Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:51   #5176
BANNED

Anyone used Karbonn mobiles | Quality mobile phones with AM FM Radio and all advanced features

One of my friends is looking for a low cost dual-SIM phone.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:09   #5177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
May well be your friend is plain unlucky when it comes to electronics.

Otherwise, the number of people praising the old Nokia N82 is legion!

I have used mine without issues for 20 months until it had a bad fall to a concrete floor. Maybe the camera switch had come misaligned. And now another fall later, the phone has miraculously righted itself.

+1

N82 is an amazing phone. Given that the price hasn't reduced significantly even after 2 years of launch speaks about it. And as DerAlte mentioned, the Xenon flash does add some value!!

jk,
I feel your friend is unlucky. Maybe he could upgrade firmware etc etc.

OT: Does Nokia sell the casings for the N82 ?
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:33   #5178
BHPian

4k for your e51 is a good price.which blackberry model are you upgrading too?i can help you with the pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Guys, I have been planning to move to a BlackBerry. The mobile store guys are ready to pay 4K for my E51. It is has slight scratches on the screen (the usual ones caused by normal usage) otherwise in perfect condition. Is the price okay?
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:33   #5179
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Casings for the N82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
OT: Does Nokia sell the casings for the N82 ?
Yes indeed. Yesterday, humyum and I saw the following two items at a mobile showroom in Ghatkopar, Mumbai.

1) The following casings for a Black Nokia N82 (Arabic market model).

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-n82kit1.jpg

Note that besides the casings themselves, the kit also contained
the GPS and GSM/WiFi/Bluetooth antennas and the 3.5 mm. audio/video connector.
But the kit did not include the User Interface module keymat and microphone.

2) The following casings for a Chrome Nokia N82.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-n82kit2.jpg

The Window Assembly and Keymat cover looked genuine Nokia.
To me, the Keymat looked clearly Chinese aftermarket.
The finish of the chrome plating on the left softkey/S60 menukey
and on the right softkey/cancelkey with embedded N-series multmedia key
was shinier than what you get on an original Chrome N82.

May have been just me, but the send/answer
and end call keys and the central 'ring with central button style' d-pad
looked a little duller and yellower than what one sees on an original Chrome N82.

And it was only the keymat, not the keyboard hardware itself.

The shop was asking Rs. 3,675 for Item #1,
and Rs. 1,350 for the Item #2.

OT: The N82 officially sold in India, is the RM-313 model with WiFi WLAN and 3G. The shop quoted Rs. 13,800 for a new Nokia N82 in box, sans bill, sans warranty.

Also beware of the cheaper Chinese Nokia N82 RM-314 model. These are missing the WiFi WLAN functionality and are 2G.

Ram
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:04   #5180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
4k for your e51 is a good price.which blackberry model are you upgrading too?i can help you with the pricing.
Thanks bro. I was looking at the new 8520. What kind of price do you think i can get it at?
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:11   #5181
BHPian

Looks like the Nokia E72 will sell for 23k according to Univercell.

The price of E63 seems to be just 10.5k now. Is it worth buying it now or will the price drop further?
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:20   #5182
BHPian

the pricing of e 63 wont drop further.the price drop is only to make way for the E52,might be priced at 15k.coming soon
E63 is priced at 10k inclusive of all taxes in bangalore.

Last edited by nandishpal : 3rd September 2009 at 17:21.
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:32   #5183
Team-BHP Support

Any idea of how to make e63 compatible with a .wab address book please ?
Old 4th September 2009, 10:22   #5184
Team-BHP Support

Blackberry or iPhone

My office wants me to get a Blackberry so I can read emails. My newphew says the iPhone is better.

1. Which are the best models of these 2 brands?
2. I am email challenged. Dont expect me to do Facebook or Twitter on a phone.
3. I read the review in Fortune and it's quiz leads me to the Black Berry but I am so afraid of this device all those buttons (who needs a whole keyboard that is just 2.5" wide anyway). On the other hand the iPhone I saw and used (an older 3G version) is worse. I cant understand the touch screen - there is no tactile feel. However the emails I saw were (or atleast looked) better formatted on the BlackBerrry Bold than the iPhone 3G.
4. I will not reply to most emails but will need to read them. I will usually reply via phone call but just in case I need to email which device is easier (less learning curve).
5. Which device is easier to send SMS with?

I see no difference between my current Sony G900 and my first phone (Siemens S4) but for the size. I dont want clutter. I want something I can use from day one. Read emails, reply to a few, send SMS and vCards, and make phone calls all with one hand.

Techies. Think of a phone you'd buy your Dad or Granddad or some senile old Uncle.

Last edited by navin : 4th September 2009 at 10:24.
Old 4th September 2009, 10:36   #5185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Blackberry or iPhone

My office wants me to get a Blackberry so I can read emails. My newphew says the iPhone is better.

1. Which are the best models of these 2 brands?
2. I am email challenged. Dont expect me to do Facebook or Twitter on a phone.
3. I read the review in Fortune and it's quiz leads me to the Black Berry but I am so afraid of this device all those buttons (who needs a whole keyboard that is just 2.5" wide anyway). On the other hand the iPhone I saw and used (an older 3G version) is worse. I cant understand the touch screen - there is no tactile feel. However the emails I saw were (or atleast looked) better formatted on the BlackBerrry Bold than the iPhone 3G.
4. I will not reply to most emails but will need to read them. I will usually reply via phone call but just in case I need to email which device is easier (less learning curve).
5. Which device is easier to send SMS with?

I see no difference between my current Sony G900 and my first phone (Siemens S4) but for the size. I dont want clutter. I want something I can use from day one. Read emails, reply to a few, send SMS and vCards, and make phone calls all with one hand.

Techies. Think of a phone you'd buy your Dad or Granddad or some senile old Uncle.
Navin, I did the iPhone v/s BB quiz in the Fortune too and landed up with iPhone as my choice

But to answer your questions, here goes
1.iPhone 3gS & BB Bold are the top end models. Although I prefer the BB Curve 8900, while the BB 8520 is great value !

2.If Email is the prime feature of use, the BB is better. Because the keys make it easier to type long mails and the push mail service is unbeatable on the BB.

3.If you want a tactile feel then BB wins again. Regarding the formating I dont see why that should be an issue, perhaps adjusting the font size would resolve this.

4.Every device takes some time to get used to hence the learning curve eitherway will be similar.

5.BB is better for SMS thanks to a full QWERTY with actual keys unlike the iPhone. And you also have BB messenger ! Which is the new gen SMS

I have been using the iPhone for the past 2 years and to be honest its a far better phone than any BB out there. But thats because of my usage pattern, I browse a lot, no phone comes close to the iPhone for that. I email often too but I do miss keys and prefer typing on the BB. The apps that the iPhone provides make the phone a whooole lot more fun! That being said, I am quite bored of the iPhone and might switch over to BB

However for your needs I am pretty certain the BB is the way to go. Don't sweat, just get it !
Old 4th September 2009, 11:05   #5186
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In head-to-head comparison, TD2 has better scores than iPhone.
Everyday I am seeing new sites designed specifically for iPhone and new apps customized for iPhone. I am not aware of any site that customizes its contents other than iPhone. Atleast for this, iPhone is better buy.
Old 4th September 2009, 11:21   #5187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Although I prefer the BB Curve 8900,
2.If Email is the prime feature of use, the BB is better.
3.If you want a tactile feel then BB wins again.
4.the learning curve eitherway will be similar.
5.BB is better for SMS

The apps that the iPhone provides make the phone a whooole lot more fun! That being said, I am quite bored of the iPhone and might switch over to BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Everyday I am seeing new sites designed specifically for iPhone and new apps customized for iPhone. I am not aware of any site that customizes its contents other than iPhone. Atleast for this, iPhone is better buy.
Thanks Sahil. I think I'll get the BB. I went to BB's website and found this 9630 Tour model that looked best to me only it does not have Wi-Fi . What is Wi-Fi used for in a phone. Only browsing? In which case I dont care. Then I called Vodaphone and they dont have it. They have the Curve 8900 and Bold though. Bold feels a bit too big for one hand SMS though.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

diabloo, I wont be browing on a device with a 3" screen. What apps would the iPhone have that seperate it from the rest? Like I told my IT guys, I could do as much with my old Siemens S4 as I can with my current phone. In some ways l loved that old S4. It was simple, big, heavy, the buttons were superb, and when you used it you felt like you were actually holding a proper telephone reciever. Todays phones are so small and so feature full that they forget that these devices need to be phones first and camera, borwsers, GPSs, later.

Last edited by navin : 4th September 2009 at 11:26.
Old 4th September 2009, 12:03   #5188
Team-BHP Support

Get a basic BB which looks good from your approved service provider, that will suffice your needs.
Old 4th September 2009, 13:15   #5189
Distinguished - BHPian

Navin - There is no need to buy the device from Vodafone. You get unlocked BB's in the market for much cheaper with bill and warranty.

The tour is the best option if you don't care for wifi browsing. But I personally prefer the 8900 keys that are separated. The tour has bold style keys which are joint so you might land up pressing two instead of one. But this is personal preference, so just play around with the phones to see what suits you best. The tour is not available everywhere yet so if you are in a hurry just get the 8900 it costs 23.5k from what I know last with bill & warranty.
Avoid Croma & The Mobile Store they are more expensive for BB somehow.
Old 4th September 2009, 18:32   #5190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The tour is the best option if you don't care for wifi browsing. But I personally prefer the 8900 keys that are separated.
I liked parts of the Bold and the 8900. All of the senior management has shifted to BB in my office so there were plenty of Bolds and 8900s around (these 2 models seem most popular). I like the 8900 keys but wish it was just a touch larger. The Bold on the other hand was a touch too large. When I checked the net it said the difference in width is only 6mm. It sure feels a lot more.

I am the last person in my office who is getting a BB so if I get a Tour and I misplace it atleast everyone will know whose BB it is. WIth a Bold or 8900 it will get confusing. I got the Sony G900 for the same reason. Noone else liked it. Easy to find. I am prone to forgetting my phone in conference rooms, the lunch rooms or on colleagues desks. I dont get too many mobile calls between 9 and 5 anyway so often I dont miss it the whole day.

The under 40 crowd however prefer the iPhone. There are some games I seethem play that involve waving, shaking and tilting the iPhone like the Wii. It's a phone I say not some Magic Wand.

If I buy from Vodaphone some nice guy will come and configure the phone for me including entering all my email addreses and passwords etc.. and can I explain to this nice guy (the same guy comes everytime I need help so he knows me) what I want the phone to do. After that it is his problem.

Last edited by navin : 4th September 2009 at 18:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks