Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 12:27   #10126
Senior - BHPian

I had an all JBL setup in my previous car which was an Ikon which is sold now.

GTO 936 Rears
GTO 607C Comps
GTO 1214 Sub
Blaupunkt GT4 MK2 4 Channel Amp
Alpine 9883

The setup was best for Rock/Indian music. How would I replicate a similar setup now!? Most of these speakers have been replaced with better upgrades now. But, which one are the best in the current market!
Old 29th April 2010, 21:19   #10127
vsh
BHPian

hi
my co-brother is getting his swift vdi next month. he is not a music buff. pls suggest a music system(brand etc) which can do the job.
Old 30th April 2010, 13:49   #10128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
How is Infinity Kappa 693.9I compared to the JBL GTO-947? My preference of music is Rock/Metal.

I have read reviews about the 947 to be on the brighter side compared to the previous generation of JBL co-ax. Is this true?
I have always found that those that listen to Hard Rock and Heavy Metal prefer the GTO947 over the Kappa693.9I - however they are different speakers from different categories and price points.
Old 30th April 2010, 14:02   #10129
BHPian

Quote:
I had an all JBL setup in my previous car which was an Ikon which is sold now.

GTO 936 Rears
GTO 607C Comps
GTO 1214 Sub
Blaupunkt GT4 MK2 4 Channel Amp
Alpine 9883

The setup was best for Rock/Indian music. How would I replicate a similar setup now!? Most of these speakers have been replaced with better upgrades now. But, which one are the best in the current market!
These are the new models;

GTO 948 Rears
GTO 608c Comps
GTO 1514 Sub

Alpine 9887
Old 30th April 2010, 15:55   #10130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Yes the Kappa is less bright than the 947 but in general JBL is considered the ROCK brand in the Harman line. That said my wife and mom prefered Infinity over JBL for their cars. My wife found the Infinity 6020 too bright when she had them in her Opel Sail (2003-4) so I had to modify them to knock about 0.5db of on their highs. LspCad is a good tool for this purpose.
Is the 947 brighter compared to the 936/938 as well!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I have always found that those that listen to Hard Rock and Heavy Metal prefer the GTO947 over the Kappa693.9I - however they are different speakers from different categories and price points.
@ Sam, what speakers would you suggest irrespective of the price point for hard rock/heavy metal genre music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening
These are the new models;

GTO 948 Rears
GTO 608c Comps
GTO 1514 Sub

Alpine 9887
Only the 9887 has been procured at the moment! I had the similar setup in mind!
Old 30th April 2010, 16:29   #10131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the 947 brighter compared to the 936/938 as well!?
The 947 is brighter than the 938 yes.
Quote:
@ Sam, what speakers would you suggest irrespective of the price point for hard rock/heavy metal genre music!
What would I suggest? Taste is subjective. Between your original choices I'd go for the more forward, bright and rocking speaker.

Heavy Metal isn't about subdued sounds. It's about loud and clear.
Old 30th April 2010, 21:06   #10132
Senior - BHPian

Hi!

I've got a pair of Sony HiFi Speakers 4 way ( MHC-V999AV )from an old system. Can I use these speakers in my Safari with an amp ? instead of using a dedicated sub-woofer..
Old 6th May 2010, 00:57   #10133
BHPian

Hi, I own a Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDI and have had for 3 yrs and over the years 70% of my driving was with very loud music(mostly electronic dance music with heavy bass) . And now I have realized that the rear speakers are rattling when I play a track with heavy bass. They sound perfect about a 2 months back. What can be done to avoid this rattling?

I would really appreciate if someone could fix this problem.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:08   #10134
BHPian

ICE Set up for Safari GX

Hi ICE gurus,

My safari would land sometime this month, and i wanted to upgrade my ICE setup. My requirements are not too complicated, and after reading through the various threads have arrived at the following configuration. Would request the experts for their guidance, before i close on the set up and start looking for the best deal to get it fixed.

I am looking at a balanced sound, not too boomy or loud but with depth. I listen to all kind of genres and hence looking at a balanced set up. I am looking at a budget of 15k (can stretch a bit as well, and will also exchange the OE setup)

This is what i have thought (pls excuse me if there are technical errors, trying to be as accurate as i can)

1. HU - Replace the OE Alpine with a Pioneer HU, my requirements are USB and ipod compatibility (getting this fixed in the alpine HU will be expensive) so looking to change the HU itself, also a HU with a steering mount remote will be good but can do without it if too expensive.

2. Speakers - Replace the ovals in front and rear door, with a set of JBL/ Blau (if model no or configuration can be suggested will be a big help)

3. Sub - Fix a JBL 8" or 10" sub at the back, plan to place it vertical, i.e. the sub facing the rear door (pls tell me if this is okay)

4. Amp - A 2 channel amp, and power the front speakers and the sub through this.

I would also like to understand if i should go for a six speaker set up and plonk two more speakers with the sub at the back, and get a 4 ch amp to power them.

Also what do i do with the tweeters which are fixed near the wing mirrors, just let them be or replace them?

Thanks
Slicks
Old 7th May 2010, 12:50   #10135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra_slk View Post
And now I have realized that the rear speakers are rattling when I play a track with heavy bass. They sound perfect about a 2 months back. What can be done to avoid this rattling?

I would really appreciate if someone could fix this problem.
Well you need to first find out if the noise is electronic (i.e. does the speaker jar when played) or mechanical (i.e. does the speaker vibrate because of the bass from perhaps, the subwoofer)

Question 1 - do you have the OE system or have you upgraded it?
Old 7th May 2010, 13:55   #10136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
Hi ICE gurus,

My safari would land sometime this month, and i wanted to upgrade my ICE setup.

This is what i have thought (pls excuse me if there are technical errors, trying to be as accurate as i can)

1. HU - Replace the OE Alpine with a Pioneer HU, my requirements are USB and ipod compatibility (getting this fixed in the alpine HU will be expensive) so looking to change the HU itself, also a HU with a steering mount remote will be good but can do without it if too expensive.
// What! Safari comes with the iPod connector!

2. Speakers - Replace the ovals in front and rear door, with a set of JBL/ Blau (if model no or configuration can be suggested will be a big help)

//GTO608C is a good buy. I use it.
3. Sub - Fix a JBL 8" or 10" sub at the back, plan to place it vertical, i.e. the sub facing the rear door (pls tell me if this is okay)
//10 or 12 please.

4. Amp - A 2 channel amp, and power the front speakers and the sub through this.
//You need a four channel amp or a mono for the sub

I would also like to understand if i should go for a six speaker set up and plonk two more speakers with the sub at the back, and get a 4 ch amp to power them.
//Why?

Also what do i do with the tweeters which are fixed near the wing mirrors, just let them be or replace them?
//Buy component speakers; they come with tweeters. Check my thread.

Thanks
Slicks
My inputs inline.

Which model EX/GX/VX?

15K is a very tight budget.

Check this too
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...k-25k-30k.html

Last edited by jkdas : 7th May 2010 at 13:57.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:49   #10137
BHPian

Thanks a lot jkdas,

Have put my comments, next to your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
My inputs inline.

// What! Safari comes with the iPod connector! - So i was looking at the ipod connector which charges as well, if the alpine has that feature, then i can stick to the OE HU

2. Speakers - //GTO608C is a good buy. I use it. OK

//10 or 12 please. Ok, is the placement thing ok?

//You need a four channel amp or a mono for the sub OK

//Why? - Just thought of this as an option, will it make a significant difference to the hearing experience?

//Buy component speakers; they come with tweeters. Check my thread. cool

Which model EX/GX/VX? GX

15K is a very tight budget - i have a 20k budget in mind, and i had though that i will get the HU for a small price in exchange for the OE HU, which means i can spend close to 15-16k on the rest of the set up. the basic ICE thread suggested that you can fix an amp, sub and 4 speakers in this budget, and this was the basis of my assumptions.

Do you think this will not be possible to execute in this budget

Check this too
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...k-25k-30k.html
Old 7th May 2010, 18:18   #10138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
1. HU - Replace the OE Alpine with a Pioneer HU, my requirements are USB and ipod compatibility
As JKD asked what version of safari you are looking at- VX/GX/EX/LX?

My VX came with Alpine DVD HU as OEM fitment. It also came with a Alpine KCE-422i iPod cable (free) as accessorry- which I have fitted myself- DIY. I have an iPod nano 5g and this cable works well in terms of searching/playing songs etc. Only charging is not supported- not sure it is because my iPod version (latest 2010 model) or alpine cable (circa 2008) are incompatible. I have also added a steering remote (MPR-999) that I sourced from eBay.com for approx USD ~40/-.

The above setup is probably not the best an audiophile will desire, but, it gets the work done with minimum investment and hassles (no after market parts, no cutting wires, no warranty hassles etc).

Ping me on my ownership thread if you want to know more details/pictures of the installation.

-BJ
Old 7th May 2010, 20:45   #10139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well you need to first find out if the noise is electronic (i.e. does the speaker jar when played) or mechanical (i.e. does the speaker vibrate because of the bass from perhaps, the subwoofer)

Question 1 - do you have the OE system or have you upgraded it?
Its is definitely electronic. And it is the original system. Can this be fixed?
Old 11th May 2010, 13:58   #10140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
As JKD asked what version of safari you are looking at- VX/GX/EX/LX?

My VX came with Alpine DVD HU as OEM fitment. It also came with a Alpine KCE-422i iPod cable (free) as accessorry- which I have fitted myself- DIY. I have an iPod nano 5g and this cable works well in terms of searching/playing songs etc. Only charging is not supported- not sure it is because my iPod version (latest 2010 model) or alpine cable (circa 2008) are incompatible. I have also added a steering remote (MPR-999) that I sourced from eBay.com for approx USD ~40/-.

The above setup is probably not the best an audiophile will desire, but, it gets the work done with minimum investment and hassles (no after market parts, no cutting wires, no warranty hassles etc).

Ping me on my ownership thread if you want to know more details/pictures of the installation.

-BJ
Thanks BJ

Its a Safari GX

Guess i'll look at the HU when the car arrives and take a call on the HU.

I have one more question on the speakers, as suggested by jkd should i go for GTO608C on all four doors or should i put component speakers in the front door only and normal speaker in the rear door, what is the right thing to do here?

Also, if someone can suggest a reliable place in Mumbai to get the work done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks