Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2009, 17:19   #1711
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently bought a 1978 Premier Padmini, and drove to Mahabaleshwar the next day. Here are some pictures of the car shot outside Pranlal Bhogilal's imposing bungalow gates, a pilgrimage of sorts for me.

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-picture-057.jpg

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-picture-059.jpg

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-picture-060.jpg

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-01.jpg

The car was bought new for the illustrious Poonawalla family in factory painted two-tone brown and white (I forget the name of the colours, Behram can you oblige?). It was fitted with a period 'Vornado' AC (of which only the blower survives). The car changed hands in 91 and was purchased by the gentleman who heads the Pune chapter of the WIAA, and has been a judge at many classic car events over the years. He too maintained the car in great shape exactly the way he recieved it, and I purchased it from him. The car requires minimal mechanical work, and perhaps an overcoat in the future. For now I hope to preserve it the way it is, even the old Goodyear tyres shall remain, these medium thickness whitewalls are not seen today, and add a nice period touch.

Though I don't have a particularly soft spot for Padminis, I figured you can't get one with better provenance than this.
Old 29th June 2009, 20:55   #1712
Senior - BHPian

You sir are a confirmed Fiat nut case. The scarcity of Fiats in Mumbai and Pune are dedicated to you and Rony.

Congrats on your yet another Fiat added to your garag.
Old 29th June 2009, 21:29   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I recently bought a 1978 Premier Padmini, and drove to Mahabaleshwar the next day.
Thats a really nice car we used to have a similar colour Padmini. Nasik registration. I have the owners and service manual should you lack one in this car.
Old 29th June 2009, 23:12   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Lovely, Karl - what a looker the Padmini is ...
Amazing how Poona preserves her cars -
While Bombay cars rust like it was their birthright.
Old 30th June 2009, 00:35   #1715

Guys, We were plying to have a Drive to lonavala this weekend. I hope the Pune boys can make it too..

Details will be put up tomorrow. Roni, Do the honors!!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 30th June 2009 at 00:38.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:10   #1716
BHPian

@ Karl, your Padmini is just awesome.
Nics to see a padmini in a very good shape, after seeing Padmini taxis getting scrapped here in Mumbai.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:50   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are older pics of the car, courtesy Moralfibre.

Incidentally MHP 111 is a white select lying neglected in Pune, MHP 122 used to be a nice black 57, now scrapped.
Talking of co-incidence, the moment i saw the pics of MHP 121 i knew i had seen the number 121 on a similar Fiat. Here are the pics of that car. I had taken this pic in 2007. Whats the current state of the car and its location not known.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-02.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-image014.jpg  

Last edited by egangsta : 30th June 2009 at 10:52.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:09   #1718
Distinguished - BHPian

Many thanks gentlemen. Only 1 more to go between Rony and me to have one of each model of Fiat 1100s sold in India. Then we start collecting Padminis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I have the owners and service manual should you lack one in this car.
Yes please, it would look super placed in the glovebox. Thanks!
Old 30th June 2009, 11:30   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You sir are a confirmed Fiat nut case. The scarcity of Fiats in Mumbai and Pune are dedicated to you and Rony.

Congrats on your yet another Fiat added to your garage.
OYE OYE!! Gogi Sirji!
It is the other way around.
We are making good the scarcity in Mumbai and Pune, by procuring and preserving all the OH REE G NAL FIATS from all parts of the country, which otherwise would someday be contributed to the metal re-cycle industry, by their previous first owners.
Old 30th June 2009, 15:35   #1720
BHPian

FCCCI Meet at PRITAM, Sunday 5th July, 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Chaps..
What's the plan for this sunday ? 5 gardens, or Lonavala ? Maybe Lonavala's better next month as the rains will really be there in full blast then.
@Ravi. We had planned Lonavla but as you rightfully think, it is pointless going without the rains pouring cats and dogs, for the FCCCI monsoon rally.
So, we should postpone Lonavla for 2nd August '09 meet instead.
and.............We can re-confirm that later, if suitable to all the members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Guys, We were plying to have a Drive to lonavala this weekend. I hope the Pune boys can make it too..

Details will be put up tomorrow. Rony, Do the honors!!
@Cyrus. Since the weather is not yet conducive for the Lonavla FCCCI trip as planned earlier and we have this "Burning issue" of "20 year old PRIVATE cars to be phased out" and the hearing in HC on 8th July '09 to be thought and discussed about, let us all plan to meet up around 1130ish, and try to resolve it, instead.
Our very own Gogi, has been so very kind (as always) in offering us a room for the meet at PRITAM for the same. We can simultaneously feast on a self contributory brunch. Feroze Mehta is very keen about the meeting to discuss this issue and we can join hands and do some brainstorming, to try and save our RANIS and MAHARANIS from the Governments axe.
Team Bhpians, Vintage and Classic Car & Bike owners and enthusiasts, Car & Bike enthusiasts without Cars and Bikes and others from all parts of our Janmabhoomi our "Most Welcome".

Guys, do come up with your confirmations soon, in order to make this FIATFUL meet a very purposefull and successfull one.

Best Regards,
Rony
Old 30th June 2009, 17:26   #1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
@Ravi. We had planned Lonavla but as you rightfully think, it is pointless going without the rains pouring cats and dogs, for the FCCCI monsoon rally.
So, we should postpone Lonavla for 2nd August '09 meet instead.
and.............We can re-confirm that later, if suitable to all the members.

@Cyrus. Since the weather is not yet conducive for the Lonavla FCCCI trip as planned earlier and we have this "Burning issue" of "20 year old PRIVATE cars to be phased out" and the hearing in HC on 8th July '09 to be thought and discussed about, let us all plan to meet up around 1130ish, and try to resolve it, instead.
Our very own Gogi, has been so very kind (as always) in offering us a room for the meet at PRITAM for the same. We can simultaneously feast on a self contributory brunch. Feroze Mehta is very keen about the meeting to discuss this issue and we can join hands and do some brainstorming, to try and save our RANIS and MAHARANIS from the Governments axe.
Team Bhpians, Vintage and Classic Car & Bike owners and enthusiasts, Car & Bike enthusiasts without Cars and Bikes and others from all parts of our Janmabhoomi our "Most Welcome".

Guys, do come up with your confirmations soon, in order to make this FIATFUL meet a very purposefull and successfull one.

Best Regards,
Rony
Brilliant Idea!! So 11:30 @ Pritam Hotel it is!!
Old 30th June 2009, 19:02   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
OYE OYE!! Gogi Sirji!
It is the other way around.
We are making good the scarcity in Mumbai and Pune, by procuring and preserving all the OH REE G NAL FIATS from all parts of the country, which otherwise would someday be contributed to the metal re-cycle industry, by their previous first owners.
Sure sir sure, thats what i meant.

Re the meet as Rony has mentioned, is fixed at 11:30 am on Sunday, at the Banquet hall on the 1st floor above Pritam Restaurant at Dadar.

Please confirm on this thread so that i know how many people are coming. Lets find a solution for this problem. Anyone know the press, we can invite someone to cover this meet.
Old 30th June 2009, 21:40   #1723
BHPian

Yesterday i got one nostalgic picture of FIAT.A man with FIAT Bharatratna Dr. Dhondo Keshav Karve.(April 18,1858-Nov.1962).A prominent social reformer of his time in india in the field of women's welfare.The govt.of india recoginized his reform work by awarding him highest civilion award,BHARAT RATNA,IN 1958(INCIDENTALY HIS CENTENNIAL YEAR)
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-fiat-1.jpg  

Old 30th June 2009, 22:29   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldeep View Post
Yesterday i got one nostalgic picture of FIAT.A man with FIAT Bharatratna Dr. Dhondo Keshav Karve.(April 18,1858-Nov.1962).A prominent social reformer of his time in india in the field of women's welfare.The govt.of india recoginized his reform work by awarding him highest civilion award,BHARAT RATNA,IN 1958(INCIDENTALY HIS CENTENNIAL YEAR)
Lovely car Deepak. Must've been BRAND NEW at the time the picture was taken !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Sure sir sure, thats what i meant.

Re the meet as Rony has mentioned, is fixed at 11:30 am on Sunday, at the Banquet hall on the 1st floor above Pritam Restaurant at Dadar.

Please confirm on this thread so that i know how many people are coming. Lets find a solution for this problem. Anyone know the press, we can invite someone to cover this meet.
I'm very much in guys.. I'm angry and fuming, and have a few scores to settle with the "powers that be" in the government.
My suggestion is: let's firm up a strategy of sorts, or at least a few very logical and presentable views / quotes / opinions, and only then try to get the press in.
To make our opinions more presentable and printable, I suggest that we take a joint picture of whichever available cars from our group. It'll go very well, and add weight to whatever we're trying to put across.
See you guys then 11.30 at Pritam.
p.s.: Dhrishikesh is our latest member.. Are you in Hrishi ?
Old 30th June 2009, 22:38   #1725
BHPian

Yes Ravi, I am in for this meet. Will come with you for this event & I think Salil is also going to come.
Thank you Ravi !!!

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 30th June 2009 at 22:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks