car alone, I figured it'd be best for me to just do the whole thing at his workshop with some oversight/help/correction where needed. Thus the T90 has also been fully rebuilt (new 1st & 2nd gear, synchros, bearings, dogs, and yes, the longer, finer-splined mainshaft required to mate to the BW).

The "adapter plate" in this case is not really a plate... more of an extension, and it was already on the transfer case when I bought it, fortunately.

The BW X-fer case had been removed sometime back from an old local Commander (but presumably of 4x4 Armada origins) that was converted back to 2WD and sold; By sheer "luck" I found it sitting in the back room of a local auto parts shop when looking for gears for my T18 and picked it up for what I'd call a dirt cheap price (Rs5,500). The aforementioned mechanic, before I'd made the purchase, had told me he knew the car it had come out of. And amazingly by the next morning, he also was able to locate the long, fine-spline mainshaft that had been used in that car's T90 when it had the BW case. This shaft also had less wear than the short (T18-type) that I took out of my T90, so it was well worth his asking price of Rs1,500 (new ones are allegedly Rs2,500-3,000, and difficult to source). So assuming the case is as good internally as it looks to be externally (mechanic and parts shop folks both say there were no issues with it), I think I'm going to be very happy with what the consensus seems to regard an upgrade - all for less money than parts for rebuilding the T18 (with the three needed gears, all the bearings, intermediate shaft, etc). would have cost M&M.

My apologies for forgetting to snap a photo of the two mainshafts side-by-side before assembly; I'll just say that the one for the BW is maybe 3" longer and has roughly twice as many splines.

Again, thanks for everyone's inputs - I'll let everyone know how it runs on this upcoming Manali-Shimla-Delhi-Manali trip. Unfortunately, the one flaw we found with the BW box is that the speedometer gear is non-functional. I suspect it's the internal one that's damaged, since the outer shaft's gear looked okay to me - but we didn't have time (still wanting to hit the road by Saturday AM) to open the case just for that, so will have to do without a speedo or else fit an electronic one with a magnetic pickup off the driveshaft (had a highly modified 1971 Datsun 510 that had such a setup) - which would make re-calibrating for future gearing / tire changes a lot easier anyway. So I'm not going to be able to cite an actual mileage figure, but should be able to get some estimate based on known distances.

Regards,
Erik
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 01:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

PS: The trans/T-case were installed today laying on our backs in an outdoor dirt (by then mud) lot while it was snowing. Came home hours later more drenched and more gritty than I've been in years - very possibly the least pleasant automobile servicing experience I've ever subjected myself to.

-Erik
Old 1st March 2013, 16:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

4x4 locked in for snow use when outbound mid-December and inbound last week and alternating days since; Manali-Subathu-Shimla-Delhi-Subathu-Patiala-Chandigarh-Delhi trip completed successfully, and safe to say I've got a good T-case in the BW. Quiet, shifts simply/effortlessly in-line, no apparent vibes, supports reasonable FE and top speed (figures unknown till I get a speedo installed). No complaints. I've kept the T18 in all its pieces and if I ever a) find someone who wants it; b) find a vehicle I want to convert to 4x4, I'll go ahead and get the three gears and several bearings I need for it and rebuild it.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 13:49   #64
Team-BHP Support

Wow. This is the thread I have been searching for
Tata Safari has a Borg warner 44-54

45-54
Application: Telco
Safari, Sumo,
Sierra, crew cab
Configuration:
Part time
Low-range ratio: 2.48-1
Low range: helical planetary de-
sign
Lube system: gerotor pump
Fluid type: ATF
Dry weight: 63 lbs.
Shift pattern: 2H-4H-N-4L
Shift control: electrical, 4WH shift-
on-the-fly

Scorpio has
45-55
Application:
Mahindra Bolero
and Scorpio
Configuration:
part time
Low-range ratio: 2.48-1
Low range: helical planetary de-
sign
Lube system: gerotor pump
Fluid type: ATF
Dry weight: 63 lbs.
Shift Pattern: 2H-4H-N-4L
Shift control: electrical, 4WH shift-
on-the-fly

Specs are exactly same. So I guess, everything else is going to be same(installation etc.,)
I found an install video also

I have questions
1. there is a 4x4 ECU under the seat. I guess that is useless now. Will there be problems w.r.t error codes in the engine
2. If so, can I disconnect power to ECU somehow without getting service light on?

The reason I want to do this is that my shift mechanism malfunctions every time I spash through water. Something to do with speed sensor I guess.
I can spend a lot of money and get a speed sensor, and it may work for some time.
My vehicle is old, and once motor goes, its again expensive repairs.

So this seems like a nice upgrade!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 15:15   #65
BHPian

I will be following this thread with great interest. I recently acquired an auctioned Bolero GLX (electric shit) and will be starting the rebuild shortly.

- Jai
Old 8th April 2014, 10:11   #66
BHPian

BA 10 GB and Transfer case linkage needed

I need the gear linkage for my civilian version MM550, both the GB and transfer case. This is a single lever type, one for GB and one for transfer case. The longest rod in the picture and the two smaller ones next to it are for GB, the bent one is for the transfer case. Iam near Chennai. Anyone having any idea where I can get this set, please guide. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Transfer Cases-imag1006.jpg  

Old 26th September 2014, 00:41   #67
BHPian

Hi,

I have some queries in regards to maintaining or further lowering the crawl ratios and the crawl speeds of a Jeep when increasing the tire size for the Jeep.

I do understand that this can to an extent be achieved by altering the axle ratio but my query is specifically about the use of a dual transfer case.

I would life to know if this is possible as far as the Mahindra vehicles? If so then what are the possible combinations that can be used.

Thanks,

Regards,

L.o.R

P.S. - I am attaching a reference image from Google for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Transfer Cases-dual-transfer-case..jpg  

Old 29th September 2014, 10:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Transfer Case Doubler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffroad View Post
Hi,

I have some queries in regards to maintaining or further lowering the crawl ratios and the crawl speeds of a Jeep when increasing the tire size for the Jeep.

I do understand that this can to an extent be achieved by altering the axle ratio but my query is specifically about the use of a dual transfer case.

I would life to know if this is possible as far as the Mahindra vehicles? If so then what are the possible combinations that can be used.

P.S. - I am attaching a reference image from Google for reference.

Hi LOR,

The Dual T-Case set-up is possible if you use the Borg-Warner + t-18 Combo.

The BW T-Case uses a Planetary Reduction gear, and the output is taken through a chain drive, to front and Rear Prop Shafts.

In theory the T-18 can be mounted on the BW to get additional reduction.

http://www.billavista.com/Tech/Artic...ler/index.html

http://www.locktup4x4.com.au/blog/du...the-crawl-box/

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 13:40   #69
BHPian

Thanks Arka,

With the question of can it be done out of the way, would you recommend this to be done.?

The two things I am still in doubts about are:

1. Propeller shaft lengths:
Would there be enough space between the rear output of the T-18 and the rear differential for a practical rear propeller shaft. Also, would the length of the front propeller shaft be too long.? This is considering its application is for a MM550.

2. Differential/axle strength:
Would the front and rear differentials and axles be able to take the additional load from the extra low gearing.?

Thanks,

Regards,

L.o.R

P.S.
Arka, I am a big fan of your in depth knowledge and practical approach to modifications. The practical "no bells and whistles" build of your Jeeps is what I someday wish to achieve.
Old 29th September 2014, 14:21   #70
Team-BHP Support

Can somebody post the specifications of the 4WD Bolero Di as I had contacted a person from Eaton for lockers for my Bolero and he has asked for specs -
1. Gearbox and TC (copied from the first post) - NGT520 with T-18 Transfer Case with single lever and straight line shift. Used in Legend/Major/Invader/Bolero DI 4WD.
2. Rear differential and axles (number of splines) - ?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 29th September 2014 at 14:32.
Old 29th September 2014, 14:39   #71
BHPian

Hi Black Pearl,

As far as I can remember,

1. The Gearbox for Bolero DI should be a NGT520
2. The Transfer case should be a T18 Manual shift.
3. The diff-ration should be 3.73:1 if it is running stock ratios.

Thanks,

Regards,

L.o.R
lifeoffroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 14:59   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
2. Rear differential and axles (number of splines) - ?
Rear is Dana 44, 19 spline and Eaton doesn't have a product yet for 19 spline Dana 44. You will have to go for Auburn Gear LSD, Lambda Cable lock, co-developed by Viji swastik or ARB Air Lockers (Very expensive). Simplest and cheapest option is Auburn Gear LSD. Available in USA, for about 270 USD. I am running these. If Eaton can alter their 30 spline and make a 19 spline, there will be a large market in India...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 20:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Would there be a market for a third party supplier of just two 19 spline gears which you retrofit in the Eaton locker?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th September 2014, 12:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Doubler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffroad View Post
Thanks Arka,

With the question of can it be done out of the way, would you recommend this to be done.?

The two things I am still in doubts about are:

1. Propeller shaft lengths:
Would there be enough space between the rear output of the T-18 and the rear differential for a practical rear propeller shaft. Also, would the length of the front propeller shaft be too long.? This is considering its application is for a MM550.

2. Differential/axle strength:
Would the front and rear differentials and axles be able to take the additional load from the extra low gearing.?
Hi LOR,

1) The propeller shaft lengths will change, easier to make your own prop-shafts.

The change in Prop-Shaft length will not affect the vehicle (very obviously) if the prop-shafts are balanced and Front Axle has FWH.

The difference will hardly be noticed off-road.

My guess is the BW Tcase with suitable adapter plate will take up 30-35cms, this can be accommodated in the Rear prop-shaft.

2) The reason for "Doubler" t-case is to maintain OEM final drive, to make the vehicle more drive-able on road.

In the above case the Prop-Shafts will be the weak link, and better so, since they can be easily changed, or the vehicle can be flat-towed.

"Would I recommend this being done"

Yes for purely academic purposes on a spare Transmission.

Then you can "try" it out.

No, because its a Money Pit.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 13:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

Re: Doubler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

"Would I recommend this being done"

Yes for purely academic purposes on a spare Transmission.

Then you can "try" it out.

No, because its a Money Pit.

Regards,

Arka
The goal is much better low end grunt to get more power to all 4 wheels. You can do it by changing diff ratios, you can do it by going with 2 transfer cases.

Question:

Can you do it, in India, by swapping out transmissions or altering transmission gears? I am talking about non-ecu motors, of course.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks